The New Space Race

Hello,

Everybody knows about the space race between the U.S.S.R and the U.S.A, which peaked with the successful Apollo 11 mission to land men on the moon by the USA. After that, Moscow continued to attempt for the USSR to regain the lead in the race well into the 1980s.

Enter the Digital Age when rising nations in The Far East push for technological advances by space programs of their own, such as Japan and China.

Now India has thrown itself into the latest space race with an ambitious plan of its own:
http://news.yahoo.com/countdown-mars-in ... 18771.html

Clinton

Hi Clinton,

Interesting, in my opinion today, it isn't more about space supremacy (I mean to show the world that you are the first on the moon...), but to increase new businesses : satelites, new ways of travel, new technologies..

Today countries need new tools to improve their economy (ie, you need satelites for smartphones, with a good cover you can call everywhere and as a consequence do business). That is why we see more and more countries going to space.

Thanks for sharing, Clinton ;o)

Ted

I agree with you. The aim of the space race is different, however, keep in mind that some of those nations also have the goal of creating much more effective nuclear ballistic missiles. Confusedhock: Perhaps some have a secret agenda to enable them to weaponize space or profit from exporting such technology in the future.

India still wants to impress the world however. Admittedly that translates into new business and diplomatic possibilities, but India is moving toward superpower status and wants the world to know how well it's doing. That's not a criticism - any nation would do that if they could afford to.

Hei!
I'm also engaged on this new Space Race...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIz8kytBLs
:mrgreen:

That was an interesting video, Oscarito.

The exploding rockets reminded me of the Russian space program in the 1960s. :roll:

:lol:

Clinton

I've made this vid to troll on my mates (that's why it's in Portuguese...). We are involved in a space race between us. I was the first to get a a practical design able to reach an stable orbit. Now I'm trying to develop a service module capable to reach Mun (Moon) using basically the same vector with some improved solid fuel rockets attached to first stage!

That's so cool, guy. It looks like you are having a lot of fun. Maybe on the next one you will post some screenshots or video in that forum here at AAS? Big Grin

Clinton

Fireskull Wrote:It looks like you are having a lot of fun.
Indeed! I've bumped into this game one year ago and I've got hooked. Certainly it is among the most creative games I've ever seen. The goal is not shot anybody but get achievements. Developers succeeded on creating a game that combines physics, sense of humour, good music and much fun.
Player performs many roles: program manager, scientist, engineer, chief designer and of course...astronaut
You begin with a limited budget. Then you must buy components made by several "companies" available on market such as propulsors, fuel tanks, strutural parts, aerodymic elements, avionics, utilities, etc.
So, you begin to work. Projecting, designing, assembling parts, testing and eventually going to space, or not...
It's really a pleasure learning how to calculate mass, trust, center of lift, amount of fuel & oxygen, number of stages, time of burning, how to plan an orbit, the mission itself, etc with a relaxing music.
The non competitive nature of this game means that there are no intrigues of any kind in the comunity, even with about one thousand members online average full time... :roll:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: characters (Kerbal guys) can be disabled, but I've got used to them! Big Grin

I see India's coping with the lessons of getting vehicles to Mars - they've had an orbital wobble or something but the vessel is back on track.

Hi,

A successful Chinese Moon Roover:
http://news.yahoo.com/china-39-moon-rov ... 14196.html

I wonder if they have the motivation to weaponize space some day.

Clinton

[Image: asian-star-wars-luke-skywalker-darth-vad...hinese.jpg]

That's to funny Serpiko :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deutschmark

Smile

From The European Space Agency...

Europe's new billion dollar telescope:
http://news.yahoo.com/billion-dollar-39 ... 15712.html

Clinton