backing up hard drive for new OS

Hi guys , just a question for the tech heads , I'm going to to do a clean install of Windows 7 , I'm going get get rid of Vista once and for all , so..that being said can I take all my files located in my C drive , back them up in an external hard drive ,,then once I've installed Windows 7 , can I simply just drop them back on my pc from the external without causing any conflicts ?? I just wonder if the Vista related stuff that might be in the files might cause issues with 7 that I dont want .. thanks ahead

Bolt

Hi Bolt,

YES! Save the complete maingamefolder on external drive.

(You can start the game from the ext. drive to look that is all right.)

(If stutters it doesn't matter - it will only start and you know the copy is ok!)

Install your Win7.

But when Win7 is installed you configure your new OS (Win7) at first.

After that you copy back your saved IL-2 maingamefolder on your Win7 HDD.

BUT COPY YOUR MAINGAMEFOLDER NOT IN ANY "PROGRAMFOLDER"!

(No Windows Installer is needed for IL-2!)

Wbr, Gerhard Big Grin

Hi,

I would like to add that you can make what is called a "system image" which is an exact copy of a hard drive. Look into this.

It is possible to upgrade your Windows Vista with a Windows 7 upgrade, resulting in all your files being left in place - in theory. Look into this also.

I recommend making copies of everything that you want to keep just in case.

What I do is copy everything that I want to keep, either manually or by backup function, restore to factory fresh installation, then reconstitute my files. Sometimes I use a "system image" after the factory fresh installation. In your case, there might be a factory fresh restoration option available with upgrading to Windows 7 but you might need to have a disk intallation of Windows 7 with some makes of computers to do this. Some systems might ask if you want to upgrade to Windows 7 along with several previous mentioned options here. This is why you need to do some reading in your Windows Help and also the manufacturer's system options and Help.

Clinton

Quote:It is possible to upgrade your Windows Vista with a Windows 7 upgrade, resulting in all your files being left in place - in theory.

Yes, what Firescull wrote is right!

But do it not if your old "Vista" is 32 Bit and your new Win7 is 64 Bit!