[Mod] DSM - Distant Sounds Mod

If you simply remove the buttons file from this mod and put the folder the Files folder is in into your MODS folder it will do the same thing as pasting it over your current files folder.

You don't have to actually merge it with your files folder. This way you can un install it if you want.

I'm just curious, but why wouldn't this be in the beta-mods section? There is an in-depth review of this mod by CirX...er, elsewhere, and while there are certainly some good things about this mod, there are some hinky things as well. I always understood that this section was for mods completely tested out by the admins here, with basically no caveats--unlike the beta section--but I don't get the feeling they did on this one yet.

Just wondering. Thanks.

Could someone post a step by step installation instructions for stupid people like me? I have HSFX, and I'm a bit confused between the Readme in the mod and what is being instructed in this thread, and I'm having a hard time following.

Thanks...

really cool! i love it!

i'm making a short video up right now so others can see if they'd want it or not. really nice effects in this one. the gun sounds are amazing...as well as the flybys...

to install...this is what i did:

1) create new folder in MODS folder and call it whatever you want... i just called it 'soundmod'
2) copy 'presets' and 'samples' into that folder
3) thats it!

WOW it seems pretty amazing indeed, i am downloading it right now, thank you a lot! ^_^.

aviatorsneah Wrote:really cool! i love it!

i'm making a short video up right now so others can see if they'd want it or not. really nice effects in this one. the gun sounds are amazing...as well as the flybys...

to install...this is what i did:

1) create new folder in MODS folder and call it whatever you want... i just called it 'soundmod'
3) thats it!

Not exactly ...
You must copy the ALL files from the Files folder, and can be in a folder MODS, as you like.
Simply copying the Presets and Samples not enough, you risk not hear the sounds of a variety of weapons.

In general, thanks for the good reviews, Mod will be developed, specifically for him create new buttons

heres a quick UNEDITED video i did of this sound mod. just a group of A-20s attacking an airfield. you can hear the cool flybys and the 'distant' gunfire....really cool!

and i guess i didn't install it correctly either according to redbatflight....so maybe when i do it'll be even better. Big Grin

turn your volume waaaay up....it sounds like a real battle. also like to point out that the flyby sounds aren't 'faked' (i.e. you can fly by, turn the airplane around, and return and still get the same sound....AND it varies with speed).

THANKS! love it!

btw...this is over a UP2.0 install. 8)

Wonderful mod! I do like the Tiger33 sounds much much more, but is there a way where we combine the Tiger33's sounds with having the athmosphere where this sound mod? I am been trying to swap sound samples, sound presets, and bunch of other files, but to no avail. Sad

just do not use classfiles from this mod! it looks like those classes are from two years old soundmod .93 . do not rewrite any classes in your files folder!

SlowBurn68 Wrote:Could someone post a step by step installation instructions for stupid people like me? I have HSFX, and I'm a bit confused between the Readme in the mod and what is being instructed in this thread, and I'm having a hard time following.

Thanks...
I dont understand, what the problem?
1. Delete or remove all sound mods that you using now.
2. Delete or remove 'Files' folder from root folder of the game, if you have it.
3. Put 'Files' folder from my archive into root folder of the game.
4. Run the game
Simple, isnt it?
For uninstalling this mod just delete 'Files' folder from root folder of the game. And install your previously sound mods.
I cannot guarantee that this mod will work with other sound mods correctly.

Dudok22 Wrote:...it looks like those classes are from two years old soundmod .93
that is written in the first post :wink:

RedBatflight Wrote:I dont understand, what the problem?

the thing is, people aren't too keen on deleting their 'files' folder, especially from the root folder. i suggest you find a work-around for this to install it and make it more compatible with the modpacks that most people have. :???:

I also just read the VERY in-depth review by CirX. I guess a lot of things are included in this mod that don't need to be (hence the overwriting of the files folder) that interfere with a lot of mods people use.

I really hope you continue with this and get it all sorted because I like this better than Tiger's mod...as the flyby effects aren't pre-recorded and faked (no offence towards tiger, not at all meant in a derogatory way).

tater718 Wrote:
saunders1953 Wrote:I'm just curious, but why wouldn't this be in the beta-mods section? There is an in-depth review of this mod by CirX...er, elsewhere, and while there are certainly some good things about this mod, there are some hinky things as well. I always understood that this section was for mods completely tested out by the admins here, with basically no caveats--unlike the beta section--but I don't get the feeling they did on this one yet.

Just wondering. Thanks.

I have no idea if this mod will work in my UI game or not and I'm not going to find out.
If you are using UI 1.1(.1) or 1.2 I can tell you that it works.

And follow Aviatorsneah's advice on installing it, that way you won't ever touch your Files folder.

Aviatorsneah Wrote:to install...this is what i did:

3) thats it!

tater718 Wrote:Gentleman,I believe I have said enough about this mod and my problems with it.
Tater
Dear Tater, what problems did you find specifically? Please, more detail, its really important for me.
Or the only problem with the installation and uninstalling? Sad

I like it - But it's not worth getting rid of all stuff in my "files" folder.