Need Help finding some good Modleing paint

Hey guys, i am doing a project a power point and a product for my world studies class. First of all i chose the Berlin airlift and for my product i was thinking of doing a little modle and a loading dock of a C47 of C54 getting loaded with the tons of cargo, and first i need some paint that will give a good shine. The stuff i have doesnt really do a good job, and im almost out of it anyways.

SO any suggestions for a (shiny) Coat/paint?

Hi,

Years ago I was very much into plastic models. I love to experiment, so I talked my mother into giving me a little sample of her nail polish and clear coat polish. I found that sometimes they work if I mix them to get the color that I want. Later I discovered that they actually mix with regular model paint!

I'm sure that with a little practice, you'll get the skill very quickly. By the way, the clear coat looks awesome on the tires and the cockpit glass for extra shine. You can even add a hint of tint to the glass with a little blue and tiny bit of yellow. This is very small amount.

Be careful! The vapors are very harmful!. Also, try the tests on plastic such as the frames that were used to attach the plastic parts. Some plastic melts with certain nail polish. Do this first to ensure that you get the desired effect. You'll need the nail polish remover, too. Test this, too, to be sure that your plastic will not melt when you use it.

I rarely had a problem with melting, but I always tested the stuff on scrap plastic from the model kit.

You want shine? This will make it for you.

There are also regular model paints such as clear coat, metal finish, and tire rubber paint which all work nicely.

Fireskull Wrote:Hi,

Years ago I was very much into plastic models. I love to experiment, so I talked my mother into giving me a little sample of her nail polish and clear coat polish. I found that sometimes they work if I mix them to get the color that I want. Later I discovered that they actually mix with regular model paint!

I'm sure that with a little practice, you'll get the skill very quickly. By the way, the clear coat looks awesome on the tires and the cockpit glass for extra shine. You can even add a hint of tint to the glass with a little blue and tiny bit of yellow. This is very small amount.

Be careful! The vapors are very harmful!. Also, try the tests on plastic such as the frames that were used to attach the plastic parts. Some plastic melts with certain nail polish. Do this first to ensure that you get the desired effect. You'll need the nail polish remover, too. Test this, too, to be sure that your plastic will not melt when you use it.

I rarely had a problem with melting, but I always tested the stuff on scrap plastic from the model kit.

You want shine? This will make it for you.

There are also regular model paints such as clear coat, metal finish, and tire rubber paint which all work nicely.

Thanks! What about some good C-47 and C54 colors?

And i paint the parts first and put the nail polish coat on?

After it dries, you can put the nail polish finish over it. You must be very careful to apply only one brush stroke over each area or you risk "smudging" the paint under it.

You best test it, for example, on a scrap piece of plastic in the model kit or even use the interior of the fuselage as a test bed. Nobody will see the paint and nail polish finish if it eventually goes inside the aircraft for a test. After some tests and practice, then you are ready to do the same thing on the exterior.

hmm, what kind of nail polish coat, i cant tell what my mom has, i tried and it really didn't make a difference, and could you give me some good paints that i could look for a C47 or a C54?

Hobby shops, department stores, and automotive stores are places to get paint for models.

Bottled paint can be used but it generally is very messy, globby, and difficult to apply evenly. This should be a last resort in my opinion or for only small parts of the model. An exception would be when you want to get a specific result. This takes practice to learn.

For a fast project, then spray paint is the way to go for most of the model surfaces. I used Testors and liked it. You can go to hobby shops, department stores, and automotive stores to get spray paint. Often the toy section of a department store has plastic model paint. Spray paint in a can is the cheapest for a small amount of painting.

In automotive parts stores and automotive paint sections of department stores you can find a product called something like "Chrome Finish". This works well for the bare metal shine appearance.

As a last coat, you should consider a spray can finish of clear coat for that extra shine.