Can you make a plastic model airplane into RC?

Hi all, this might be a dumb question but,

Can you make a plastic scale model airplane in to an RC one? I have an old 1:48 scale F-111A Swing-Wing fighter-bomber that I wanted to make into RC. I've seen fiberglass RC planes that fly great; so why couldn't you do it with plastic?

Thanks,
liamp51

The problem that you may face is strength. If the plane crashes, then you are screwed. Also, 1/48th scale is pretty damn small for a plane. You are going to need those very small servos which are very expensive. Since the plane is small, it would be very difficult to see it fly in the air. Any bump on the road or concrete is going to flip that plane upside down. Also, those plastic models are aesthetics, their aerodynamics are terribad.

Your force, you must use your force, young liamp51 :evil: :evil: :evil:

i wouldnt do it, i would start off with a mid sized foamie if you aea starting RCer

I have some experience with RC stuff so I think I might try it. Just for the learning process.

I did try it once. The main problem you're going to face is thrust to weight and poor aerodynamics.

1. The model is already fairly heavy due to all the plastic. (aerodynamics)
2. There isn't much room in a plastic model for servos, batteries and radio gear. (weight again).
3. You'll need engines strong enough to get it into the air (weight again).

I was able to get an old Revel B17 into the air as a flying model, but not as an RC (I used this particular model due to its size and wing area). I used 4 brush-less electric motors powered by 3 watch batteries each. I used an exact-o knife to cut away the rudder and elevators and replaced them with ones I made from balsa and a small hinge. I used electrical wire soldered to the hinge so as to set them.

The whole thing worked o.k. The plane made it into the air about 3-5 ft before keeling over and careening into the ground. My inexperience with flying models at the time was revealed in a brutal fashion as my model was obliterated on the pavement. I learned that I had failed to take into account the different rotational speeds of the engines causing too much yaw. That coupled with the poor flight characteristics of a plastic box model, made it's flying debut rather short.

If I had added the extra equipment to make it R/C, it would have been completely non-flyable all together.

Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it works out.

S!

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

A friend of mine has a wing lift tester. I will put the wing form the F-111A on it and see how it goes.

Thanks!
liamp51

Ok Airfix do a electric spinning motor for 1/24 scale plane Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: af1004.jpg]

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/cl...motor-124/

Have fun Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Planemad

Once I started building a 1/72 F-104 with the only purpose to put a fireworks rocket up its, ehm, exhaust and make it fly with it! :lol: But I never actually did it.

This technique should definitely make your plane fly, but I disclaim any responsibility about the outcome of the flight... :OO !

My model is still there, in the death row, waiting for its rocket... :twisted:

Planemad Wrote:Ok Airfix do a electric spinning motor for 1/24 scale plane Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: af1004.jpg]

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/cl...motor-124/

Have fun Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Planemad

Yes, but this is only for presentation, not flight.

RGA Wrote:Your force, you must use your force, young liamp51 :evil: :evil: :evil:

+1

An Me-262 with firecrackers as engines should be realistic enough.

One Guy Fawkes night, a friend of mine turned up with his Airfix Saturn V stuffed to the gunwales with gunpowder. He had attached it to a launchrail, made form a plastic curtain rail, which we fixed to a wooden gatepost. Having lit the blue touchpaper and retired, we stood back to admire the launch - but all we saw was an enormous amount of orange flame shooting out of the underneath, and a Saturn V becoming gradually shorter as the bottom end melted and it slid back down the curtain rail. We abandoned it to its fate and went off for a pint. About an hour later we discovered that the gatepost was on fire...

:cheers:

dunkelgrun Wrote:One Guy Fawkes night, a friend of mine turned up with his Airfix Saturn V stuffed to the gunwales with gunpowder. He had attached it to a launchrail, made form a plastic curtain rail, which we fixed to a wooden gatepost. Having lit the blue touchpaper and retired, we stood back to admire the launch - but all we saw was an enormous amount of orange flame shooting out of the underneath, and a Saturn V becoming gradually shorter as the bottom end melted and it slid back down the curtain rail. We abandoned it to its fate and went off for a pint. About an hour later we discovered that the gatepost was on fire...

:cheers:
Wakawaka! :lol: Reminds me of our own trials of creating a "rocket-projectile"... luckily we could extinguish the fire before the whole field erupted in flames! :roll:

I once had a Revell 1:72 F-4B Phantom I painted to resemble a F-4C in SEA scheme. I drilled two holes into the fuselage side and attached a string to it.
Then I started to spin around, having the string with the model attached close to me. Upon "catching enough speed" I let go gradually on the string, using it as a primitive "Whip-Flyer".
You know what? That little Phucker really straightened itself out and followed my "commands" to a limited degree - climbing an diving worked pretty well, given the model's small size.

But I have to agree to the other posters, yuo'd be having a hard time turning a plastic model kit into a R/C one.

But, never give up, there's always a "world's first!" :wink: Big Grin

We could say that one has to re-enact mankind's steps in the discover of flying! Big Grin Don't forget everything started with "flying" toys, such as bird-like models, since ancient history.

Had nobody ever tried to make a toy fly, then we wouldn't fly today! So keep trying! 8)

I just had an idea: In this case, better results could be achieved by chosing the model of a plane with either high wing or a high positive dihedral (in other words, "wings have a clear upwards inclination"), which should provide better stability dewspite the small scale.
If this proves correct, it will also mean that "old" planes are better suited for the task, as they were projected to keep somewhat stable by themselves, unlike nodern jets... unless you manage to put a fly-by-wire computer in your F-22 model! :mrgreen: