potential relation between IL-2 install and gfx prob

Good day gentlemen,

you are really my last hope before a system reboot/reinstall.
I already posted at SAS and just sent this very message to my HistoMod team comrades.
Last night I remembered that this forum contains by far the best hardware to IL-2 tips, so here I am.

Quote..
"

Following prob:
After the last HistoMod install where JP accidently zipped the relevant Histo files into the wrong folder, I pressed the
default IL-2 1946 gaming exe.
I got this message, of course:

[Image: 1-1.jpg]

Ever since then, my anisotropic filtering does not work (properly) anymore, aynthing for which I bought my new system's card looks ugly in IL-2.

And I have this registry setting, which I can not delete:
[Image: 2.jpg]

It is the only UbiSoft registry string on my system now.
I know it sounds unbelievable, but I've seen similar things regarding graphics before with both UbiSoft and IL-2.
E.g. whenever I install IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 a second time from DVD, the same thing happens: My anisotropic filtering goes away and coastlines and cockpit parts etc are blurred.

Best thing: ALL applications are infected, everywhere more blur and less anisotropic filtering. Confusedhock:
I recall a similar issue with LockOn btw. And with FarCry...guess what: All UBiSoft titles.

Will also post this at AAS. This is not meant as bad talk vs UbiSoft, they made kickass games and I love them, but maybe some applications contain potential connections towards the graphics settings. No idea.

Greets

T.

PS: It is not that anisotropic filtering goes away completely, it just works much less effective, could also influence anti aliasing.
"

My OS:
Windows XP 32 Bit, SP 2
3 Gigs of RAM/KIngston DDR2
AMD/Ati HD 5770
Western Digital harddrive
AMD 2.85 Quadcore.

And sorry, I had this very same issue a long time ago and now I hope I typed it more well-languaged.

Kind Greets

Thorst.
Big Grin

Hi Tom, here is one thing you can try, if your install is setup on C drive then back date your PC to just the time before your install stopped working or before you had put that update in, but you will then need to update your PC windows updates and virus-ware updates if you have gotten any within that time, also if you put anything else on your C drive within that time you will need to put it back.

Hope it helps.
Deutschmark

Thanks a lot Deutschmark, I will consider this and also keep you posted.
Big Grin
I already tried that the last time I had a similar issue with IL-2, but to no avail.
No idea what this phenomenon is, I can only say I am not phantasizing since the level of GFX uglyness
(relative to previous filtering effect) is now clearly visible to me.

Chrs

Tom

Back dateing dont always work its about 80% that it will work, but its the last try before a reinstall.

Deutschmark

Deutschmark Wrote:Back dateing dont always work its about 80% that it will work, but its the last try before a reinstall.

Deutschmark

Copy that, and I will do that as soon as I have tried my last tricks. :wink:
Thank you for the quick and solid reply, will now check my last exit options and then...backdate at the weekend..
PS: My Windows it on the D:/ drive.
Guess that makes no difference?

Cheers

Tom

PS: My Windows it on the D:/ drive.
Guess that makes no difference?
---------------------------------

Dont know, I have only had to do it on C drive a few times so am not sure.

Deutschmark

OK, thanks in any case, Deutschmark.
:wink:
I will try it, cannot hurt at the current state.
Those blurry coastlines drive me nuts. :lol:

Regards

Tom

Hi, Tom

IL-2 1946 does not come with anisotropic setting ON by default, so if you want it then you must configure IL-2 to that. See my topic here, especially page 3:
IL-2 Guide for Computers, Benchmarking, Optimizing, Tweaking
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22314&start=30

[Image: IL-2SetupBestAbsoluteImageQuality-1.gif]

Blurring can occur in IL-2 by not having a visibilitydistance= setting high enough in the conf.ini file of IL-2. Having a problem with blurring across various applications is in your graphics system. Go to your graphics card control panel and increase the settings one at a time. Your ATI Catalyst is likely the focus of a solution for you. You might need to make a special profile in your graphics control panel for IL-2 1946 with a file path to the main folder location of IL-2.

After you have made all changes which you feel should be tried, then make the conf.ini file in IL-2 into READ-ONLY status. Look at the configuration information in my thread for more information - see above link. Any future graphics changes will require you to undo the READ-ONLY, make the changes, and lastly reapply the READ-ONLY.

Your graphics system should be able to handle maximum IL-2 configuration across the board.

Try these things and get back to us.

Clinton

Thanks a lot for the thorough reply, Clinton!

I am currently wondering what could possibly cause my issue, because as it stands this is my situation:
I optimised the config.ini long ago according your threads and only made minor adjustments for tests.
Of course one can never rule out any of the latter may have been the culprit, but I double checked those.

Now I went ahead and made a new Histomod install based on a clean unmodded 4.07 install-copied to my C drive.
(Windows rests on the D drive.)
Then I accidently hit the default exe since the modding files had been unzipped in he "wrong" sub-directory.

From then on all my IL-2 installs and all my other applications including Falcon BMS4.32 show reduced AF effectiveness and
in general a less appealing rendering.
So it is even independent of that one new install.
I know that sounds totally stupid :oops: but is what I seem to have explored at least 2-3 times over the past 4 years whenever I messed with the Vanilla unmodded game and suggested my system it is a "2nd registered install" of a clean DVD game version which tries to start the game or in fact started it-in case of a deliberate new install on the same OS..which I used on purpose whenver the older install was messed or deleted.

Really, really weird. Since then I always install IL-2 maximum once and for all other games I use modded backups or vanilla backups, never the DVD or default IL-2 1946 exe.

I had a similar issue anytime I activated a certain LockOn mod long ago.
Each time I was stupid enough to disobey "the rules"...pretty much the effect I have now, in 2 different PC configurations.
So, TBH, I rule out any specific game config.ini setting in that particular install, which is one out of 6 modded installs.
Nevertheless I will re-examine your tips. Thank you!

Regards and also thanks to Deutschmark..
Big Grin

Thorsten

Tom,

Do you have your latest ATI/AMD updates? You should either manually update them, which is what I do to test them for corrupt files - recommended for experienced users, or leave the graphics updates on automatic setting to be sure to get them.

As I wrote earlier, I believe your graphics system is the issue. Someone I know told me today that ATI/AMD has had problems with their graphics drivers in recent weeks and they published several update fixes. An update with corrupted files is also possible, so I feel that you should manually download and install the lastest couple of drivers for your graphics system. After that, you might want to consider setting updates to automatic and schedule them so they do not interfere with your gaming. If you don't want to manually install the update graphics drivers, then simply set the automatic updater to update in the next hour, let it complete the process, and repeat it again after that in case they send a following update after the first.

IL-1946 should be installed outside Program Files in any case. Most other programs can be installed inside Program Files with no problems.

Get replacement updates for your graphics system, at least the last two, and let us know how it goes.

Clinton

Fireskull Wrote:Tom,

Do you have your latest ATI/AMD updates? You should either manually update them, which is what I do to test them for corrupt files - recommended for experienced users, or leave the graphics updates on automatic setting to be sure to get them.

As I wrote earlier, I believe your graphics system is the issue. Someone I know told me today that ATI/AMD has had problems with their graphics drivers in recent weeks and they published several update fixes. An update with corrupted files is also possible, so I feel that you should manually download and install the lastest couple of drivers for your graphics system. After that, you might want to consider setting updates to automatic and schedule them so they do not interfere with your gaming. If you don't want to manually install the update graphics drivers, then simply set the automatic updater to update in the next hour, let it complete the process, and repeat it again after that in case they send a following update after the first.

IL-1946 should be installed outside Program Files in any case. Most other programs can be installed inside Program Files with no problems.

Get replacement updates for your graphics system, at least the last two, and let us know how it goes.

Clinton

Thanks again Clinton!

TBH I always use the 10.9 driver since this one proved to be the most stable and satisfying for my entire system.
Only after the mentioned new install and issues, I gave the latest 12.8 CCC a try.
Like usual, I completely removed the old driver and folders as per AMD suggestions and later removed remaining registry entries. Of course that is only half-decent, since to be sure you also need a driver cleaner.

I get your logic, but anything from AMD /Ati which came after September 2010 was a nogo for me except the 11.5 suite.
So I never used other drivers except for brief tests-just to revert the same week each time.
I even think about getting an HD 5870 instead the new cards for an upgrade since the AMD drivers drove me crazy, unplayable for my IL-2 installs except: 10.4 (with bugs), 10.5, 10.7, 10.9.
ATM I try your other tips (well until tomorrow noon) and I will keep you gents updated.

Again many thanks. :Smile) Of course I am willing to test the help section tips again and surely I appreciate the above info much...only drivers and my system is a very delicate theme and really...I tried everything with newer drivers-yet none was as decent as the "beloved" 10.9 suite. :Smile)
Especially IL-2 did never work properly with anything beyond the 11.5 driver..and I am not alone with this sadness.
However-the 10.9 suite is just what I need..even the color temperature is more appealing to me and my monitor since with the 10.10 drivers a new color temperature sheme seems to have been applied.
I tend to assume the issue I have is one of those rare unspecificable problems...I cannot even exclude my assumptions are all wrong and it was a bad multiplayer session at BMS Falcon which caused the problem.
..many thanks..

Salute

Thorsten

Tom,

After you get things working well again, please let us know what you did, okay? If you have any questions, then feel free to ask any time.

Smile

Clinton

Copy that and thanks a lot for the very well thought out suggestions. Big Grin
I will post back as soon as I am satisfied with my installs again.
In the meantime I assure you at no other sim forum did I read so many useful tips.

Cheers

Thorsten