[WIP] Map Formosa v1

Here is a link to a new map in progress, a map of the island of Formosa. It also includes most of the Ryukyu Islands.

This one is a fairly simple version in that it has not been extensively populated with urban objects. Instead use has been made of photographic urban textures. This is to try out something different and to lighten the populating time. There is otherwise about 1mb of objects placed all over the low land area, not that you will notice much though because of the size of the land area.

Textures are virtually all by Redko, for which I give profuse thanks. I tried a number of other textures and none really seemed right for the location. Redko's textures however fit the bill perfectly. And they will also fit in with his own retextures of Okinawa and Kyushu

Airfields are in fictitious locations, placed more to have an even placement over the island.

Perhaps the map will be further populated in the future.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m2ze2vicxmj

and some screenshots, mainly at dawn and dusk, the most colorful time for flying

[img][Image: FormosaFMB.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-33-26.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-32-00.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-31-40.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-29-14.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-21-08.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-24-48.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-19-01.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-21-08.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-14-03.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2003201021-07-44.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2103201014-12-16.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2003201020-57-02.jpg]

[/img][Image: Formosa-2003201020-46-12.jpg]

[img][Image: Formosa-2003201021-06-58.jpg][/img]

Looking good. As usual.
Man! You really love the Early morning flights.
Kap

Looking damn good mate!!

Really useful map for late war carrier raid!

Some pilot 'll find the glory over those skyes!!!

Thanks!

walter

SEMPER INCOMMODUS

I had to alter the load.ini in order to get it to work with HSFX 4.11. Specifically, the [WOOD] section has to read:

[WOOD]
Wood0 = NTL_/forest/summer/NTL_Darwin_Small/NTL_Darwin_Small_Wood0.tga
Wood1 = NTL_/forest/summer/NTL_Darwin_Small/NTL_Darwin_Small_Wood1.tga
Wood2 = NTL_/forest/summer/NTL_Darwin_Small/NTL_Darwin_Small_Wood2.tga
Wood3 = NTL_/forest/summer/NTL_Darwin_Small/NTL_Darwin_Small_Wood3.tga
Wood4 = NTL_/forest/summer/NTL_Darwin_Small/NTL_Darwin_Small_Wood4.tga

Very longwinded!

I've had a quick look around, not a bad start and will make a useful addition to the Pacific maps. :thumbsup:
There is quite a bit of work to be done on the coasts (though I'm sure you knew that!). Almost all of the east coast shoreline, and a lot of the rest of it, doesn't meet the sea but is at altitude above it. A lot of work by hand if you've already used CoastAlign. I think I'd add another white pixel on map_c all along the affected areas - much easier.

:cheers:

Stuning as ussual mate!

Could I Ask you when posible, and if it fancies you, to make another map with formosa more to the East and have a little pice of continental China?

You know the formosa Strait has been quite a hot spot since the 50

dunkelgrun Wrote:I had to alter the load.ini in order to get it to work with HSFX 4.11. Specifically, the [WOOD] section has to read:

[WOOD]

I've had a quick look around, not a bad start and will make a useful addition to the Pacific maps. :thumbsup:
There is quite a bit of work to be done on the coasts (though I'm sure you knew that!). Almost all of the east coast shoreline, and a lot of the rest of it, doesn't meet the sea but is at altitude above it. A lot of work by hand if you've already used CoastAlign. I think I'd add another white pixel on map_c all along the affected areas - much easier.

The HSFX version is something I didn't know about. On UP2.0 it works fine as is, though I think that all in all it's better to put Wood textures into the normal textures folder from now on. Will prove to be less of a hassle for all users.

On the coastlines though, I just took a (long but speeded up) flight along the east coast and didn't see any problems with the coastline, no water running over land surface or anything like that.

Maybe you could give a screenshot or 2? Or give a location where you see this? I usually have a few places where water and land aren't meshed up as it should be, but I just flew around 25% of the island coastline and for once didn't see anything wrong - which is, I admit, suspicious in a way ... ha ha

Do other members have this too?

