I need a laptop for IL2 COD, any advice ?

Hi Mates,

I need a new laptop now. I am just beginning to see what is on the market.

I saw an Asus N56VZ-S3087V 15,6" LED Blu-Ray, Nvidia GeForce GTX660M Graphic card, Intel i7, 2,3GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX660M

Or an Asus N56VZ-S3087V 15,6" LED Blu-Ray, Intel Core i7-3610QM, 3,3 GHz, 8 Go, stockage : 1 To, NVIDIA Geforce GT650M

I really don't know if it will be ok for IL2 COD, with great settings.

BTW : would it be possible to play il2 COD, IL2 1946 last UP and Rise Of Flight on a Macbook, and if yes with which one ?

Thanks for advising me !!!!

Ted Big Grin

Hi, Ted

First, the issue of 64-bit verses 32-bit might give you huge problems when it comes time to consider 32-bit and 64-bit programs. Some programs absolutely run only in a 32-bit or a 64-bit system. :!: The good part is that CoD, RoF, and IL-2 1946 will run best in 64-bit. The bad part is that some software applications only run in 32-bit so there might be a conflict if you want to run a 32-bit program in the same system as your 64-bit Operating System. The three simulators themselves should run well in 64-bit, though you might need to do a few things for this to happen.

I'm sure you know that a dedicated graphics card is a must to handle all those programs with good image and performance.

PC and Macs will run any of those flight simulators quite well if you get compatible specifications and you are willing to do some work with configuring the programs and possibly handling drivers.

A 1333 Mhz DDR-3 or better is a must for running all of those programs with good performance. Try to get DDR-5 if you can.

If price is very important, then you probably will lean toward a PC with ATI/AMD graphics card. If I were not concerned with money, then I would get a high end Mac with NVIDIA 650 or higher running 64 - bit Bootcamp for XP, but extra tasks will be required to get all those programs running well.

Caution: The 32-bit programs against 64-bit programs is going to bite you eventually in your system. One could make a good case that a Mac with bootcamp 64-bit would be your best option to run all these programs but you will pay the price in both money and learning new skills.

The conflict between the 64-bit and the 32-bit is going to give you hoops to jump no matter what you decide if you want to run IL-2 1946 and any of the 64 bit programs in the same computer as well as choosing among 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP through Window 7 programs besides these simulators. In my opinion, the conflict can not be resolved easily by most people out there. Your going to need to be savvy to handle everything. Are you ready to do the research which is required to learn this?

PCs
The Asus N56VZ-S3087V 15,6" LED Blu-Ray, Nvidia GeForce GTX660M Graphic card, Intel i7, 2,3GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX660M has the fewer driver problems but performance is less.

Asus N56VZ-S3087V 15,6" LED Blu-Ray, Intel Core i7-3610QM, 3,3 GHz, 8 Go, stockage : 1 To, NVIDIA Geforce GT650M is what I would prefer. Though the GT650 has more driver problems, I would chose driver problems which are usually easier for me to fix than hardware inferiority.

Take a look at the MSI for comparison: http://www.msimobile.com/level2_productlist.aspx?id=6

* For PCs, are you going to need a special partition for IL-2 1946? Special partition is not needed with Compatibility Mode For Windows XP Service Pack 2. Will you need to run IL-2 1946 in Compatibility Mode For Windows XP Service Pack 2? This Compatibility Mode should be used for Windows 7 and 64-bit systems. After this, if these do not make IL-2 function, then there are utilities to make this work. How are you going to run 64-bit programs and 32-bit programs in the same Operating System? You need to know what is the operating system which is required for each program and weather it is 32-bit or 64-bit. CoD, RoF, and IL-2 1946 can be run in 64-bit, but other programs might not run at all in 64-bit even with Compatibility Mode.

Macs
Bootcamp allows you to bridge compatiblity issues if you get the right one for your programs.

Yes I say to everything and add that for COD in a Mac, look for 64-bit bootcamp and at least a 5000 series HD Radeon or at least a 500 series Nvidia graphics card. CoD should be run through Bootcamp Windows 7 64-bit, though graphics card drivers might need to be changed if performance is poor.

To run the high effects settings in UP, look for both high system ram and also good video ram in your computer. UP also has performance enhancements built into this, so I would not worry about performance issues here in a Mac. For a Mac, you will need to experiment to see if IL-2 1946 runs better in Bootcamp XP or Bootcamp Windows 7, but I would start with Bootcamp Windows 7 64-bit.

Rise of Flight is unpredictable with drivers. For a Mac, RoF runs best in bootcamp for Windows 7 64-bit, but graphics card drivers could be an issue.

This is your most important consideration: In using a 64-bit computer system, some of the 32-bit programs out there not work because of unfixable driver incompatibility if you want to keep the best drivers for the simulators which you listed. The Windows 64-bit system allows better performance and more effects quality in CoD, RoF, and IL-2 1946 but some 32-bit programs can not be made to work in this 64-bit system.

For all the above reasons, you must be ready for the possibility that you may not be able to get all programs running well in your computer.

Smile

Fireskull

I am no expert, so take my comments with a grain of salt, LOL.

I no longer use laptops for flight sim gaming...I have burnt out (2) laptops graphics cards over the past 5 years. While they make the high end graphics cards that can handle the game...in my opinion, they have a hard time dissipating the heat generated under long periods of time, like in gaming. The mobile graphics cards also tended to not update their drivers for gaming as much as desktops. I could be wrong about it....my (2) laptops were high end machines designed for engineering CAD programs, so they were more business oriented graphics cards then specific gaming cards.

