CK's Southern France Map WIP

One thing I can tell you when making houses or anything you will put on a map, make your bottoms a little deeper then they should be so you will have room to put them into the uneven ground, here is a good free texture site; http://www.cgtextures.com/
Also don't forget we have a lot of WW1 stuff for maps here;
viewtopic.php?f=200&t=34404
And here by Fireskull;
viewforum.php?f=200
Just drop them into your common folder for placement on the map then put them into the map it self for a full self contained map for download.

Deutschmark

Thanks DM for the links.
Textures are looking great as well as other objects.

I have learned a lot today. Best thing is that you can make group of objects for excample village and then save it as "Relative File". Then i can copy that village to another Place.
It saves a lot of time.
And i can make many templates By naming "rel_misc_objects.txt" file to something else like "rel_misc_objects_village.txt"
And i also learned that i must make backups.....Which i tend to forget..

Kap

Great to hear Kap Big Grin
Here is a little something for map makers that I just uploaded this day.
viewtopic.php?f=200&t=34678&start=0

Deutschmark

I have been modelling new houses and stuff. They are really lowpoly, about 20-40 polylines each plus textures. Some of them are ready, some not:
[Image: bighouse1.jpg]
[Image: French_house2.jpg]
[Image: French_house3.jpg]
[Image: French_house1.jpg]
[Image: shack.jpg]
[Image: french2.jpg]

they are meant to see from air... Hope ya like...They look quite nice on the scenery when you fly at low level. No dmage models. Just objects to fill map.
Kap

Deutschmark Wrote:Great to hear Kap Big Grin
Here is a little something for map makers that I just uploaded this day.
viewtopic.php?f=200&t=34678&start=0

Deutschmark
this is a handy tool!
kap

WOW! I like them Kap I like them very much! Big Grin
Great work!!!

Deutschmark

Deutschmark Wrote:WOW! I like them Kap I like them very much! Big Grin
Great work!!!

Deutschmark
I'm just learning how to model. First i did make details with modelling things. Houses are easy to make.
I tested them and made a huge city and it did run smoothly on my old rig, wich i bought at least 3 years ago.
I did get about 50-60 fps over even oververy populated ares. Plus CK did load objects fast.

I will next make bigger houses for cities.
Kap

Two things Kap.

1, don't forget to encode your X files to XX files before you put them out.
2, do you think you can make a object pack of any new ground objects you make for other CK map makers as well?

Also here is something else you might want to do, lest say the 3D model and texture of one of your house's is named ( bob ) so you have a ( bob.x and a bob.jpg ) take the same model and rename it to ( bobA.x and bobA.jpg ) you will need to export it out of your 3d program this way, so then you can have two of the same house painted different.

You also know you can make the house's windows light up at night?
( *_n.x/xx - Mesh object file remains lit at night.)
Just look inside the common folder in the game they are there as open X files to see how its done.

Deutschmark

I will post all my objects as a pack as soon i can.
Need to learn how to compress x. files to xx.

I quess xx. files can have more options than original direct_x- Like Deutchmark wrote.
I'm wondering if we could make another folder inside sceneryfolder for objects and textures?

I haven't tried, but it would help a lot.
Now i have everything in my Southern_France root. it is a mess. I have many test objects which i haven't remove and now it is really hard to find all the unnecessary things.
Plus if there will be heaps of maps, file structure is hard to handle if you want to unnstall unwanted maps.
of course i can make backups, but...

I have looked other scenerys and they don't have subfolders either.
Kap

kapteeni Wrote:I will post all my objects as a pack as soon i can.

Great! Big Grin

kapteeni Wrote:Need to learn how to compress x. files to xx.

Go in the tools folder in your game the model encoder is there just click on it and direct it to the folder with the X fils models you wish to encode then when done go to that folder and remove the X file model and levee just the XX files.

kapteeni Wrote:I quess xx. files can have more options than original direct_x- Like Deutchmark wrote.

No it don't have more options, it just makes it so no one can take your 3D and port it over to other games.

kapteeni Wrote:I'm wondering if we could make another folder inside sceneryfolder for objects and textures?

