Horrible contrail bug....can anyone fix this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2wc1f68CaQ

I think it has to be the most off-putting bug I've ever seen Sad

Is it possible to fix this (I understand) very long-standing bug?

Cheers, MP

knowing what mods you're running would help.

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

This must be a P-51B. (Hard to tell, I can only see the bottom of the aircraft in the vid.)

If so, I asked about it a while back and was told that it's a known bug on the stock P-51B and no one has ever fixed it. So it supposedly has nothing to do with mods.

I hate it too, the -51B is my favorite aircraft. It's also there on the Mustang III. If some genius could fix it, that would be great.

That ought to be quite fixable - looks to me like a problem with a hook on the P51 model. If so, then any of our mod gurus proficient at working with exported meshes should be able to fix it fairly easily.

Hawkers Big Grin

In my P-38l the contrails are 20 meters higher than the engines. Clean UP here.

Yes it is a P-51B and also this issue is known with the P-38's. All have been long standing bugs from the original game (so-un-modded, I used Holy Grail's Uranium pack to show the effect to it's fullest!). This occurs with the original 2D contrail too! All have remained unfixed since they arrived in IL2, so if it is a 'Mesh hook' problem, any help/fix or tweak for any aircraft that have would be so, so greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having a look, cheers, MP.

Hi Rock, no problem and thanks for working on this. Looking at the current contrail 'hook' for the P51 models as-well as the 47's, 38's and I presume some others, it seems the contrail start point is approx. 20 feet behind the aircraft.

Holy Grail created a fantastic mod, the Uranium effects pack and this creates a great contrail effect, sadly as the hook starts as I said too far behind the aircraft to look authentic. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYzHfjTGtk

So is it possible to move the contrail hook forward at the same time so that the effect starts at the cowling rather than behind the aircraft?

I am looking to make the footage for Checkertails as authentic as possible and the correct contrail placement would make a great difference. Thanks for all and any help, cheers, MP

Updated post above with link to P-51 video.

Cheers, MP.

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:In my P-38l the contrails are 20 meters higher than the engines. Clean UP here.

They're supposed to be. The exhaust on the 38 is vented upward from the turbos in the booms.

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:
KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:In my P-38l the contrails are 20 meters higher than the engines. Clean UP here.

They're supposed to be. The exhaust on the 38 is vented upward from the turbos in the booms.
Ok, thanks!

{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:

But when you see the effect.....it's not pretty! It need to be tidied up a lot, it looks really odd. I'll add a video clip later and explain it better.

Cheers, MP.

Mysticpuma
Hello, I put your question about contrails to the SAS forums I hope you don't mine. SAS`CirX reply quote 'I can fix this easy. Give me complete list of which planes have contrail bugs' Perhaps you can let him know. At SAS site go to Tech Help then to question about Contrails. Hope this is helpful. Cheers Baronbutcher. Smile

Thanks for the input.

Currently I have found five aircraft that are affected by the contrail bug (probably more but I'm only into US AC).

The video below shows those aircraft, but also finishes with video showing the current position of the mesh hook for most aircraft.

Followed by a clip showing the authentic position of contrails.

Basically this would be a long winded piece of work (I would think without having any knowledge of what's involved), but to have the contrail start at the aircraft rather than 20-feet behind would be fantastic!

So, the video below shows the positions of misplaced contrails, followed by a P-51D with the current contrail mesh-hook position. Then I used a Blue Screen technique to create a video that shows how the contrail really should look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9iqLLvJnI8

Hopefully someone will be able to to a contrails mod and fix the position of the contrails. Can I have first dibs on all P-47, 51 varianys though?

Cheers, MP.

How do real contrails form? Don't they usually appear behind the aircraft with a small space between aircraft and contrail? I think they are caused by water vapor condensing in the air behind the engines because of the temperature difference. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Nope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYzHfjTGtk

Cheers, MP