Making roads, etc in FMB?

I tried doing this earlier tonight and, err...... it's obviously going to be a long process of trial and error before I get it right.

Is there a way of deleting individual stretches of road? So far, I have just found the "remove roads" command in the dialogue box.

I dont have the game open at the moment so this may not be 100%

In FMB Map Editor go to the objects menu/roads

The drop down menu gives you the option for rail, country, highway

Select highway -- then with the cursor over a section of road on the map hit delete.
Removes one section at a time.

Is that what you wanted?

You can also do it in by editing the map_T.tga directly, but this becomes complicated if the road goes over lots of different land textures because the rgb value keeps changing.

mandrill7 Wrote:I tried doing this earlier tonight and, err...... it's obviously going to be a long process of trial and error before I get it right.

Is there a way of deleting individual stretches of road? So far, I have just found the "remove roads" command in the dialogue box.

The only way I know of is to select road in the object list and hit the delete key holding the cursor over the road. That will remove the road one 200 m section at a time.

Otherwise - draw your roads as an additive layer on map_T in your graphics program. You may find it easier to edit them there rather than in game. What I did for Crete was this:

Open map_T, and then ed_m02 as a layer underneath. Reduced the opacity of the map_T layer to where I could see the outlines of ed_m02 underneath. This is just so you can see where you are. Add a third transparent layer on top, and draw the roads on that - rgb 32, 64, 128 for road, rail, highway respectively. Make sure the road network on this top layer is no more than one pixel wide. Save this three layer image as a working image- then delete the ed_m02 layer, reset the map_t layer opacity back to 100%, set the top layer with roads as additive (this will add the rgb values of the two layers together) flatten and save as map_T. Open in the game and see how it looks - if you don't like it you can either edit it there if small adjustments, or go back to the working image for larger adjustments.

It's tedious, I know! - viking

Okay, thanks. I got it.

I didn't know the trick with the delete key.

What I'm doing so far is to draw a 3 pixel "corridor" of my basic "flat, smooth grassland" tile, which is RGB20 in my load.ini. Then I draw in the 1 pixel road/ railway on top of that. I can clean up and put in other landscape elements later.

Cheers!

Another question:

Do all roads and railways have to have their own, separate paths? Or can you make roads meet and have intersections?

They can meet - cross over each other lie on top of one another etc. One thing i found is it is hard to get one road to meet another at a 90 degree angle without a cut off diagonal also appearing. - viking

Using highways they will only meet properly at 90deg if you have them aligned on the diagonal.

An alternative is to make one of the roads a country road, then you don't have the problem of the game engine creating corner cuts.

If I make a road in the woods and it appears in the FMB that the trees block the road, will vehicles still travel the road??

Or will they crash into the trees? Or refuse to proceed?

In several maps I've seen trees blocking the road. It happens quite often in the mountainous areas of the Slovakia map but it doesn't effect vehicles. They go right through them not just tanks but even bikes. No problem with many trees or a single tree on the road.

Some old screenies:

[Image: 005-1.jpg]

[Image: 006.jpg]

[Image: 007.jpg]

Hmmm, I might run my roads more into the forests then. So far, I've been conscientiously clearing little pathways for all my roads each time they hit wooded terrain.