How do I effectively change a load.ini to swap textures?

So . . . I am dipping my toe into map making with this. Yes I know there is an entire tutorial on map making, but I was wondering if there was a quick and dirty way to swap out textures in the load.ini and effectively change the look of a map?

Another part of that question is
where do texture files like Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood4.tga reside in relation to the Maps folder?

I wanted to tweak a map and thought this might be a pretty painless way to get started modding stuff by altering existing textures and giving them new names.

Thanks for any thought or info

Triad

The texture files rest in the _Tex folder in the maps folder inside the mapmod folder.As far as changing the TARGA file in the load ini it's just a matter of copying and pasting the name of the different TARGA file in there that you want to use.That's how I got my channel map to look like this [Image: england.jpg]I used some of the TARGA files available here and I made some of my own using Google earth.

Cool! Thanks Gumpy- I will look around there tho I didn't see it upon first inspection. In _Tex I don't have a folder for Italy_DF. Did a search in Maps and nothing. I know I must be missing something Tongue

If it's a TARGA file from one of the original maps it may not be in that location it may be one of those hard coded things.Sorry I forgot that tidbit.

Gumpy Wrote:If it's a TARGA file from one of the original maps it may not be in that location it may be one of those hard coded things.Sorry I forgot that tidbit.

DOH! Well maybe there is a way to path that out to point to say a new directory in the _Text folder? It's also be useful to have access to that original tga if possible.

If after a few more posts if I can't get what I am after I'll take the plunge and look at the tutorial for map making some. I was telling my wife about this and I swear I could see the smile just about slide off her face Wink

Yes you can definitely add it to the _Tex folder and point the load ini to that location if that's what you mean,as far as digging that original TARGA file out good luck on that one,and as far as that other thing,well good luck on that to ,mine left me long ago. Big Grin

Thanks Gumpy! I think I know what I need to do. What ever I do, if I post something, credit will be given to all texture originators.

Triad

Yep if I were you I'd be in the tutorial for map making but I hoped I helped a little bit.

Yeah well I though possibly I could get off on the cheap timewise, but as one developer I used to work with once said 'when all else fails, RTFM.' (read the freaking manual Wink ) That's what I am going to do Wink

Thanks for your responses Gumpy.

Triad

for starters you need the sfs extractor, .net 2,0 & imf viewer to extract and convert images into readable format

3 important releases which you may want to study:
Flushmeisters bumpification mod, Default map upgrade pack http://files.filefront.com/vp+default+m ... einfo.html, Texture library for mapbuilders: http://files.filefront.com/vp+il2textur ... einfo.html available at my site

I would start by extracting all map related files and understanding the file structure

cheers

Thanks VPMedia- looks good!

Textures certainly is a primary area of interest.

I appreciate the links

Triad