I don't see why not you would also need to put the objects tex file in with it and the folder would need to be named like a update folder would be, like I told you in another post in this thread.

Deutschmark

Deutschmark Wrote:
kapteeni Wrote:I will post all my objects as a pack as soon i can.

Great! Big Grin

kapteeni Wrote:Need to learn how to compress x. files to xx.

Go in the tools folder in your game the model encoder is there just click on it and direct it to the folder with the X fils models you wish to encode then when done go to that folder and remove the X file model and levee just the XX files.

kapteeni Wrote:I quess xx. files can have more options than original direct_x- Like Deutchmark wrote.

No it don't have more options, it just makes it so no one can take your 3D and port it over to other games.

kapteeni Wrote:I'm wondering if we could make another folder inside sceneryfolder for objects and textures?

I don't see why not you would also need to put the objects tex file in with it and the folder would need to be named like a update folder would be, like I told you in another post in this thread.

Deutschmark
Oh. I tried to make subfolders, but i forgot to add objects.txt file :oops:
Compressing is easy.
Will try that folder thing tonight.
When i'm done testing i will compress all my objects to xx.

Thank you again DM!
Kap
Now i will turn music and make some models. I will post new screenshots soon...
Kap

I said this to you in a PM so I will put it here as well;

I just went and looked this up for you its the how to add a sub-folder to a map folder:

•Sub Directories inside scenery can be used to add objects automatically.
•Any sub directory inside a scenery with "_" in its name and objects.txt is loaded with the scenery.
•This allows for scenery updates and add-ons for large scenery by simply adding new directories inside it.

Deutschmark

Deutschmark Wrote:I said this to you in a PM so I will put it here as well;

I just went and looked this up for you its the how to add a sub-folder to a map folder:

•Sub Directories inside scenery can be used to add objects automatically.
•Any sub directory inside a scenery with "_" in its name and objects.txt is loaded with the scenery.
•This allows for scenery updates and add-ons for large scenery by simply adding new directories inside it.

Deutschmark
I tried to create a new folder inside Battlearea Folfer (working tittle for my scenery). i did name it "_objects" (without quotes of course), plus i added the copied object.txt in to that folder. I can't see that folder or any objects that it have when i try to design objects in CK mapmakers.exe.
What i', doing wrong? this is my filestructure:

:\games\Canvas_Knights\scenery\Battlearea\_objects

"_objects" have houses and stuff in x. format , textures plus empty copied objects.txt...
Kap

Hi Kap,

1, not to copy the objects.txt, the one in the sub folder needs to be one on its own and not a copy from the map mane directory.
2, to be able to see the objects for placement they and any need to start out in the common folder first for placement on any map, then added to the map folder later for a full self contained map for download, so if you are doing lest say 3 houses and you want them to go into a sub folder in a map, first put them in the common folder place them on the map and make a objects.txt just for them, then make a sub folder in the map put the objects.txt in it and the 3D and textures of them 3 houses and they will get generated automatically when the map loads.

Deutschmark

Deutschmark Wrote:Hi Kap,

1, not to copy the objects.txt, the one in the sub folder needs to be one on its own and not a copy from the map mane directory.
2, to be able to see the objects for placement they and any need to start out in the common folder first for placement on any map, then added to the map folder later for a full self contained map for download, so if you are doing lest say 3 houses and you want them to go into a sub folder in a map, first put them in the common folder place them on the map and make a objects.txt just for them, then make a sub folder in the map put the objects.txt in it and the 3D and textures of them 3 houses and they will get generated automatically when the map loads.

Deutschmark
I was thinking about that method too.
Will try it soon.
Now i'm off to work and will be at real life for couple of days.
I work as a cheff in part time, but actually i have done it full time. My plan was to work only about 20-30 hours/week and spend some quality time... lol
Anyways, soon i have 6 days off duty, so i can modify my scenery.
Little update:
My final map will have Paris (it is not as big it was in real) and parts of sc. Hindenburg line. I have done about 10 differnt houses already and i need to make cityblocks for Paris. I di some tests and it is fairly simple to create them and they look good when flying over.
Plus they are so simple that framerate will be good for older machines too, i hope.
Kap