Uninstall Help

I am having issues with my install of Il2 1946. it is digital patched and worked with mods.Installed it on C drive outside of Program files in a separate folder. Worked fine until Mother board failed. I reformatted, with new Motherboard CPU GPU etc. The original install remained n the drive as did "windows Old" . The game seemed to play well until I noticed that a new campaigned could not be generated with the DGen, (not using DCG as of now) other small glitches seem to have surfaced. I have decided to start over and reinstall the game. How do I uninstall the game ? It does not show up in the control panel uninstall programs dialog box. nor can I uninstall it using REVO uninstaller in hunter mode. I even tried the install or setup hoping a uninstall option would appear. It was on the window but not highlighted to select. I want to uninstall to start fresh. On another unrelated problem, ever since I updated the latest ATI catalyst driver to 12.0. Now I experience transparent black or grey triangles flashing on the screen and the greens on the ground level as you get closer to the ground seem to change and have a dramatic change of shade and contrast

Hi, Hoghead

Deleting any IL-2 is a last resort, but to be avoided if you want to reinstall IL-2. Try installing IL-2 to a different user account in that user account folder, such as Desktop or Downloads and rename it if necessary to the same name as the bugged one. If you had made a separate copy of IL-2 put in storage, then you could just copy and overwrite it to that location, so next time make a separate copy and place it in storage. Once IL-2 is installed, then it should only be a matter of copying or moving a new IL-2 program to that location and overwrite. This can be done from DVD, flash drive, external hard drive, or even another computer. If you still can not install IL-2 afresh, then you might need to make a separate partition to install IL-2, copy that whole IL-2 folder to another storage device, and lastly move it to the location of the troubled IL-2 and overwrite.

Clinton

Luckily I have the original digital downloaded files saved on my D drive. I am wondering if the root of my bug is the fact that this install is left over from when I reformatted the drive due to a MOBO failure. I notice another bug or glitch is on single missions that were in the missions folder before the reformat, and after, the difference is the missions that were created before the reformat, they cannot be edited or save or modded with Quick mission tuner. Missions that I created or downloaded after the new OS instal can be altered modded and saved in QMT. I may be getting off topic but I am wondering if I could 1st try and reinstall IL2 1946 with the original Digital download 4.08 and overwrite a possibly corrupt Conf ini file or something like that. If I understood you correctly in your reply if all else fails. Reinstall from scratch in a new folder on the C drive. Patch up from there to 4.11. If this works can the old folder just be deleted?
Thank s

Hoghead,

Read this whole post before you do anything...

Don't delete anything until you are sure that you have tried everything, perhaps after you get a fresh install and all the mods added.

Quote:Luckily I have the original digital downloaded files saved on my D drive.

That is better than nothing! Big Grin

Just so you know:

The stock IL-2 1946, if it is the digital download version, must have a special modder created patch for digital download version of IL-2 to ensure that all mods work properly - patch installed after IL-2 4.08:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=31580
http://www.mediafire.com/?sx1y4s0bb5edkas

After the modder created patch mentioned above here, then continue with the stock patches and add mod patches last.

Quote:I am wondering if the root of my bug is the fact that this install is left over from when I reformatted the drive due to a MOBO failure. I notice another bug or glitch is on single missions that were in the missions folder before the reformat, and after, the difference is the missions that were created before the reformat, they cannot be edited or save or modded with Quick mission tuner. Missions that I created or downloaded after the new OS instal can be altered modded and saved in QMT.

That could be the case if there was file fragmentation before the failure. Disk defragmentation should be a task done several times per year for serious modders. Had it been done recently before your motherboard failure, then maybe you would have a normal IL-2 running now from a system image copy. System data files keep track of file names and paths. With a new system and reformatting, all that data is obsolete in your case. After a hardware failure, the only way to ensure that you get back on track is to use a copy of fully modded IL-2.

Quote:I may be getting off topic but I am wondering if I could 1st try and reinstall IL2 1946 with the original Digital download 4.08 and overwrite a possibly corrupt Conf ini file or something like that

That would overwrite some stock IL-2 data but not restore modded data.

Quote:If I understood you correctly in your reply if all else fails. Reinstall from scratch in a new folder on the C drive. Patch up from there to 4.11. If this works can the old folder just be deleted?

The old folder technically could be deleted after a new installation, but I would keep it to see if there were mission files and other things which can be salvaged from it. If you get a new installation of IL-2 running, then I recommend copying the old IL-2 to an external storage to search for salvageable parts such as conf.ini file, mission files, and so on.

Stages of Reinstallation

Note:
A) Make a copy of your old modded IL-2 to an external location.
B) Make a copy of your new modded IL-2 to an external location.

1) Be sure to copy the old IL-2 to an external location. See if IL-2 can be installed in another location on your main drive. If it can, then get it all patched and running. Make a copy of it to the old IL-2 location and overwrite all. Test both old and new missions, as well as other modding issues.

