My feelings on CK.

Hey all,
Like most of you I've tracked CK since it was 'Over Oleg's Fields' and, to be honest, I'm a little disappointed with where the developers have taken the mod.
Firstly, before I make my point, I want to make it clear that I appreciate all the good work the developers have done so far. However, I just wanted to voice my concerns. CK started as a free mod for IL2-1946. In my opinion, that was an awesome way to go, because the IL2 engine is still beautiful and WW1 aircraft in that game would be amazing. However, now CK is no longer free and uses a completely new system; a system which, in my opinion, looks a little rough and not nearly as pretty as regular IL2. Not only this, but the developers thought it best to break away from the traditional 'Flight sim' and go for an all-out WW1 ground-war. A neat concept, but one which, in my opinion at least, certainly does not translate well to the system chosen. For example, the screen below depicts the interior of a German U-Boat developed for CK. I understand that the mod is in Beta form and Im not sure if this is the final version, but here it is anyway:
[Image: 3SUBCK.jpg]
The consumer is required to buy this game, yet some of the 3D modelling and interiors such as this one here are quite rough (In my opinion) and look almost cartoon-ish. I would be fine with rough-looking textures and models on free mods... but not in a game which I am expected to pay money for.
I do appreciate all the hard work these guys have done, but I feel a little disappointed 1) At the fact that this is no longer anything to do with IL2, 2) That it is not free (Call me mean) and 3) That we are asked to pay for a game that was designed to be a mod and is attempting to be a stand-alone game, and so ends up looking rather.... below standard.
Anyway, let me know what you think. Flame me if you like, I think I've tried to be quite polite.
Regards,
Mike.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as for this CK it has nothing to do with IL2
That is over and done with, as for the models in this CK they are kept to a 40,000 ploy
Limit and the reason for that is to get good frame rate for a wide range of PCs and graphic
Cards, sure we could make the models with much more detail and bring quad cores and
Big graphic cards down to 12 FPS, but that is not what we want to do with CK, so if it means
That our models are a little less detailed to keep frame rate on the high end for the end user then
So be it, and we are not forcing anyone to buy the game that choice is up to the individual
As all will be able to download the full game and it will run as a demo for as long as you like
Till you decide to buy it or not.

And as a warning, if this thread starts getting out of control it will be removed.

Deutschmark

I was wondering DM, could you please post a full-screen shot of CK at full graphic setting? I think maybe this 'roughness' is coming from the fact that a lot of the screens you've posted are in small-screen and thus appear pixelated.
P.S Awesome work on the game so far!

The photos I been posting so far have been on a lower end PC
With game settings at less then full.
Screen size 1024 X 786
AMD 1 core 3.5
2 Gig RAM
GeForce 6500 card
XP at 32 bit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These new photos here are on a better PC but still not top of the line
Game settings are at best quality for these photos.
Screen size 1920 X 1080
AMD duel core 2.41 Gig Hz each
4 Gig RAM
Win 7 64 bit
ATI 4870 HD card

Click on the photos to enlarge.

[Image: HR1.jpg]
[Image: HR2.jpg]
[Image: HR3.jpg]
[Image: HR4.jpg]
[Image: HR5.jpg]

Deutschmark

Ah, real beautiful stuff. Smile

Very nice lighting effects, may even give ROF a run for its money.... We could give a lot of feedback once we had like a demo where we could really feel whats it like with our hands on the stick though.

Finally decent screen res.
Looking much better now.

WOW Deutschmark, you have surly out done your self this time, Keep Up the EXCELLENT WORK :Smile)

dogz Wrote:...We could give a lot of feedback once we had like a demo where we could really feel whats it like with our hands on the stick though.

Deutschmark has said a number of times about the Demo. CK is still in very early stages, please be patient and the demo will come, DM has also said the Demo will be the full game, but with a time limit.

Deutschmark Wrote:...and we are not forcing anyone to buy the game that choice is up to the individual
As all will be able to download the full game and it will run as a demo for as long as you like
Till you decide to buy it or not...

Planemad

Just great! Waiting for it patiently. :wink:

Yeah I remember now, so in short the demo will come out once the full game is released, not complaining but I wish we had something right now.

Incidently CK does have a page on Facebook, do you mind if I post these pics there? Might help get some attention in this direction thats all.

dogz Wrote:...
Incidently CK does have a page on Facebook, do you mind if I post these pics there? Might help get some attention in this direction thats all.

Any photos that are posted in this CK public forum are free for anyone
To post any where they like, so yes Dogz feel free to post them over
At that Facebook site.

Deutschmark

WOW!

I was having my doubts about the graphics of this game but after seeing those screens they look amazing and so does the game

I cant wait for this to be released, you guys have really done a very good job on this.
Also, can you please post some screens of ground units at the max settings, the screens I have seen so far look (please forgive me) rather poor.

Hope this games turns out to be a success,

AdamB