The long term heat dissipation and build up of dust at the heat sink (which is hard to keep clean) made me buy a desktop for CloD.

I know they make gaming laptops, and that might be what you are looking into, I am just suspect of their performance based on my experiences.

Hi, marmusman

Laptops are wonderful for gaming with only a few easy things to do. I have run simulations on two laptops for a total of about 7 years with no problems and they weren't even made for gaming. May I offer some suggestions?

Relatively simple cooling solutions are available. Having a cooling pad under the laptop is crucial, I feel. Mine has a power cord to one of the USB ports and runs two little fans to help with cooling. The cooling pad was inexpensive and has lasted for years. A bunch of cooling pad models are available, even extra powerful for gaming laptops. Somewhere I saw a kit for an extra fan that can be clipped to one of the air vents in the side of the laptop and switched directions if needed to follow the flow of air from the fan inside the laptop. One time I rigged my own little computer fan from a desktop computer to the laptop using a little container box that I made for it. Cooling can always be improved in any stock computer over factory made cooling - true for laptops or desktops.

The only way to be sure that overheating was or was not the cause of a malfunction is to use one of the free utilities to monitor the core temperatures of the CPU and GPU. Some better ones are cheap to buy. These work in a laptop if you get the right ones. There are tools to watch the temperature of other components in a computer, but they cost a little money.

The dust issue is actually easy, too. For handling the dust in a laptop, the best thing is to remove the bottom panel, ground the laptop and wear rubber gloves to prevent static electrical discharge for protecting the electronics - simple to do actually, and only use air stream blast to clear the dust. It only takes a few minutes to do all this. If the laptop is still under waranty then a good alternative is to buy a cheap can of compressed air. You can get them at computer stores or online. They come with a little straw looking pipe to get through the vent grating on a laptop and reach the inner parts. You can move it in different angles to blow the dust crap out the computer. After doing this, the user can run the computer to get the integrated fan inside the laptop to run which clears more dust, then turn it off and repeat the process one more time. If a person waits to see a lot of dust in the computer, then that is too long between cleanings. Very little dust should ever be seen inside a computer. Both statical electrical dustruction of components and over heating are too high of a risk to not clean the computer, as you know. Clearing dust is cheap and easy with laptops.

As for performance, some laptops today are better than the best single GPU desktop gaming computer of a year or two ago. The gap is closing in performance between single GPU laptops and single GPU desktop computers because there are ways to mechanically ensure cooling and it is improving with time for several reasons. Cooling systems are becoming smaller but better. The same is true for graphics cards. Other components inside laptops are also utilizing space better. These will keeping improving. Somewhere recently I saw an ad for a laptop with two GPUs! :OO

I would not trade the all-in-one convenience and portability of a laptop for a desktop computer, such a sitting in a cafe shop or library. I am a huge WiFi user! Free Internet while I get my coffee, too! Yeah! It is also very nice to move the laptop around the house easily and still play games and simulations almost anywhere that I want. Portability is the best of all scenarios. Sitting close to the screen at arms length from me, I see it quite well and in some ways better than a large HD living room television screen. Added to this, good performing laptops are now quite affordable. Big Grin

Just my little humble opinions I put here. :mrgreen:

I really want to help. Smile

Hey Ted,

Let us know what you get and how you like it, okay?

Fireskull

Hi Fireskull,

I have had a look at MSI, I saw this one : MSI GT783 643FR - 17.3" - Core i7 2670QM - Windows 7 Familiale Premium 64 bits - 750 Go HDD

But I have a question, even if it has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M - 2 Go GDDR5 SDRAM, CPU is an Intel Core i7 (2nd génération) 2670QM / 2.2 GHz.

As an example, Asus or Macs have DDR3 but more GHz (up to 3,3). What is better to have more GHz or DDR5 ?

Thanks for advices ;o)

Ted Big Grin

Hi, Ted

All other things being equal, a better graphics performance is a higher priority than a fast CPU.

When to prefer a little better CPU boost in performance:
An exception to preferring graphics performance would be if you use IL-2 for online, have TeamSpeak, and several devices linked such as pedals, control panel with switches and levers, and floor mount joystick. Having several non-video external devices like this really uses a lot of CPU power, so go with the better CPU if what I describe here is your system.

When to prefer graphics over CPU performance:
On the other extreme, if you use video recording devices such as Fraps than I recommend going with the better video and graphics performance. Most people do not use several external device link type devices and most should prefer the better graphics performance when forced to chose between the better graphics or the better CPU.

The best systems have a great CPU with much RAM (system RAM) and a faster GPU with big and fast G-RAM (video RAM). As I like to remind folk, the better the DDR then the less stuttering in general. The DDR-5 is better over DDR-2 or DDR-3. If you use heavy effects mods, then DDR-5 is especially important. A video memory clock speed of 1333 Mhz is minimum for heavy effects mods and better graphics settings ( graphics configuration of IL-2 and your video card ).

Fireskull

Hi Clinton,
I hope you are well ;o)

A little update, if (finally!) I will go tomorrow to buy a new laptop, it might be this one :

Asus N56VB-S4057H 15,6",Intel Core i7-3630QM , 2,4 Ghz , Windows 8, 64 bits, 16 Go RAM, SATA 1To 5400 tours/min, DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740M

Thanks for you help and your advices ;o)

Ted

EDIT: I have finally bought a Toshiba 15,6",Intel Core i7-3630QM , 2,4 Ghz , Windows 8, 64 bits, 8 Go RAM, SATA 1To 5400 tours/min, DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT650
Optimus. It should lauch COD ;o)