[Mod] DSM - Distant Sounds Mod

That sounds good. As I said, I really like Tiger's engine sounds (startup etc) but the weapon sounds and environment sounds of this mod are perfect. If someone can tell me how to merge the mods in this way, then I'll be a happy man! (for me, fly-by's don't really matter as I'm normally in the cockpit! Big Grin )

philip.ed Wrote:If someone can tell me how to merge the mods in this way, then I'll be a happy man! (for me, fly-by's don't really matter as I'm normally in the cockpit! Big Grin )
If you are able to edit prs-files you will make it easily, but it is necessary to edit each file and to adjust loudness. I wish to use some sounds of engines from Tiger and Jafa.
Also I have corrected some small bugs, still I will increase loudness of the weapon and it will be updating DSM.

Sadly I'm not able to edit them...

Redbat, for someone like me who has already installed Tiger's full mod, will you be able to guide me in order to patch Tiger's mod up to yours? (so that I can have your weapon sounds, and fly-by's) .... Wink

Many thanks Big Grin

I've been testing the DSM mod and found the following:
- Hawker Hurricane & Spitfire (Merlin powered) external sounds have alot of "flapping" in them - they sound kinda weird, like a helicopter?
- Me 262 jet (and probably other jets? - I don't fly jets often) have a high pitch whistle inside, outside is almost silent.
- G4M Betty bombers are producing a heavy humming drone sound but it lacks the real close up engine sound a bit.
- A20 internal cockpit & bomberposition sounds are like the Me262 jets and very soft external engine sound close up. On a distance there is the standard "drone sound".

Has anyone else noticed this? Smile

Still, I think this is one awesome soundmod and I will keep using it!

First of all - Thanks for the nice mod Wink

Now, I have a question about PRS files. I want to change some things in the mod to my liking and have successfully managed to replace some gun sounds. Now I'm on to explosions. Flak, bombs and the like. I find that they are surprisingly quiet, even if they are literally right outside the cockpit. I tried Battle Sounds v2 and found those were... too loud and sometimes played explosion sounds when there actually were no explosions happening.

Ok, on to the PRS files.

For example:

[sample.exp3_01.wav.dist]
minlo 10
minhi 1000
maxlo 1200
maxhi 2000
value 5
pmin 1.0
pmax 1.0

What do all these values mean/affect? I can guess and try some things out for a while, but I figured just asking is easier Smile

Thanks in advance.

RavenHawk1988 Wrote:First of all - Thanks for the nice mod Wink

RavenHawk1988 Wrote:Now, I have a question about PRS files...

[sample.exp3_01.wav.dist] - In this case playing of it sample depends on a distance (dist)
minlo 10 - the sound appears on distance of 10 metres
minhi 1000 - the sound reaches the maximum loudness on 1000 metres
maxlo 1200 - the maximum loudness saved to 1200 metres then it starts to calm down smoothly
maxhi 2000 - on 2000 metres a sound is not audible absolutely
value 5 - the sound priority over other sounds, for example a sound with an indicator in 10 will block a sound with an indicator 5. If they are equal - sounds will mix up proportionally primary loudness
pmin 1.0 - speed of playing sample at minhi = 1000
pmax 1.0 - speed of playing sample at maxlo = 1200 (in this case speed of playing will not change, since parametres are equal to 1.0. For example if pmin=0.4 and pmax=1.2 speed will smoothly increase with 0.4 to 1.2 in comparison with a speed of original sample)

I collected the information on-particles too, any things reached itself a trial and error method. I did this mod for myself to tell the truth, but it has turned out unusually, therefore and have decided to lay out.
Good luck with experiments!

Thanks for the quick reply, I will definately be trying some stuff out.

Now, all bomb explosions aside, I did notice a problem with F4F planes, or Pratt&Whitney engine sounds. They seem to come and go. Maybe some priority issue? But I compared some other engine PRS files and couldn't find anything that would explain why Pratt&Whitney engines would behave otherwise.

To describe the problem, the mission starts, engine is there, and for no reason at all, you'll only hear the faint whistle of the wind, and no engine sound. Sometimes it comes back, and I found that ONE trigger of this was to fire my weapons. Dunno, maybe it's just my game, but I thought I'd bring it up.

RavenHawk1988 Wrote:To describe the problem, the mission starts, engine is there, and for no reason at all, you'll only hear the faint whistle of the wind, and no engine sound. Sometimes it comes back, and I found that ONE trigger of this was to fire my weapons. Dunno, maybe it's just my game, but I thought I'd bring it up.
I dont have this problem
Convince that you use buttons and class files from my archive. With others class files weapon sounds behave is unpredictable even if to use the latest from SAS.
Try to put mod on the fresh version, it is simple for check

Nvm. I just deleted my files folder and replaced them with your 'modified mod' (that is to say your sounds, cept with some other gun sounds) and WOW.

Just wow.

Awesome job Wink

rbf i have to say i didnt like your mod at first but after playing with differnt sound mods i keep coming back to yours as the most emmersive so iam staying with this one just like to say thanks for all your work ! Big Grin

barnesy12 Wrote:rbf i have to say i didnt like your mod at first but after playing with differnt sound mods i keep coming back to yours as the most emmersive so iam staying with this one just like to say thanks for all your work ! Big Grin
Im glad, that you appreciate :wink:

I have a little updated my mod. Details at topic.

GeneralPsycho Wrote:Wonderful mod! I do like the Tiger33 sounds much much more, but is there a way where we combine the Tiger33's sounds with having the athmosphere where this sound mod? I am been trying to swap sound samples, sound presets, and bunch of other files, but to no avail. Sad

Yes that is my take as well.. I really like this mod.. but I dont know if it will change the Tiger sounds on the American planes.. and I really really like the Mustang sounds from Tiger.. but the effects on this one are just stunning.. the wind mod is great.. the long distance explosions.. even the guns at a distance sound great..

GeneralPsycho Wrote:
philip.ed Wrote:
Gumpy Wrote:
GeneralPsycho Wrote:Wonderful mod! I do like the Tiger33 sounds much much more, but is there a way where we combine the Tiger33's sounds with having the athmosphere where this sound mod? I am been trying to swap sound samples, sound presets, and bunch of other files, but to no avail. Sad
I did it and OH MY GOD!I''m still testing it but I can tell you honestly the results so far are awe inspiring.

Spill please! Big Grin

Please! +1

+2

+3 ! LOL. My problem is that I have installed Tiger's one, but I would prefer to have the fly-by's and all the other sounds (except engine sounds) from this one....

....anyone have any idea? Big Grin

I got it working and i like the sound of the guns. However, some parts of my key controls changed to Polish language? :???:

Anybody with the same issue?