Map question and a problem..

My Thailand map is progressing slowly......if I want to lay down forests (jungle) over most of the high ground on the map, and much of the uncultivated area too...what is the best way to do it?

I tried with Gimp to select the colour of RGB 35 and used a large soft edge brush to paint an area...but it left a real mix-up of stuff with only a bit of woods at the edges...should it be normal or addition of the colour and is it best to spray it on like an airbrush?

The other problem is with the Japan/Okinawa map......it CTD if I try to open it in Tools FMB....and also CTD if i try to load into normal FMB with perfect setting using OpenGL...but not excellent with DirX...

CTD with a memory problem...same as I used to get with screenshots during a heavy mission

I don't know all the details of your map but I would think you may be able to select all the cultivated area then add select other areas where you do not want forest, such as town textures. Keep adding until you have all the areas you don't want.

Then inverse the selection to get the areas you do want.

Do not use air brush because you will have varied RGB values laid down. The values need to be precise. Use Pencil with no anti aliasing.

Once you have painted your forests you can then select forest areas and pencil in some clearing areas to break up the forest block a bit.

In most areas of the world the tree line height varies depending on whether you are on the north or south side of a mountain range. Keep this in mind.

How I did it in my NZWIP, was basically a blanket paint of the generic texture for the area. For example, central otago was blanket painted in the Highland texture. then, went in game, to the area's I want to have different texture. Select the tile in-game, of basically doing a rough out line of the approximate area, of say farmland or forrest. Then go back to GIMP and paint the area, and then pop back ingame, tidy, and populate.

Probably a much easier way out there, but its worked so far.

fabianfred Wrote:I tried with Gimp to select the colour of RGB 35 and used a large soft edge brush to paint an area...but it left a real mix-up of stuff with only a bit of woods at the edges...should it be normal or addition of the colour and is it best to spray it on like an airbrush?

You cannot use soft edges or airbrush when painting map_T, because it is just not a "paint" but a color-coded map.

So only sharp-edge tools (pencil etc). The game engine will "soften" a bit the edge of the forest

Forest is just a range of pixel values (24 to 27) not an addition of colour.

Maraz

Thanks for your advice guys....I still have soooo much to learn about these maps...but there is fun amongst the frustration Big Grin