Thread Closed

[WIP] Ta283

tater718 Wrote:I'm not a modder(this was KINDLY pointed out to me once)but it would appear that the engine management would actually be quite simple. Due to asymetrical thrust with one engine out,the other engine would have been shut down immediatly.

I can't imagine that guns would be effective armament for this beast as bomber interceptor.The Me163 jockeys claimed they had about one second firing time when attacking bombers from twelve o'clock. Perhaps X4's or the like is called for. Just an idea.

I'd like to see this bird in Il2 in any form whatsoever. If all it had for a loadout was paratroopers,it would still be cool.You are right about the advantages of building a '46 paper plane.You can do whatever you like and tell those FEW annoying history dweebs to go take a hike.

S!

The problem with the engine management is the all or nothing nature of it, not the complexity of handling various controls, and that it also requires very close attention to your ASI, since there's not just a maximum speed you can't exceed (which it could - verrry easily in some circumstances) but also a minimum speed. Also, whilst you have a point about asymetirc thrust, remember that a pilot might well be otherwise occupied at the time and cannot react quickly. Such unbalanced thrust would produce a marked tendency to roll, not just because of asymetrism, but also becaue the initial yaw will present more wing surface on the powered side as the aeroplane begins to crab, thus lifting that wing while the other loses lift. Not only that, but a spin resulting from a shock stall is all the more possible. I would also argue that heat is a constant problem, as slower flight will result in a hotter shroud and that might cause failures, so close eyes on the temperature gauge recommended.

You're right, it is possible to do as you please, but I have to say the likeliehood of paratroops in the loadout isn't great! Big Grin

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:We have Me-262 with 4 cannons...

And it still sucks, lol

European Snake Wrote:

And it still sucks, lol
it does not

European Snake Wrote:

And it still sucks, lol

If you aim correctly, it will do a lot of damage, but if you aim beneath it, yes, you can say then it sucks... :lol:

tater718 Wrote:There are valid reasons that there never was an operational ramjet in any service. But it would be a blast to fly!

Until you have to land. Although the 283 would gide as any other aeroplane, the short span and swept back wings don't lend themselves to slow flight. If you mess up the approach, it's unlikely you'll have any emergency power, and since you'll be gliding in, you have to get it right. Worse still, there's no power available for taxiing.

When you first see the 283, the appearance wows you. When you consider how cheap and crude its manufacture would have been, how few instruments and controls it needed in the cockpit, and how basic its systems are, you realise what a primitive aeroplane it actually would have been.

Cranky.1 Wrote:Wow this Plane looks like samething out of Star Wars.
[Image: jg283-2.jpg]
[Image: jg283-1.jpg]
[Image: mr283-1.jpg]
Photos from http://www.luft46.com/fw/fwta283.html
Keep working on this mod this is a true IL2 1946 what if?
can't wait to jump it the cockpit.
keep up your great work Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Depends whether your talking about the prequel or the original trilogy because they had very different designs in every aspect of creating it.

Oh and while your at it maybe with that new star wars map that someone making we could make A Naboo N1 starfighter oh and some of the Noobian royal transport etc. They are very sleek in design. They look like flying knifes.

You know what? It dawned on me last night that IL2 already has a rocket/ramjet combo programmed in. After reading up on the BI-6 in the aircraft guide it sounded very close to what I was hoping for, so I gave it a try, switching off the rocket and flying on ramjets. An interesting if sobering experience. At least it's a starting point for the flight model. There are differences of course. In the BI-6 the rocket is the main engine whereas in the 283 it's only a launch mechanism, and the aerodynamic handling is way different. But at least I know it can be done.

3DS Max is one ridiculous program isn't it? All those options and buttons and nothing seems to make any difference! Nonetheless I'm getting to know it and the prototype jigs are now in place in Caldrails Completely Crackers Construction Company.

[Image: progress01.jpg]

Setup looks promising. I always hoped s.o. would take on this "abandon all hope, ye who enter here"-ride.

Every success ! :thumbsup:

Any news on this interesting project?
Thread Closed