Baco1170 Wrote:Could I Ask you when posible, and if it fancies you, to make another map with formosa more to the East and have a little pice of continental China?

I made this map when working on a non-optimum performance laptop and I must have tried doing it the simplest way. I think the satellite dems didn't include China or something ... anyway, at the time it was done as a request for a map for carrier operations and China never came up. I later tried to stitch part of the China coast onto this map, but it was a bit of a mess and too large as well ...

It is an idea though that I will certainly keep in mind. Maybe I'll have another go at the China stitching ...

Agracier!

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: when it comes to mapmaking you are the MAN!

Looking beautiful! Big Grin

agracier Wrote:
dunkelgrun Wrote:I had to alter the load.ini in order to get it to work with HSFX 4.11. Specifically, the [WOOD] section has to read:

[WOOD]

The HSFX version is something I didn't know about. On UP2.0 it works fine as is, though I think that all in all it's better to put Wood textures into the normal textures folder from now on. Will prove to be less of a hassle for all users.

On the coastlines though, I just took a (long but speeded up) flight along the east coast and didn't see any problems with the coastline, no water running over land surface or anything like that.

Maybe you could give a screenshot or 2? Or give a location where you see this? I usually have a few places where water and land aren't meshed up as it should be, but I just flew around 25% of the island coastline and for once didn't see anything wrong - which is, I admit, suspicious in a way ... ha ha

Do other members have this too?

That's a bit odd with the woods in UP, as UP is the whole of HSFX with bits added on. I can only think that UP has the wood textures added in again, under the names you used.
Here's some screenies of the coast problems. Agreed, there's always going to be one or two bits that we miss, but it's pretty much all the way around; less on the flat lands but visible even there.

[Image: formosa04.jpg]

[Image: formosa03.jpg]

[Image: formosa02.jpg]

[Image: formosa01.jpg]

As you can see, the hieght is well out in places. If it was just one side of the island I'd think that the registration between map_c and map_h was out, but it's all round. Weird that you don't get it.

This map looks good. What do I have to do to see it? I can't get it to show up in the Quick Mission builder. No missions, obviously. Are you guys creating your own missions for it?

Pooch Wrote:This map looks good. What do I have to do to see it? I can't get it to show up in the Quick Mission builder. No missions, obviously. Are you guys creating your own missions for it?

It will only work in the FMB, unless that is, you know how to add it to the listing of Quick Mission maps ...

I've never been able to figure out how to do it. Or rather, I've followed instructions for the Quick Mission thing several times, but it never works for me. Maybe it's my setup or the version of Quick Mission editor I use or whatever.

I guess you're going to have to wait/hope someone more knowledgeable in the Quick Mission field gives instructions, and especially makes some Quick Missions for the map ... it's not supposed to be complicated, but somehow I've never managed to make any of those either ...

agracier,

I love this map! You are a master of map making. The photo-textured cities are great. However, even when photo-textures are used, I still like to add objects. The photo-textures provide a great guide for selecting and placing objects.

I've got an object missing:

"building.Plate$bitumenearthGroundParking"

Do you know where I can find this one?

Cheers,

Riptide

Riptide_One Wrote:I've got an object missing:
"building.Plate$bitumenearthGroundParking"
Do you know where I can find this one?

It comes with Cannon's Channel Objects. Here's a link to a downsized install of his objects.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dyyjnkg1hoy

agracier Wrote:
Baco1170 Wrote:Could I Ask you when posible, and if it fancies you, to make another map with formosa more to the East and have a little pice of continental China?

I made this map when working on a non-optimum performance laptop and I must have tried doing it the simplest way. I think the satellite dems didn't include China or something ... anyway, at the time it was done as a request for a map for carrier operations and China never came up. I later tried to stitch part of the China coast onto this map, but it was a bit of a mess and too large as well ...

It is an idea though that I will certainly keep in mind. Maybe I'll have another go at the China stitching ...

No porblem mate, thanks for trying anyway!