The X-55 Rhino and the X-65F a quick comparison...

At first I decided to write this in German, so my brain is cool and uses less power, than I thought about all you guys and my brain is on full alert and running hot. ;-)

(@ Deutschmark, we don't have a place here to talk about hardware? Do we?)

Fate or whatever you'd like to call it brought me a Saitek X-55 Rhino.
For many years now I do own a Saitek X-65F Joystick, so I thought I might be able to tell you the differences?

An interesting fact maybe, on the German Internet page from Saitek you still won't find the X-55 Rhino.
And on the English Internet page you won't find the X-65F anymore....

I remember receiving the X-65F, really heavy packing, black foam inside.
For real heavy duty, my first thoughts ran through my brain.

[Image: x65_1.jpg]

When I received the X-55 Rhino it was packed in a cardboard, a carton. That is fine, at least it is harmless to the environment.

At first sight, the X-55 Rhino looks quite impressive:

[Image: x55_1.jpg]

A big Joystick stand/plate and a big Throttle stand/plate, both made out of plastic.

The stand/plates of the X-65F is made out of metal with an additional steel footing to put under the joystick or the throttle to fix it on a table or similar.

The handle of the joystick of the X-65F is made out of steel, feeling cold, real and dangerous, just business.

[Image: x65_3.jpg]

Even one of the three coolie hats feels like steel. All of the coolie hats are 8-ways, even the one at your thumb.

And as you might know – the X-65F is a force sensing stick, not moving a nm (nanometre/nanometer).
It took me quite a while to get used to it, to be honest and with quite a bit of pain in my wrist.
Nowadays I don't look nor think about moving the stick...
I'm concentrating at the monitor and on the plane and I fly, the plane responding with the lightest pressure from my hand.
And of course you can adjust this force the way you like and save 4 preferences. It works very well, though!

The X-55 Rhino comes with 4 or better 3 additional springs, whereas the green one already is installed, ready to go.

[Image: x55_2.jpg]

The joystick of the Rhino is totally made out of plastic.
The coolie hat at your thump is not movable anymore just to push as a button.
The other three coolie hats are 4-ways now.
That grip, the feeling when you touch the stick – is different.
Plastic feels warm and soft.... :roll: :mrgreen:

The feeling and the possibility to move the stick again, mh, is quite good.
I have to admit – I missed that.
It's just more normal – at least somehow in your brain.
Might because you always had had a movable stick, I don't know. Smile
When I'm yawing the stick to left and right – the spring cracks a bit.

The hole X-55 joystick is lighter than the X-65F so despite the weight I need now a plain ground, 'cause the X-55 comes with soft rubber tootsies.

Ah, before I forget, the X-65F is connect with one connection cabel from joystick to throttle than with one USB cable to your computer.
With the X-55 the joystick and the throttle are connected separate and individual with one USB cable each to your computer.
And the software is different as well. So you just can't use any old profile no more... Cry

Throttel:

Despite the fact, that again the X-65F is made out of steel, cold.... :twisted:
the X-55 Rhino throttle is made out of plastic, except the switches there.

[Image: x65_5.jpg]

[Image: x55_3.jpg]

An the left throttle you may see this silver rotary? The X-65 is metal, the X-55 is plastic.
At the back of the right throttle you've got two 8-ways coolie hats on the X-65 and just 2 buttons on the X-55.
The two rotaries on top and at the buttom of the right throttle: again – is metal on the X-65 and plastic on the X-55.

The panel at the back of the throttle of the X-65F is now completely gone.
You could connect other instrument panels from Saitek or using the additional buttons for programming..
I'd liked particularly the big red one especially for bailing out. :lol:

Another difference between the X-55 Rhino and the X-65F is the possibility to program them if you wish.
With the X-65F you have 4 Modes and over 600 possibilities to program your HOTAS.
The X-55 Rhino just got 3 Modes left.

If you ever need them, you ask? Maybe not. And who can remember 600 controls, buttons and switches anyway? :o
Try maybe the A-10C Real in DCS.

So anyhow, the stand/plate of the X-55 looks quite cool, every button and switch shining in a green light...

If I personally would have the choice or saying:

I'd like the X-65F Stick back as a movable stick, like the X-55, the material nevertheless solid steel!
I do like the throttle stand/plate of the X-55 and the rest from the X-65F again!

Don't ask, I tried using the one with the other to no avail.
Maybe a good technician or engineer could find a way? Would be really great!

They're both very accurate, precise and usable.

Last but not least – it is the question you have to ask yourself, if you're willing to pay a lot of money for a toy.

I'm still a kid..... and for once I am very lucky. 8)

You may have a look here as well:

X-55 Rhino Review at SimHq

Ken "531 Ghost" King wrote a most brilliant review.

Hi,

It would be nice and convenient to have a forum for only accessories / peripheral devices. Smile The term "hardware" in English generally includes all physical equipment for computers and their operation, so a computer and the mouse are both considered "hardware". :wink:

I would probably prefer the steel joystick. I like the idea of plugging the throttle and the joystick separately into the computer so each is totally independent. This could make diagnosing problems easier and allow me to use a different throttle or joystick.

Of course, the software would be unique to each of these two models. Profile saving will be an issue because of that.

Thank you, for the review, Jambo.

Clinton

Hi Clinton,

thank you for your advice! Really appreciate this! Big Grin

Had a few problems with my rig the last few days.
The things with the two USB pieces, the stick and throttle,
is to get them working, like in IL-2. Somehow it seems not so easy.
Ok, had had just a couple of hours trying that - but still strange things happen..
Maybe the software of the X-55 is just to new? I'm not sure.

Still a lot of things to discover. And that is an adventure.

Wish you a very nice day!

Jambo :wink:

Jambo,

I can relate to your excitement, because I remember how it felt for me to have new equipment for sims and gaming. Big Grin

When you discover what was causing the problem and the fix, then please let me know. Smile

Clinton