anyone tried this: forest+random trees?

I don't have time to test but maybe someone else...
Suppose you have forest on a map and you place treeline objects in the forest. Then play with forest=3. With a certain density maybe the forest will look better? If it is so, clearly it can be applied on small maps or on selected regions on larger maps (you don't want to have 1 million treeline objects in your actors.static.
What do you think?
Any one to test?
I have no idea, maybe it's useless but I think it's worth testing...

I run my forest setting at 5 on all maps.What exactly do you want to know?

Is there a forest=5?!
I thought the maximum was forest=3...
How does this forest=5 look like. Screenshots?
The idea was to place on a map the treeline object IN the forest and see how it looks...

[Image: fjfh.jpg] My forests look fantastic on all maps set at 5 but,I'm not sure that's what your talking about.

Same here:

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=2
MeshDetail=5
VisibilityDistance=5

Sky=2
Forest=5
LandShading=3
LandDetails=5

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=4
Effects=3
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

I tried setting my forest to =5, then checked my conf after I was done flying and it was set automatically back to =3.???

Thanks for the Forest=5 tip. It's different. And I will probably keep it there.

I tried setting land details to "5", but it was too sharp and my set up looked better at a lower setting.

What happens when you set effects to "3"? Mine is at "1"?

*Steppenwolf* Wrote:I tried setting my forest to =5, then checked my conf after I was done flying and it was set automatically back to =3.???
You don't have your config ini set as a Read only file you must set that in properties.

Hm, what i see in the pic doesn't look at all different from forest=3. Maybe the difference is in the random trees appearance (those on crop fields or in villages)?
Anyway if I find some time I'll test the forest+random trees thing :mrgreen:

PS: maybe the forest=5 option came with the last patch or so? I actually don't have 4.10 installed yet.
But it doesn't look different, maybe in game yes but not in pic.

Gumpy Wrote:[Image: fjfh.jpg] My forests look fantastic on all maps set at 5 but,I'm not sure that's what your talking about.

Yep, that did it. Thanks Gumpy. I didn't notice any difference between Forest=3 and Forest=5 though.

Just a quick one. I tested and I think it looks nice! I think if you have time just try it on some small map lile the onlines or on limited areas on the big ones. Screenshots are not really showing it or show only the nice thing of it :lol: so I don't post such. Of course the forest+random tree effect is visible only from small distance due to the small (1.5 km) draw distance of the random trees (the eternal problem of popping up at too small distance). Just try it! Fiddle with treeline density. Fiddle (later)with the relative color of the forest/random tree. It's 5 minutes to set it. Say open in map mode some online map which has forest. Before starting game ensure forest=2. Then after you opened the map create a small treeline pattern somewhere on the map say within 200 meter circle place randomly the treeline. Select the pattern and copy it. Go to a forest and paste repeatedly the pattern over the forest till you covered a sufficiently large area. Save map exit. Go to normal game configuration (buildconfig.ini) go to conf.ini and set forest=3. Start the game and see how the "treeline painted region looks like. This for testing. You can also just create a template for autopop and use it. Provided the total forest area is not too large.