Suggest an LCD monitor for me.

Alright guys, I think I'm ready to make the jump from a CRT monitor to a LCD. I have a question though:Is the user of an LCD monitor "locked in" to 1 resolution setting? I have a Intel I7-940 with a Nvidia GT 220, and I'm not sure what the highest res.that I can run is. I dont want to get too much monitor for my system.Any help or suggestions are welcome.Oh and money is tight, so a good "budget" LCD in the 20-22 inch range would be nice. Thanxs for any replies.

XLO-JOKER..........OUT.................

XLO-JOKER Wrote:Alright guys, I think I'm ready to make the jump from a CRT monitor to a LCD. I have a question though:Is the user of an LCD monitor "locked in" to 1 resolution setting? I have a Intel I7-940 with a Nvidia GT 220, and I'm not sure what the highest res.that I can run is. I dont want to get too much monitor for my system.Any help or suggestions are welcome.Oh and money is tight, so a good "budget" LCD in the 20-22 inch range would be nice. Thanxs for any replies.

XLO-JOKER..........OUT.................

Hi, Joker

In my opinion, the biggest thing to get in a monitor is the ability to increase the monitor refresh rate. Where I am in America, monitors are typically 60 hz out the box and many can not be adjusted.

Adjustable monitor refresh rate will enable you to set Vertical Sync for IL-2 to match a higher refresh rate than the default USA 60 hz, for example 75 or 90.

This results in smoother frames of IL-2 when Vertical Sync ON is desired.

Vertical Sync matches the frame rates of IL-2 to the monitor refresh rate, therefore avoiding the horizontal tearing of the image which is not uncommon. Also, this causes the VGA to produce stable frame rates instead of fluctuating frame rates which is in itself a small hit against processing performance.

Guys in my Fallen Angels Squadron use a 20 inch monitor or more with no problem and a high resolution, too.

(I fly in IL-2 with my laptop computer)

Higher Resolution
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29286

Other information and help for setting resolution can likely be found with Search function.

Fireskull Smile

hi, do you guys know what refresh rates monitors come in? i saw 60hz, 75hz, and 120hz, but the 120hz monitors are roughly twice as expensive. is the higher refresh rate really worth it?

DaveOD06 Wrote:hi, do you guys know what refresh rates monitors come in? i saw 60hz, 75hz, and 120hz, but the 120hz monitors are roughly twice as expensive. is the higher refresh rate really worth it?

Dave,

Refresh rates do vary. Off the top of my head, I remember 60, 75, 90, and 120, but an adjustable one is the best to get.

Because this is important for IL-2, I think that you should wait for more responses and continue to do an information search.

This guy {HVY-E}Jinxx is fairly knowledgeable about hardware such as monitors. I suggest sending a Private Message to him with a link to this topic. Get him involved here for the sake of the readers. Almost every night he visits this website and he should be here later today.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1943

Anyone have some ideas on this?

Fireskull Smile

Hi there,

LCD monitors are a bit different to CTR ... Just forget for a moment the Hz.
(60Hz is fine!)

What do you want to know is what kind of LCD do I buy!

There are mainly two kinds of systems:
1.) PVA-(Patterned Vertical Alignment) and
2.) IPS-(In-Plane-Switching-)

To shorten things - you have to ask yourself, what do I want to do?
For graphical works - take Nr. 1 - better Quality in Color and slower response time, more than 5ms
For gaming things - take Nr. 2 - quick response time - 2ms meaning no lagging / blur (please help me to find the right word?) - but not a very good quality in color etc..

Nowadays you get all these 16:9 and 16:10 and so on. Before that you had 4:3
Example:
1920 x 1440 pixel = 4:3
1920 x 1080 pixel = 16:9
1680 x 1050 pixel = 16:10
(As you can see, comparing 4:3 to 16:9 - they took (stole) you a lot of pixels and selling that as a feature!) - because you have a cinema view.
Jes, what a .... . Sorry, I just hate it...

So, today every LCD should have a DVI connection as well.
Ah, as well - they do have brilliant/glossy/shiny/bright screens - and that might be a good thing to watch movies - in a dark room!
A Light from behind and you may be unable to see enough....

A monitor is a very - if not the most important hardware of your computer - it's about your eyes and your health! You're looking / starring at it for hours!!

So, my advise - go in a big shop where they have a lot of monitors.
Stay in front of every monitor and look straight in to it, from an left and right angle until you can't see anymore, have a look with a torch / flashlight (small one is enough) - ask them to show you a video or even a game - and watch their reaction!
Make notice - do not buy right away! Compare your favorite than in the Internet.....

Lot of work - but you won't regret it later!!! That's just the very, very short version.

Jambo :wink:

Jambo !
Just exchanged my 17' Eizo CRT for a nice new Samsung 23' LCD.
Very nice for "flying sensation" Big Grin
ColaBen

This is a Sticky Topic now - at least for a little while.

Fireskull Smile

I have the Asus VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p Support with HDMI 2ms Response Time as main screen .
No regrets on a monitor under the £200 bracket (around £160 most sources). Clod.RoF,HSFX all look fine. 1600x1200(32bit) is the highest res I can get on Il2 or RoF(any Higher in RoF bleeds into other screen!). Cliffs however goes the full monty -1920x1080
2nd screen is iiyama 22" LCD (£20.00 from charity shop) . View angle is limited to around 20 deg in vertical plane ,40 horizontal. This along with lower energy consumption puts LED way ahead of LCD. Look for the 2ms response time - IMO more important than hz for gaming

Well, i suggest you: BenQ 24" LED XL2420T (2ms / DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort) (3D-redo) 120 HZ gaming monitor! it is not a budget one!

Unboxing & Overview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEn8GAgvLE
Review by pcmag.com: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402352,00.asp