bf109 e7 engine failure

hallo mates just 1 question:

i just intalled 1.2 yesterday. Im playing with the bf109 e7/z, when i put the engine at 110%, it get inoperable in minutes... with the plane undamaged, for example in take-off. The complex engine management is off

Any ideas?

it's normal.
this aircraft has a sensitive engine. don't overdrive it. real life behavious seems to be modelled.

already was so with stock game, no mod thing.

engine management may help but stay below 100 helps too. other may know more details.

You're using the Water Methanol Injection (or MW, as it's called in the game) boost, it's for high altitude use only (above 5 or 6 Km as far as I can remember)
110% power is not a problem at all, but if you mismanage the boost, you will cook your engine in a couple of minutes, even if you just quickly tap it on and off again...

ty very much sir.

after more testing, im getting this problem even at 100% throtle.

maibe i must "prewarm" the engine?

sorry for my rost english

The german engines tend to sease up if you inject MW-50 at the wrong rpm, i dont know when it likes it but i tend to get it working at max then inject it.
There is only noticable improvement at about 5000m +, and make sure the radiators are fully open, some early models dont have automatic radiators it think.

Also check your PROP pitch.

i solve this problem with a hearing to the engine ,when it goes to very high rpm then the engine screams and thats the latest moment to drop rpm
when i do this -it works with 80% -

problem solved, just dont set up to 100%, keep an eye in the RPM and temp and set radiatros to full open.

forget 100% and more in low altittude

I have the same problem, I try to adjust power too much in a dogfight, and the mistake has lead to many cooked Diamler Benz DB601 under my name.

Im trying to teach myself about the propellor adjustment gauge (right side instrument that looks like a clock) and ATAs (manifold pressure) but I keep getting amateur descriptions for late-war models on other games (example http://wiki.flightgear.org/Messerschmitt_Bf_109)

Wish there was proper pilots notes or a manual in english!

Hi, guys

Here in this thread is a lot of good advice so far.

I would say that all engines have a maximum sustainable revolutions per minute. The maximum sustainable RPM varies with each engine type.

Speaking only in general terms:

1) In-line, V, and opposing cylinder designs typically ( but not always ) have a maximum sustainable RPM of about 2,400 to 3,000 RPMs - depending on individual engine type. A particular V engine might have a maximum of about 2,700 sustainable RPM, for example.

2) Radial engines are generally less in maximum sustainable RPM ( compared to the V-block engines ) by a couple hundred or more. Typical would be about 2,300 to 2,800 maximum sustainable RPM. This does not hinder the power results of them, however, because of the high torque of radial engines.

There are a few engines which are exceptions to these ranges.

For World War Two fighters, especially front line types like the Bf-109s, it is ideal to keep the RPM at maximum sustainable RPM from take-off until circling the base to land. ( Sometimes pilots under attack while landing would do a "hot landing" at high speed if there was a long enough runway, but that is another exception. )

Keeping the RPM at maximum sustainable RPM is the only sure way of ensuring the most power for long periods, keeping in mind that your throttle position will change somewhat in diving and climbing despite this. For this reason we should be looking at the RPM gauge to judge what throttle changes to make.

For aircraft with automatic pitch prop adjustment, this is much easier. ( For other planes, you will have to adjust prop pitch. )

Find the maximum sustainable RPM for your aircraft type and fly according to it during take-off and combat.

For the Bf-109 types, this is easier than some other fighters because of automatic systems. It shows how important it is to know your planes capabilities.

This will give you the most power without damaging your engine.

In conclusion: The rated Maximum Sustainable RPM is the most important issue, but radiator flaps and Methol Water Injection are factors, too.

The stock IL-2 1946 has a tutorial mission on how to fly the Bf-109, which might help.

Smile

Fireskull