A map of Europe is it possible?

Hi friends!

I think it'd be good to have a historical map of the western front of Europe for use in the context of the end of the Second World War.

I took a map of Europe and I have dark colored area which I believe would of interest to us.

What you think is it possible as a map of Europe?

If I do not know how I would do it myself, but unfortunately I do not know how to do that.

However if this interests any of you make such a map of Europe, I could perhaps help with any and manner.

[Image: 1024x768q.jpg]

[Image: ghostridero.jpg]

The 352nd group will be making such a map after they have finished their 1:1 scale BoB one Big Grin

Look forward to it - some great ideas for Spit X1V missions already! Big Grin

Good luck finding someone willing to manually populate a 1:1 map that includes 5 Capitals and some of the densest industrial areas in the world (then and now).

A map like this would take a very (as in years) long time to make, would take ages to load and would create massive stutters even on brand new computers. You wouldn't even be able to recreate 1000 bomber raids as your game would turn into a real slideshow.

A map of Europe is a great idea in itself, but it would be very hard to make and I don't believe anyone would undertake such a challenge now with SoW at the gates.

Cheers

Nico

VonBarb. Wrote:Good luck finding someone willing to manually populate a 1:1 map that includes 5 Capitals and some of the densest industrial areas in the world (then and now).

A map like this would take a very (as in years) long time to make, would take ages to load and would create massive stutters even on brand new computers. You wouldn't even be able to recreate 1000 bomber raids as your game would turn into a real slideshow.

A map of Europe is a great idea in itself, but it would be very hard to make and I don't believe anyone would undertake such a challenge now with SoW at the gates.

Cheers

Nico

As I said, the 352nd group plan to do it based aound their BoB map. I imagine that it is intended for bombing mission primarily, so I can't see it being densely populated. But I do unserstand what you mean about loading times etc. However, isn't it possible to have a big map with nothing on it that loads relatively easily? Wink

The bigger the map, the more memory it'll use and the longer the loading times. Just look at The Slot : a gigantic, relatively empty map, and it causes some issues on some machines. Canon actually spent quite a lot of time making sure his Channel objects wouldn't be too much of a burden on players' systems, then spent even more time populating the map, and it was not 1:1 and not covering such a huge area. Despite that, some people are still experiencing slowdowns...

You could technically make a completely barren map, with no autotrees, no roads, no buildings and simple flat textures to symbolise cities, but there wouldn't be much fun in that, would there ? It would only be useable by bombers as descending under a given altitude would destroy the 'magic'.

Each to their own I guess, but I'd rather have a set of smaller, populated maps to represent each time period/operation than one big - but empty - generic map.

Good luck to the 352nd in their endeavour, they're going to need it !

Cheers

Nico

philip.ed Wrote:
VonBarb. Wrote:Good luck finding someone willing to manually populate a 1:1 map that includes 5 Capitals and some of the densest industrial areas in the world (then and now).

Cheers

Nico

As I said, the 352nd group plan to do it based aound their BoB map. I imagine that it is intended for bombing mission primarily, so I can't see it being densely populated. But I do unserstand what you mean about loading times etc. However, isn't it possible to have a big map with nothing on it that loads relatively easily? Wink

I don't think that the OP meant it as a bombing map. I think that he, like the rest of us, would love to see a Euorpe map in IL-2, but doesn't understand the game's limitations.
Besides, what's the point of a map that loads fast if there's no detail? I had a quick look at the Denmark map. I realise that it's a WIP but as it stands, i.e. empty, it's fairly useless.

Good luck with it if the 352nd take it on, but you'd better bear in mind just how long it's taken for the 1:1 BoB map, and you're going to be adding half of Europe on to that.

Personally, I don't believe we'll ever see a good 1:1 Europe map; it'll just be too much time and effort to make it. (Even if it doesn't fall foul of the maximum map size possible in IL-2.)

:cheers:

if there only was a way of knitting all existing maps together and just make new ones for the blank spots it would solve lots of problems and saves tons of time aswell.

maybe even a way of making maps one through loading screens from one map going through another for keeping the game up to speed then it doesn't mather realy if it dense populated or not

In case you didn't know, there are already two maps in the making which covers more or less this area:

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...hp?t=20307
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...32&start=0

Both maps look fingerlicking good at this stage but as mentioned before it takes a long time to populate this part of Europe.
Take for instance Canonuk's English Channel map which took over a year to complete it.
And the 352nd VFG are working on their Cross Channel map for ages and I really got no clue when that one will be finished.

Hi Friends!

The lower and do not necessarily respect the greatness of the major large city would be a possibility, it seems, think about you?

I think this portion of the western front was lacking, it would be very useful to set up large campaign.

[Image: 1024x7682a.jpg]

[Image: ghostriders.jpg]

for one i miss Holland and an emptey landscape doesn't realy do it for me tbh i rather would have no map then lol

I love to inject a sence of realism into the game and a 1.1 scale, fully populated map of Europe would make a fantastic battle ground but would it be used?
Fighter jocks can already swan around southern Britain and northern France and there is enough airspace for decent bomber missions and fighter bomber raids
using mosquitos and tempests etc. Imagine then on a 1.1 scale map of europe if you plotted a bomber raid from Shipdam in Norfolk to hit Berlin or Frankfurt,
you would be looking at nearly 4 hours flight time to target and the same back again, have you got 8 hours to kill in the evening? or would you simply hit
4x speed to get you there on the hurry up? if that was the case then there would be no point in having the 1.1 scale map at all, you would only need a 1.4 map
and keep the speed at normal.

I think the best way to go is probably lots of heavily detailed smaller/medium maps that can be linked in with specific camapigns like Arnhem, Ardennes, Rhine that sort of thing. I don't fly bombers much anyway on account of being useless at it. :oops:

I have no pronblem with the Slot map at all - so medium/big is getting more acceptable these days and near future as pc processors get more powerful and we can really pile the RAM in too. Suppose the biggest maps could be starved of ground objects and then just populated locally by the mission builders for the area they need?

Guess flying heavies from England to Germany and beyond day and night was only really possible on cfs3? Unfortunately that was probably its only good feature. Big Grin