[Tutorial] Very basic 3D Buildings

This tutorial is not for beginners, you need to have done my tutorial called "Airfield Plates for Beginners". Link here - http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...82&t=28189

This is a step by step guide for making the barn in the picture below. The barn is badly made & very basic. If anyone has trouble following this tutorial I am happy to help but only if you are making the object in the tutorial, it's too much of a headache to help if you are making a completely different object.

[Image: barnu.jpg]

Tutorial Part 1. Basic 3D Buildings
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20402292/...Part+1.rar
or
http://www.mediafire.com/?tlo80yv3zmy0krf

Tutorial Part 2. Collision Mesh
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20459925/...Part+2.rar
or
http://www.mediafire.com/?flyx5y8pl3dlp7o

Tutorial Part 3. Damage Model
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20451316/..._Part3_rar
or
http://www.mediafire.com/?w9hqud73zj3ij10

I'm currently studying 3d but for to build aircrafts, although this guide is meant for other objects, it is also very useful for me.

Thank you very much, it's a job well done. Big Grin

Thank you very much for this another tutorial, without which the community of mapmakers would be much smaller. Cannot be appreciated enough, I think.

Good tutorial.
But to make the texture you would have first had to do the unwrap so that you had a .bmp outline of the object to work on?

Heinkel-162 Wrote:Good tutorial.
But to make the texture you would have first had to do the unwrap so that you had a .bmp outline of the object to work on?

True. But not always. Sometimes I make the texture first & then fit the object to it.

Thx, very much for your tutorial ! Like gold !

However I have a question. I want to import a cockpit mesh into 3dsMax. I do that using the MD5Importer. This works fine. However if I know export it again via BuggyBuggy Exporter to a mesh again, the material mappings are totally scrambled, also the number of vertices has changed, the number of face groups and so on. Very, very frustrating ! :x

Is that normal ? Do I have to remap everything again as soon I import into 3dsMax (I'm using 2010 version) ?

I must atleast be able to move undesired sub meshes away to make room for my custom Instruments, which I can add manually editing the Hier.him (done that already with good results).

Hi
I have never actually done what you are trying to do so I cant really help. I would be curious to know if it exports to the Listener in good, unscrambled, condition before you make any alterations to the Mesh.

Cheers. Kevin

Hello Kevin, following my trials and tribulations with the runway tutorial I thought I would just have to give these a go also, again, thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to put them together, it is very much appreciated. 8)

Sorry to say I have not quite mastered it yet, but will keep trying.

[Image: Barntrial_zps0a36c105.jpg]

Just cannot get that texture thing right. Cry More practice needed me thinks. :wink:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Well persiverence it seems does actually pay off, I tried the tutorial again a few times and finally grasped how to apply the texture. 8)

[Image: Barntextured_zps2945a4e3.jpg]

I have managed to get as far as the damage mesh, and it works. :lol:

[Image: Damagemesh_zps4643315a.jpg]

Took a few tries but I got there in the end.

I had a problem with this that has me stumped though. In the tutorial you say we need to weld the meshes or something like that and indicate to click the left side of the object and pull a box over it to select it first, all this did for me was turn the screen White although the image appeared as yours in the tutorial.

However once I went to click the button to weld things I got a message which indicated there was nothing to weld:

[Image: Collisionmeshproblem_zps254e08bf.jpg]

Any way it does work so I guess I did everything as I should. Smile

That is as far as I got today, the next step has me baffled, 'CONCAVE COLLISION MESHES'

[Image: Collisionmeshes_zps81ac4223.jpg]

There is no explanation of exactly how to do this, have I missed something in the tutorial?

I take it I need to somehow split the shape I have and change the shape of each half, how exactly I am not sure, could you give me some guidance with this please.

Thanks for all your feedback Pete.

I suppose I should have made it more clear in the tutorial that no one can make a concave collision mesh. What you have to do is make two or more convex meshes & place them next to each other so that they look like one mesh.

Since you have already made one collision mesh, you know how to make any collision mesh, the only complex part is getting all the text right in the live.msh file.

Hope this helps

Hello Kevin, thank you very much for the reply, unfortunately I am still not clear on this.

Looking at your illustration do I take it I need to make two shapes like my original but deform them in some way, almost as if they would slot together if need be and also alter their position to each other.

Could I use the existing structure you see and clone it or would they have to be two new objects?

Following that would I then take each object in turn and add the coordinates to the listener and then into the necessary file ?

You also mention there can be many of these collision meshes, how important are they, and what is the least you could get away with?

It appears strange the object is at unusual anges, I would have thought anything colliding with the object would do so on its existing faces, ie walls and roof.

Sorry this is all new to me so my questions are probabley rather stupid, learning curve and not being the brightest spark around are the only excuse I can offer. :wink:

Hello,
is it possible to make windows to the object like above barn by simply redrawing texture file ?
I mean the transparent windows like canopies on airplanes.
Or is it necessary to create the windows when creating 3d model ?

I met this problem at airshed in Belarus1916 map:

viewtopic.php?f=166&t=34231

Sorry Pete but I Haven't made a collision mesh in at least two years so I cant remember all the ins & outs of of how they work without doing lots of testing & carefully reading my own tutorial. So I can't really explain it better than in the tutorial.

Dear Uzin
You can redraw the texture file with a transparent part where you want the window but it will not look like the glass on aircraft canopies,
it would probably just look like a hole in the building.

If you want a proper glass effect you need two separate textures for the same object & two MAT files.. The texture file for the glass would be completely transparent. To make it look like glass you have to change the values in its MAT file to make the texture more reflective.

Hello Kevin thank you for the answer, sorry I did not realise it was so long since you had actually done a collision mesh :oops:

Anyway, I left that particular bit of the tutorial and moved on with the rest just to see what would happen. :wink:

AS you can see I managed to get it into the sim even though it is without a collision mesh. 8)

[Image: Shadow1_zpsd1cd29a9.jpg]

[Image: Shadow2_zpsc1573318.jpg]

I cannot imagine how I would have managed without these tutorials, so again, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to do them and try to actually help me through the process.

It really is very much appreciated.