1/72 A6M5c type 52c Academy

This model is intended to replicate the fighter flown by Naval Air Pilot 1/C Takeo Tanimizu of 203rd Fighter Group, at the time he was stationed in Kagoshima in June 1945.

Tanimizu, who survived the war, was eventually credited with 32 air kills. He is said to have been a man of great humanity, who fought bravely for his country despite feeling regret for the men he killed.
In one occasion, he is even said to have dropped his life jacket, in a low pass, to help an american pilot who had bailed out and fallen into the ocean, thus saving his life.

This kit has an overall high quality, the only real flaws being an incorrect fitting between lower wing and rear fuselage pieces, and (oddly) and a tail detail: The rudder comes in one single piece with the stabilizer, but the engraved junction line is partially missing! :oops: Anyway, you're not going to notice it that much once the work is finished.
Also, the kit is intended to be built with extended gear. Main gear legs can be mounted either in open or closed position, but the tail wheel is molded as lowered, so i had to practice a little surgery to make it look like raised.

Here's the final result:

[Image: ac73dd11435f6f0eb401b93848ebbcb105cb495a...a56d6g.jpg]
[Image: f1ea8c47db31b88d6ecba214fd9e573a596acf32...10696g.jpg]
[Image: 51661e77a3115d97df4e4a443dd4613dc420bb72...c04b6g.jpg]
[Image: 41edfd9ff966e3f88c2d5e117608fd4db8e7b637...12306g.jpg]

If you can see it, a reflex gunsight is provided as a cockpit detail!

This time I tried to boost panel lines with a darker shade. I attempted a "dry" technique: an eyeliner pencil, kindly offered by my wife! :mrgreen: This way, cleaning out the excess of color also created a light weathering effect.

In the end, I recommend this kit, but don't choose it as your very first model, because the engine cowling - exhausts area is not the easiest in the world to realize.

Work goes on! Big Grin

Nice model!

The weathering on the bottom is very well done Big Grin

Cool! My lovely scale. I like your work! Thank you for sharing!

Awesome, very nice, I like your work ;o)

Ted

Looks great Big Grin