flight models

Salute,

ok...eye candy etc , but who is making the FM's ? I'd hate to see my Albatros D5 out turning a camel to the right etc, or a Spad that can't turn like they realy could do.

Led

The FMs are created by the program, each vehicle has a data that we put
In all the real world data that we can find on a vehicle then we take the
Vehicle into the program and pull up a editor that creates a data called
Elements from all the real world data we have put in and that elements
Data makes the vehicle behave the way it is suppose to in the sim.
This editor will not be in the CK game it self, its only used for the
Development team.

Deutschmark

Regarding FM's, as I see it it really is a matter of feeding in data such as weight wing area thrust, air density, ceiling, max and min (stall) speeds and using programs to calculate the graphs generated from the imput. In the case of WWI aircraft there are no superchargers to contend with until right at the end of the war......and those were'nt really superchargers. Some aircraft probably would not fit the data entierly because of the effect of the rotary engines and all the mass being at the front of the machine such as the Camel. But generally you would get a pretty accurate output. I know because I spent many years researching into bird flight and so I know it can be done. One must avoid anecdotal evidence like the plague though.
Regards,
Sentinel.

One british ace (either Ball or Mannock, I don't know which) was a keen mechanic and fitted his own supercharger to the engine of his plane, allowing him to fly higher than his adversaries who he pounced on regardless of odds. He also suffered from ill health because of this habit. At least before he died, anyway.

caldrail Wrote:One british ace (either Ball or Mannock, I don't know which) was a keen mechanic and fitted his own supercharger to the engine of his plane, allowing him to fly higher than his adversaries who he pounced on regardless of odds. He also suffered from ill health because of this habit. At least before he died, anyway.

I think Mannock is the one that did that

Planemad

Yes it was Mick...

Ball died too soon to have done anything like that...the SE 5a had only been in service with No.56 Squadron (Ball's Squadron) a month when he was killed in an collision with Lothar v. Richtofen in 1917.

Mick was a test pilot at heart....there is an account of Mannock doing loops in a DH 2 way below the safety deck for that plane...

It was McCudden, he's writes about it in his book, eventually got his SE5a upto 22,000 ft and started feeling ill (lack of oxygen and extreme cold).

So VSF uses look-up tables then? Most flight sims do anyhow apart from X-Plane.

Let me give you a example below,

Config 1 is the real world data on this wing that we put in.
You can fly the plane in the sim on this config 1 but it moves
A little arcade like and the feel on the joystick is flat.

21.10 [wing_sur]
8.25 [wing_span]
0.35 [wing_alm]
0.10 [wing_al0]
0.02 [wing_dihedral]
5.50 [wing_cla]
0.03 [wing_cd0]
0.03 [wing_cdi]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then we put this config 1 into the editor and it makes a new
Config 2 that brings in all the fine point of the parameters
In config 1 and now when you fly the plane on config 2 it moves
More real like and the feel on the joystick in much more intense.

wing [element]
0.0 [x]
-0.52 [y]
-0.37 [z]
1.5708 [gama]
21.1 [wing_sur]
8.25 [wing_span]
5.50 [wing_cla]
0.03 [wing_cd0]
0.03 [wing_cdi]
0.10 [wing_al0]
0.35 [wing_alm]
17150 [kt]
3430 [kd]
1.5 [kf]
0.01 [kw]
1715 [wkt]
343 [wkd]
0.1 [wkf]
0.1 [wkw]
wing [bottom]

Deutschmark

Ah I get it....

So you can play around with these variables for the desired affect......

Not sure about nowadays but I know in the early days of flight sims they used 'look-up tables' where all the FM data is already there, the engine just looked up these references and the plane flew accordingly, the computer didn't really calculate any physics or stuff like that. I know MS Flight Sim did it this way, while X-Plane uses it's own algorithmns and produced a better experience. They both have there pros and cons.... Lookup tables more memory intensive but less strain on the CPU while X-Plane is the other way around with all the heavy calculations it has to do in real time.....

Just wondering how VSF goes about things.

Don't worry if your not too sure. I don't want to take too much of your time and/or even bore some of you guys!!! :Smile)

Hi dogz, after config 2 is made you can not fool with them parameter values
I have tried it and it ends up in a roil mess, I asked the developer about it and
He said that when you put config 1 through the editor it calls in some fine tuning
Data from the FM library that's in the EXE of the game and there is many of these
Within the FM library and if you change just one number it throws the whole thing
Out of wack, he said if am not happy with how the plane is acting is to delete config 2
And go back to config 1 and make my changes there then run it through the editor
Again and as far as a strain on the PC none at all, I don't know what you have for a PC
But we have a few testers that have some old PCs and they run the game fine with some
Lower settings but they still play right long side of everyone else.

Deutschmark

Not sure what to make of that but it seems like a look-up table anyhow.

S

It occurs to me that there should be some scope for variety. Not just between aeroplanes, but obviously pilots skill levels which aren't really all that well modelled in sims, being limited to Rookie, Veteran, Ace, or similar categories. Reality isn't so easily categorised since personality and luck play a part. But let's look a bit further. Would a pilot in 1914 really fly the same way as one in 1918?

There ought to be some sort of grading, not just of capability, but "knowledge" too, because no-one at the start of the war knew anything about air combat. By the end, a rookies life was measured in hours and only those with talent and learning ability stood any chance of surviving (and it's never a sure thing, is it? Plenty of WW1 aces met horrible fates)

Just food for thought.

Hi caldrai, wile it is good food for thought our first aim is to get a
good base game out the door first, then we can start to look at things
like this as updates.

Deutschmark

I rarely play sims in campaign mode anyhow, AI is a bugger to work with and nothing beats playing another human being on-line, especially once there skill is highly developed....

Please CK would make my christmas if it was out by then!!!!