Thread Closed

Spitfire F. Mk. IX...

I take it this is based on the MkVIII model then?

I did a mod with a similar concept a couple of months ago, basically just the MkVIII model with the tailwheel from the MkVc, and Zorin mentioned that the MkVIII has a too long rear fusalage. Anyway, to cut short a long story, I used the corrected Tail and CF sections from Zorin's MkXII to produce this model, and I've put the original version below so you can see the difference.
[Image: spitixfinished.jpg]

[Image: spitixc.jpg]
There were a couple of problems with this mod, because the mapping of the MkXII's Centre Fusalage does not quite match the MkVIII's engine, and there is also a small difference in cross section between the two parts that caused a small but very visible gap from the cockpit, and because I was starting the spring term at Uni I didn't have time to fix these, and the mod never got completed.

Anyway, now that you are doing a mod like this properly, you might want to have a look at the rear fusalage shape before you release it.

Regards

Hi,

Yes, I've had my suspicions about the fuselage though I've not properly compared it with drawings as of yet. I may have a look at it when I've finished working on other parts. I've also thought that the 'kink' along the spine of the fuselage is maybe a little too pronounced but we can get carried away with these details. To be honest, I've become somewhat preoccupied with researching areas like the cannon blisters and short carburettor. There are precious few good visual references for the early Mk. IX and the shape of the cannon blisters is much debated. I've made two sets infact, a better tear-drop shape than my previous effort and the semi-mythical square type blisters often associated with the Mk .Vc. There are some photos of Canadian Mk. IXs which look like they are fitted with the latter type which I'll post later. Anyway, sometimes it's easy to get lost concentrating on these smaller details.

I like your mod. If you added a slight hump to the cowling it would make a rather nice razor-backed Mk. XVI.

Well, its good to see someone who like to get the details just right.

Anyway the idea about making my mod into an early MkXVI is a great one, it would let this be a new slot aircraft instead of just a confusing duplicate of one of the existing MkIXs, so when I get round to it I will fix the 3d problems and complete it as you suggested.

I pretty sure Zorin made the MkXII CF and Tail sections (and indeed the whole MkXII fusalage) from line drawings, so the shape should be correct, and I intend to modify the engine section to fit the CF rather than the other way round, so giving it a MkXVI cowling should be easy enough.

Regards

You can be sure Zorin worked from line drawings, he's a very meticulous guy by all accounts. Smile

You mean you don't know there are already some Mk XVI?

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2772.0.html

GBrutus Wrote:...it would make a rather nice razor-backed Mk. XVI.
:wink:

Yeah, when the Aviator Mod Team where working on the MkXVI they said they where going to do both the bubble-top and razor-backed versions, but they cut that to just the bubble-top, so we still don't have a good looking MkIX or MkIX-lookalike.

I like where this is going guys Big Grin

I wasn't happy with the tear-drop cannon blisters and made some new ones. I think I've got the shape as close as possible considering the lack of decent photos to work from. Also replaced the ailerons with the correct type.

[Image: cb3.jpg]

[Image: cb2.jpg]

[Image: cb1.jpg]

:orgasm: Tongue

Hi there GB Brutus.

I have just been looking at some photo's of a Mk IX and the Blisters for the cannons looks slightly narrower than your ones.
Check this shot out out at this link http://www.spitfirepv270.co.nz/DSC_4644.jpg
and the main page here http://www.spitfirepv270.co.nz/
also a good close up at Gavin Conroys Site http://capphotography.ifp3.com/#/galler ... air-2-air/

Dinga

Hi Dinga,

I'm actually working on an early Mk. IX which didn't have all the refinements of the later Mk. IX variants. The narrow cigar shaped blisters in your photos did not become standard until mid 1944. The C wing was designed to house 2 cannons per wing, hence the wide blisters seen on early Mk. IXs and Mk. Vcs. Have a look at these photos:

Mk. IX
[Image: 611.jpg]

[Image: DN-B.jpg]

Mk. Vc
[Image: vcblisters.jpg]

Okay I have learned something about MkIX today.Thanks GBrutus for taking the time to show the difference.

Looking great, GBrutus- keep up the good work. Big Grin

Just a small update. Carburettor intake reworked again using actual factory drawing. New spinner and nose section detailed up slightly. Sorry for the recent lack of updates but I've been busy with real work.

[Image: newspinner.jpg]
Thread Closed