Helpful hints for "flattening" terrain for airfields?

I need to finish off my airfields in my Belarus map. Although I am using airstrip objects, the underlying map-H terrain is often quite bumpy and the strip is often on the side of a slope or goes over or down a bumpy hill. A little too adventurous for pilots!

Is there a good way of flattening out the terrain on the map-H or FMB to quickly and efficiently deal with this type of problem??

There is an easy way and I think I learned the method from one of KevinP's tutorials.

In 3D mode, use the "height" tool to make deep holes around your airport. I usually make one hole at every corner of the airfield. This is done only to be able to find the exact location of the airfield in map_H.
SAVE and then open the MAP_H.

Look for the "holes" on map_H in the area you know where the airfield is. They will be BLACK pixels. Sometimes it's difficult to find - especially if the surrounding colors are black.

After locating the airfield area, choose a color from the area that will be the height that you want the airfield to be.
I take samples along the runway area and pick the best one. The goal is to use this color to paint the whole airfield with this same color...making the whole airfield the same height.

Just paint the airfield with this one color, save, and your done. Be sure to replace the old map_H with the new one.

Thanks. Will try it out.

This tip has proven to be invaluable. :Smile)