linux os

so im building a a gaming computer and im fed up with windows...so ive decided to rus linux instead.....does anyone here run il2 on linux? if so what do you use to get it to run... and what works best (freeware and payware)

spitfire13 Wrote:so im building a a gaming computer and im fed up with windows...so ive decided to rus linux instead.....does anyone here run il2 on linux? if so what do you use to get it to run... and what works best (freeware and spyware)

Hi, Spitfire13

A couple years ago someone posted that they had IL-2 running on Linux. That OS is the focus of people who like to tinker with the computer.

By the way, you do not need spyware because it is a type of malware which the author can use to monitor your computer. :wink:

Has anyone reading this actually got IL-2 to run on Linux? Please help him.

Smile

Fireskull

I've been using linux on the desktop for ten years and I'm no geek - the most reliable and secure system ever - I keep a copy of windows for simming only. I wouldn't touch microsoft otherwise..

There are a lot of reliable reports that linux runs flight sims a lot faster and more efficiently - I'll do it myself when I get the time to mess about because although linux, contrary to popular myth and microsoft propaganda, is very easy to use and setup for 'normal' computing, it's not so easy to get stuff like trackir working properly. This is because of vendor-fear and refusal to release code etc. It can take a bit of messing to get some joysticks going with all features too - but like I said this is not the fault of linux which is a superior OS - its all about licenses and monopolies..

If you want to try il2 under linux check out Wine and WineX which apparently will run it no problem. I had fs2004 working with wine a couple of years back and it was a lot smoother.

Fireskull Wrote:
spitfire13 Wrote:so im building a a gaming computer and im fed up with windows...so ive decided to rus linux instead.....does anyone here run il2 on linux? if so what do you use to get it to run... and what works best (freeware and spyware)

Hi, Spitfire13

A couple years ago someone posted that they had IL-2 running on Linux. That OS is the focus of people who like to tinker with the computer.

By the way, you do not need spyware because it is a type of malware which the author can use to monitor your computer. :wink:

Has anyone reading this actually got IL-2 to run on Linux? Please help him.

Smile

Fireskull

fireskull: lol yes i know the spyware...i typed this with my iphone and it changed it to that
Ramone: thanks thats the answer i was looking for Smile

S!

Yes, il-2 work very well in Linux. Just use UBUNtu 11.04 and wine 1.3.

S!