New CK Video Camel v Camel

On Dec, 3, 2011 the CK beta team was having a online test of the new CK EXE
During that testing one of the beta testers was filming and sent me this short video
He had done and I thought I would share it with you all.

[Image: Camel.jpg]

Things to note;
There is still no damage model as that is slated to be worked on this coming year 2012.
He does not have shadows and shaders on.
The beater tester is using Track IR.
The skin on the Camel is a custom paint from one of the beta testers.

Enjoy!
PLAY VIDEO

Deutschmark

WOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brilliant, just sheer brilliance :mrgreen:

But I think I saw a friendly fire going on there :wink:

Planemad

*applauds loudly* looking good!

Really cool! gota get myself a TrackIR Smile & that skin on the camel looks beautiful

just one thing i had with my setup, because im using wide screen display, when i played the video it looked very squashed (wrong aspect i think)
so if anyone else gets this problem i simply used 'media player classic' to stretch to fit my screen and it then looked correct

Hi DM !!!

What a nice vid here ;o)

Congrats for the hard work accomplished !!!! It looks very good ;o)

Ted

Hi Deutschmark,

very nice video. Big Grin
When I heard the struts crackle I've got goosebumps. :mrgreen: :Smile)

I do like the skin very much. Very beautifully done! Looks great!! 8)

Thank you for sharing!

Jambo :wink:

Smile

Looks like you guys are having fun!

That's a very beautiful skin on that Camel.

Fireskull

Glad you all liked it. Smile
It was a fun time.

Deutschmark

Explosions? Not really WW1. Better to see plenty of bits flying off or signs that the enemy has caught fire (soon to become a serious choice for the hapless pilot).

Also I notice the enemy flies very smoothly. That's fine as far as it goes, but where's the use of rudder to evade or confuse the guy behind you? Or the natural lightness of a WW1 biplane that tends to make the wings rock? That doesn't need to be part of the players in-cockpit experience, but something like that ought to be visible if you see what I mean.

That said, looking good.

No developers were harmed in the making of this criticism.

Hi caldrail, your right about the explosions them are still the stock sand box sim explosions and also as for bits flying off or caughting fire all this is soon to be dealt with this coming year when we put in damage model.
As for the planes flying smoothly them are being operated by players online, as for seeing the plane rock and wing cracking its there when he starts to maneuver after the other unless am not understand what you mean.

All in all glad you liked what you seen as we are going to do are best to try to get it out some time this coming year.

Deutschmark

WW1 biplanes are lightweight machines and respond readily to turbulence and thermals . Also some of them were somewhat sensitive on the controls. On the one hand it would be great to see some 'unsteadiness' represented visually, but on the other the player would soon tire of the in-cockpit view rocking about.

Hi caldrail, ok now I understand what you meant, that is there in the sim already and is controled by the one that sets up the server, I just did not have any wind on in the server that day when that video was made, but when the wind is on be it off line or on line you sure do get rocked around from it and have to make constant corrections for it.

Deutschmark

Okay, cool.

I have been looking into WW1 aircraft damage in combat, and whilst I'm not able to provide specific statatistics, in the majority of cases the most vulnerable part is the squidgy thing at the controls. Hit him and the plane will go down, though I accept it is possible for an aeroplane to fly on with a dead man sat in the cockpit if he doesn't slump forward or inadvertantly pull.

Generally speaking airframe damage doesn't easily bring an aeroplane down, largely because the solid rifle calibre bullets make lots of small holes - although cumulative damage might weaken the structure or surfaces with obvious results. A unlucky pilot might have control cables severed though there's nothing in the sources I've looked at that specifically mention this. In most cases, even if control damage doesn't immediately bring an aeroplane down, landing it aferward is going to be a potentially hit or miss experience.

Engine damage is always a possibility though suprisingly rare (pilot in the way? Or a function of size and simplicity? The rifle calbre machine guns have enough penetrative power - the rifles of the day were designed to kill at much longer ranges than we use today) with most problems emerging from damage to very small targets like fuel lines. That said, hot fluids might easily cause a fire given the aeroplane is covered with inflammable materials, and interestingly the prospect of aerial immolation was widely recognised as a risk of flying in that era - one english ace had a morbid fear of that eventuality and kept a pistol to prevent having to make the choice between burning and falling. Human instinct almopst invariably results in the choice to jump if fire results.

Fuel tanks can be hit and don't have self-sealing. They wont of themselves explode - that's a hollywood fallacy - though the presence of heat may well induce a fire. However - and this would be a very rare occurence - damage to a fuel tank that results in a fine spray rather than drip, and in situations where the resulting fuel/air mix is contained such as in the fuselage - provide a risk of a small explosion. Certainly enough to break the structure apart, though not necessarily to cause a catastrophric ignition of the fuel tank itself.

Oil related hits also have a risk of fire, and will eventually cause the engine to sieze. Since many WW1 engines had very little throttle control, particularly rotary engines which were essentially on, off, or reduced ignition (about 90% power and not a safe policy in most situations), we can say the pilot will experince power reduction very rapidly. There doesn't seem to be many reported cases of hot oil affecting the pilot.

Water related hits are smilar with regard to engine siezures and fires, plus in some designs the radiator was on the top wing and then inconventiently above the pilot who suffered scalding water when the radiator was hit. Pilots in this sort of situation are unlikely to control their aeroplane adequately.

Collisions can cause spectacular structural damge or relatively minor dings depending on circumstance. Explosions are unlikely.

Hope this all helps.

Thank you caldrail, yes all this and more is being looked at for damage model and we will do our best to make it as good as possible wile keeping PC performances high on and off line for the user.

Deutschmark

Very interesting post Caldrail, thank you ;o)

Ted