Hawaii-3rd try

There were two improved hawaii maps in development. But since several months i did not hear anything about finishing of a new hawaii map. So i decided to create a map by myself. The question is: Is besides my someone other interested in a new hawaii map?

Why Hawaii?

1) several different islands to discover
2) oahu was strong fortified, interesting to build
3) populated islands
4) lots of materials in the web to use
5) islands are not too far away from each other
6) hawaii can be the starting point for many different campaigns (day of infamy, wake island, coral sea, midway, guadalcanal ...)
7) simply because pearl harbor is so impressive

First I want to show some pics of my first attempts:

Attack on the Battleship row

[Image: 1402200917-34-45.jpg]

Heading towards Ford Island

[Image: 1402200917-30-43.jpg]

Ford Island from the NW

[Image: 1402200917-36-25.jpg]

Close up view Ford Island

[Image: 1402200917-43-00.jpg]

Vals attacking battleships

[Image: 1402200917-50-51.jpg]

And they do not miss

[Image: 1402200917-59-06.jpg]

Looks good to me. Your third picture, though, is labeled "Ford Island from the Northwest". I believe it is actually a view from the Southeast.

Looks awesome! A pity we haven't any early war american battleship in the game.

Thanks for your opinion, here are more pictures, which show, that this first attempt is not good enough compared with other maps ...

But take a look yourself:

Hickham Field

[Image: 1502200912-00-28.jpg]

Hickham Field from South looking North

[Image: 1502200912-02-31.jpg]

Hickham full

[Image: 1502200912-05-21.jpg]

The Airfield is not authentic, you cant recognize it as hickham

More problems to solve with the Navy Yard:

[Image: 1502200912-06-13.jpg]

The way I designed the Docks here is not satisfying

Even worser with the other oahu airfields:

Wheeler AFB with schofield barracks in front

[Image: 1502200911-56-26-1.jpg]

alarm start at dillingham afb, norht of oahu

[Image: 1502200913-02-56.jpg]

[Image: 1502200913-06-12.jpg]

PBN Catalina Base at kaneohe

[Image: 1502200913-12-41.jpg]

Ewa Marine Base

[Image: 1502200913-30-03.jpg]

I am currently playing about with a Hawaii map; I started it to learn some of the techniques needed for other maps that I'd like to make.
I've started completely from scratch and am going to add some of the other islands as well. However, I don't expect to have anything near finished for a long time (real life keeps intruding) so I can't offer to help you or promise that I'll ever get my map out, so keep on with yours. It'll be much better than the one that shipped with the game however it turns out!

:cheers:

Be nice to see it done correctly. For example: the large control tower on Ford Island.

I don't know anything about how it is done, but Canon's Channel map (and somebody else??) has unique airfields, airfield layouts, runway(s) and taxiways modelled after real life airfields/photos, etc. perhaps you could discover how they do that and then could make more true-to-life airfields rather than being limited to the generic single runway/parallel taxiway fields of IL2.
Meanwhile your work thus far is a definite improvement to the Hawaii map, and will be appreciated.

Doolittle81 Wrote:I don't know anything about how it is done, but Canon's Channel map (and somebody else??) has unique airfields, airfield layouts, runway(s) and taxiways modelled after real life airfields/photos, etc. perhaps you could discover how they do that and then could make more true-to-life airfields rather than being limited to the generic single runway/parallel taxiway fields of IL2.

That's what I'm making, but as I said, don't hold your breath!

:cheers:

Hi duffys tavern,

i agree the ford island control tower is an important landmark of oahu. But do not expect to see something like this:

[Image: FordIsland_HI_tower1.jpg]

Because of two reasons:

1) my skills in 3d modeling are primitive
2) this picture represents the control tower after completion in 1942. During the raid only the platform was completed. The initial color of the control tower was not red and white, it was dark
3) i know, everybody has the pearl harbor films in mind, but that scenes are not historical accurate

In old pictures you can guess what the how the tower looked alike:

[Image: P10101371.jpg]

right of the center is a dark grey control tower, very small indeed; structure in red and white in front is the watertower

[Image: ph103.jpg]

photo taken late in year 1941, tower is still under construction

greetings

Nice pictures indeed. Didn't know about the 1941 tower, thanx for the info.

narvik Wrote:Looks awesome! A pity we haven't any early war american battleship in the game.
Sure you do:
[Image: OklahomaFake.jpg]
:wink: :wink:

O.k.,

I tried several color and building combinations for the control tower of ford island and i got the best results with the red and white striped control tower. As i said before, it is not historical, but it fits better to the scene.

So if someone wants to complain about this: Thats your chance now!

Greetings

No complaints.