Problem I can't get my head round!!!

Hi there

I'm having a problem with my PC that I original put down to a virus, but since then I have wiped the hard disk and reinstalled win 7 and the problem is still there.

The problems is that some programs don't start at all or they run fine (ish) but then they don't close down fully, in both case they just look like there sitting there on task manger doing nothing at all. Again in both cases when this happens I cannot kill / shout down the process with any process manger program I have tried.

Only thing I can find that these programs have in common is they leave data in private bytes, about 1/4 of what they was original using.

I have tried a number of things but I can't seem to find the cause and I am lost.

[Image: what.jpg]

Hi, madcat

See if you can go into the Windows Task Manager, select the running programs in Processes, and End them.

Fireskull

Hi Fireskull

Yeah I tried that and it didn't work but I have found out what it is now. Turns out of all things it's the latest version of Java (Version 6 Update 27)!!!

I don't know what they have done but only found it because I decided to start from scratch, reinstalling windows, updating it and then installing the programs I was having problems with first. Then installing other programs and 3rd part drivers / software and testing the computer every time which has take me two bloody days :x .

After I installed Java Version 6 Update 27 not only did I get the problems like before but hard disk went mental for ages and processes seemed to start to get hotter then normal.

Any way did system restore and computers fine again... So god knows what they have done, thanks any way for trying to help.

FFS spoke too soon...

Tried older versions of Java and again it dos the same thing as before. So not got Java on my computer any more and all programs seem to be working fine, but now modern warfare 2 is doing the same thing of not closing down.

So I'm starting to think its not just Java but a some thing to do with an update of windows... cos in short I've done tests on the hard ware as well as updated the bios and tests to see if any files or any thing to to do with the OS is corrupted and I can't find any thing.

What you think Fireskull?

I have had problems like that disappear after a Windows update ( hours or days later published by Microsoft ) later or after a System Restore.

Fireskull

Try turning off UAC (user account control) and turning off Windows Indexing Service.
Then run CCleaner (registry cleaner) and make sure that all Registry Keys are good.

You may want to also try checking for a root kit (Have just recently started to see them on Win Vista/7 machines).
I believe that AVG has one built into it.

S!

Quick update... Sad

Since last time reformatted again because I wondered if I had a bad install but still getting the same problems.

Did happen to do what you said Jinxx before you said it, except check to see if "Indexing Service" is running, which its not but tried what you said a cuople more times wile doing other things as well but it done nothing.

Downloaded today a program to test the Memory in more detail from Microsoft to see if that can find any thing because I did some reading on "private bytes" and something like what I'm having is down to a memory leek in a program as I under stand it, but how can so many programs / games all have the same memory leek type symptoms and why dose it seem to effect any thing that uses the net!!!

Any way also looking for a free program that can test the motherboard and CPU in detail to see if I can find any thing cos I'm lost, think I fix it or work out what's wrong, reboot the computer and its back...

So... this is what tends to happen with programs / games under different circumstance.

Run program / game ,then exit right away = closes fine
Run program / game ,then run offline, then exit = closes fine (99% of the time)
Run program / game ,then run online (ie browsing servers), then exit = closes fine some times, doesn't close / crashes / freezes other times
Run program / game ,then run online and connect to some one / server, then exit = doesn't close / freezes
Run program / game ,connect to some one / server from start up then exit = doesn't close / crashes / freezes

Any surgestions welcome... Smile

(PS before any one ask's because I know it gets asked allot, I still have the problems with or with out my Anit-vurise / Firewall software installed.)