Increased .303 damage?

Hey all,
I was wondering if there was a quick way in which to increase the damage of Browning .303s as featured on the Spitfire and Hurricane?
I read stories of pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain saying that 'To destroy a bomber, a good three second burst was needed', yet in my version of IL2, I fire for my full six seconds or so of Ammo at the belly and engine of a He-111, see the flashes, and yet the thing keeps on flying.
Is there any easy way to subtly increase the damage for the .303? (I don't mean a .303-MK108 conversion. Tongue)
Kind regards,
Mike.

Perhaps you could provide some Historical reference or gun cam footage?

Hi Alotef,

i don't know if the 303 in game are well modelled, but i think you forgot something in your post: actually i think you read stories about "ACE" pilots during Battle of Britain only needing a 3 second burst. Remember, a huge part of pilots never scored any kills at all. :|

Second thing, there is quite a difference between AI sustaining damage and human controlled planes. Don't be surprised if AI bomber can sustain far more hits.

Check your convergence, and see if you fly a coordinate trajectory. it could help!

Ah, and i forgot, did you ever wonder why later Spifire and Hurricane marks were upgraded with Hispano 20mm :wink:

ALOTEF Wrote:Hey all,
I was wondering if there was a quick way in which to increase the damage of Browning .303s as ...increase the damage for the .303? (I don't mean a .303-MK108 conversion. Tongue)
Kind regards,
Mike.
Yes, if you can edit class files, there are class files for each weapon,(some are linked to each other, it means if you change the properties for main weapon all other weapons which use these properties will also change!) each weapon's properties are declared there that you can edit. but i think it will be a weapon mod which is against forums (site) rules.

Thanks for the quick responses.
I was just reading a book that was talking about how woefully inept the .303 was at disposing of enemy bombers, and how they began experimenting to Hispano cannons (Which jammed).
This in mind, perhaps the modelling in-game is more accurate than i first suspected. BUT, from a game point of view, this is no fun, as those Yellow-nosed bastards in the 109s get 20mm cannons and I just get rifles. Tongue
Regards,
Mike.

ALOTEF Wrote:Thanks for the quick responses.
I was just reading a book that was talking about how woefully inept the .303 was at disposing of enemy bombers, and how they began experimenting to Hispano cannons (Which jammed).
This in mind, perhaps the modelling in-game is more accurate than i first suspected. BUT, from a game point of view, this is no fun, as those Yellow-nosed bastards in the 109s get 20mm cannons and I just get rifles. Tongue
Regards,
Mike.

Germany did often have the biggest guns, 30mm, 20mm, 15 mm was the usual encounter, not to mention the BK- series of anti-tank guns...

And of course, the Mk108. Wink
I remember playing Battle of Britain II (Awesome game), and I could easily get kills in my Hurri' against Ju-88s or Do-17s. (Perhaps 1.5 per sortie). But now in IL2 I struggle to bring anything down. That being said, there are stories of He-111s returning home with 100 .303-sized bullet holes in them!

What you need to do is encounter them or from above or aim wel from the back.
when i fire 8 .303's for 1.5 sec. i can damage 1 motor to stop.
wel if you can't, don't blame the game but blame yourself.

(-B.M-) Big Grin

How about going into IL-2 Sturmovik and CHANGING your gun convergence distance to 100 meters? If you do this, then and ONLY then will the .303 machine guns do more damage.

Do you have your gun convergence distance in the simulator set? The way to this is to go click on the plane settings next to the ordinance selection, that button.

Where it says "Weapon Convergence Distances" Then find the column that says "Guns" Then click on it and set the gun convergence distance to 100 meters, that way when you get in close to a bomber, you will do maximum damage. Works for me every time.

Are you sure you don't have your guns set to the proper convergence distance? If you set your converge at at 100 meters, you'll be unstoppable. The cone of fire will obliterate your target.
Works for me every time and the bomber goes down faster and try to attack the bomber from high deflection angle using TrackIR to calculate the lead of your bullets.

DId you try that? You will achieve increased .303 damage if you change the gun convergence distance in your weapons settings menu.

ALOTEF Wrote:And of course, the Mk108. Wink
I remember playing Battle of Britain II (Awesome game), and I could easily get kills in my Hurri' against Ju-88s or Do-17s. (Perhaps 1.5 per sortie). But now in IL2 I struggle to bring anything down. That being said, there are stories of He-111s returning home with 100 .303-sized bullet holes in them!

Are you sure you're even hitting the target? I get many Heinkels flaming. You have to get in close. DO NOT ever approach them from behind, you'll get chewed up for lunch by the rear gunners. Do you play Ultrapack?

What I have found is do not shoot at , as you say Belly of the aircraft.
Aim at the engines or control surfaces of it. Flame an engine and it will come down.

I know that my comment is about 2 years later but, My father who flew both Hurricanes and spits with the Polish sq's detested the 303's saying they were `pop' guns. he always laughed at the BoB film where the pilot was shaking from the pop guns firing, he said that you could hardly feel anything when they went off.
The majority of Polish pilots made there guns converge at anything from 75 to 150 yds, dads converged at 100 and he always said you had to get `right up their ass' to do any damage.
when he flew the p-47 he was `blown away' by the firepower of the .5's compared to the 303's

Hi Xjrtaz,

thank you very much for your comment and sharing anyway! 8)

It is always the best comment when it comes from real experience and knowledge. Big Grin

Jambo Big Grin