Compans textures and trees on Europe Northwest??

Anyone tried to adapt Compans textures and trees to the Europe NorthWest map? Is a cool map and will be cooler with those nice textures

I have, and it doesn't look that good, simply because NWEurope is a pretty old map using an old build that doesn't really mix textures together. As a result, the same texture will be used for as far as the eye can see, which looks pretty repetitive. Maybe I missed something, I'll give it another try and see what I can come up with.
Same problem on the Berlin map, albeit with less repetition...

Edit : I checked again, and the landscape uses only TWO different textures, each covering large blocks of the ground surface, plus another texture for rivers' shores....

Cheers

Nico

I'm not that up on the technicalities but textures can be 'painted' in. This is how the 2 Channel maps are being done.

S! Comp

none of the stock maps uses all available texture slots :roll:

its easy to add new textures, just extract the type map, map_T.tga
and download the Photoshop swatches here:
(The link is inoperative)

*edit, two friendly advices:
- keep things in grayscale, dont swithch mode to RGB!
- use a 'levels' adjustment layer to make things visible!

Well, in this case... Big Grin

I didn't know textures could be edited on existing maps. Now I have something else to mess around with, cheers Istvan !

Cheers

Nico

Actually, this is waaaayyyy beyond my abilities. Heck, I can't even add so much as ONE pixel to a .tga file without causing a load error. Funny stuff by the way...

Anyhoo, it would be nice if someone who knows how it should be done could add some more variety to the ETO maps so to avoid the repetitivity that becomes obvious when using Compan's textures.
Normandy should be on the list too. The map uses all 4 lowland slots, but laid out in a 'checkerboard' pattern, so no matter how you alternate the .tgas, you still get the nasty 'lines' created by the repeating fields pattern.

BTW, this is meant as positive, constructive criticism. I have nothing but praise to sing about the new Default Maps and the Channelfront textures.

Cheers

Nico

PorcoRosso Wrote:Actually, this is waaaayyyy beyond my abilities. Heck, I can't even add so much as ONE pixel to a .tga file without causing a load error. Funny stuff by the way...

Anyhoo, it would be nice if someone who knows how it should be done could add some more variety to the ETO maps so to avoid the repetitivity that becomes obvious when using Compan's textures.
Normandy should be on the list too. The map uses all 4 lowland slots, but laid out in a 'checkerboard' pattern, so no matter how you alternate the .tgas, you still get the nasty 'lines' created by the repeating fields pattern.

BTW, this is meant as positive, constructive criticism. I have nothing but praise to sing about the new Default Maps and the Channelfront textures.

Cheers

Nico

Nico, i too had the same problems with the game tga files, theres something different somewhere about them, hence why you need the tga converter for some textures.

However, what i found to get my treelines working was to use a file that i knew worked already, and then fill that file to black, and save it as a base file, onto which you then paste and anchor the file that you want to alter/create, and then save. For some reason it then accepts this, why, i don't know????

fruitbat

tga converter uh ? I should've thought about that Big Grin

I haven't really messed with tree files yet, I just made quick edits of some fields textures to replace some of the most notable 'white' areas with more neutral colours and textures sampled from the same .tga file, but the slightest modification made the entire file unusable...

Cheers

Nico