2) If IL-2 will not install anywhere else on your hard drive, then copy the old one to an external storage device and disconnect or turn off the storage after that. Try another attempt at installing stock IL-2, preferably in the old location if you want. If a new installation is accepted, then patch it. If the new installation is not accepted and you made a copy of the old IL-2, then delete the old IL-2 main folder with all the contents at the original location. Retry another new installation. Copy from the copy of the old modded IL-2 to the new installation and overwrite all. Test both old and new missions, as well as other modding issues.

3) If IL-2 will still not install after removing the old copy, then you will have to install in an external drive or separate partition, patch it completely, then copy and drag it to the old IL-2 location and overwrite the old IL-2. (Make a copy of the old modded IL-2 for a salvage attempt at mission files and so forth!) Take your copy of the old modded IL-2 and copy to the new installation with all the same mod patches if possible and overwrite all. Your newer missions should be preserved and maybe old ones restored! Test both old and new missions, as well as other modding issues.

4) Last resort: Having a copy of the old IL-2 in an external location, delete the old IL-2 in the original location. Next try installing stock IL-2 and add all stock and mod patches. Copy the old modded IL-2 to the new installation and overwrite all. Your newer missions should be preserved and maybe old ones restored! Test both old and new missions, as well as other modding issues.

Important: For any possibility of restoring old missions and other issues, you must make a copy of the old modded IL-2 and copy from it to the new fully patched modded IL-2 location - the only way to do it in these circumstances. Doing this will transfer previous modding changes to the new modded fully patched IL-2. The new installation which receives the old one must be exactly the same to have the possibility of restoring all previous modding changes such as missions.

These are your only options to the best of my knowledge which I have done successfully in the past. Let us know how it goes, please, and how you fixed it after you do.

Clinton

Impressive, Thanks for a detailed thorough explanation and guide. If only customer service in the real world was AS GOOD AS YOURS. I will give it a try. So far I have been attempting to overwrite and reinstall in the original folder up to 4.09. The only problem so far is some of the file would not extract with out a error message so I extracted them in a separate folder and manually dragged them into the main IL 2 folder, the paint schemes went in fine. I will check on my kids PC to see the exact location of other files. ( I have IL2 1946 on their PC too It is running fine except the PC is out dated a little)
Thanks again

I patched up yo 4.10 and then 4.10.1. The game start up screen only shows version 4.09 I rebooted the PC still no change. only 4.09 shows on the stat up screen. The good news is that after reinstalling 4.08M (with the UBI fix) I now have a uninstall app or shortcut that shows in the control panel remove uninstall programs and for my REVO uninstaller. Should I now just try and uninstall using the uninstall and then manually delete any thing left over? I have backed up mission files paint schemes music etc . Then just start over up to 4.11.0?

Yes: I see that uninstalling the old and starting a fresh install is all that you can do.

Clinton

I used the uninstall program with REVO uninstaller . Seemed to go fine, then manually deleted all leftover files . Then reinstalled digital version of IL2 1946. It opened up loaded and played. Then installed the UBI fix. tried it again. It worked, then ran into a brick wall when I tried to upgrade up to 4.09. partially loads, even shows the version as 4.09 on the start up screen then shuts off wont load, rebooted the PC still no luck. even tried RUN as administrator still no luck. I may just ininstall and start over Sad

OK I figured out that I forgot , yes forgot to instal 4.08M I let the "wagon get in front of the horses" So far its working up to 4.10.1. now gonna try 4.11 then load all my old skins missions settings etc

So fr patched up to 4.11.0 With Ultra Pack 3 seems to be working with mods that I backed up from old install. Only problem is ll my Zero skins I saved are ll distorted or disoriented on the plane except for the default.

Okay,

Now you need to be sure that all you need are the Zero skins. Look at all the other skins if you have not yet done it.

After that the best you could do is get help from the author of those skins because it could be a compatibility issue. Make sure that you fully update UP 3.

Clinton

UP is only good for 4.10.1.

After that there is no support and advised not to install in a 4.11.1 game.

There you go: Compatibility issue again.

Thanks, Skyomish Smile

Clinton

OK thanks. I have been checking out the other post on the subject from the SAS site. I was directed there from the ULTRA PACK site. I found out there is a new3D model for the Zero. Can I just uninstall the 4.11.0 patch or do I have to uninstall it all, :?: and then patch up to 4.10.1. The game with all the mods and patches and addons is so Dynamic,there are many choices. I went with ultra pack 3 this time again only because I had the 1st one installed. I am wondering if this was the best choice. Anyhow since I still have the RAR files if I have to start again I will . If I can just uninstall 4.11 and 4.11.1 that would be a easier step may not be possible . Please let me know.
Thanks

One question.
Do you play on-line??

If the answer is yes then you may want HSFX as that is what most use today on-line.
Most on-line players use 4.11.1
If you are an off-line player then UP will be fine.
UP is no longer supported for anything other than 4.10.1.