zip_Alpen_beta + update available!

Hi ZipZap- I was curious how the new texture would look so I gave it a whirl.

I'd have to say that the Country textures don't work well for this map, from what I had seen. I took off from near Milan and proceeded NNW toward one of the Alpine lakes.

It was my experience that Country side textures looked too rocky,
the lower mountains looked the best (see below)
http://www.triad773.com/2008/img/Mounta ... alps-1.jpg

But as I rose into the higher elevations, the texture took on a tiled look
http://www.triad773.com/2008/img/Mounta ... alps-3.jpg

I am experimenting still, and wisely saved a copy of the original load file as phasmid suggested.

My conclusion thus far is it certainly helps with one region's textures, but doesn't look right in countryside or highest areas. Still very helpful tho IMHO.

The new textures seem to be more universally suited to the Net Mountains map.

I am grateful for all of it 8)

You guys rock :!: (No pun intended)

I would try this

Set everything back to Zips textures. Then select one of my capped textures because it is easy to spot. Change one line, say Mount0, then fly it and see what areas are changed. Hopefully not the entire mntn range was made with just Mount0. It should have a mix of the 3 or 4 Mount lines and 1 or 2 Country lines. That is determined by the map maker. Try and keep a rough track on what areas get changed. Go back to your Load file change Mount0 back to Zips texture and change Mount1 to my capped texture. Fly again and see what changed. Continue this with the rest of the Mount lines and Country lines. Figure out what makes the majority of the landscape. If it is mostly Mount1, Mount3 and Country1 then mix up fsmd_mount1 and 2 with those. Try different mixes until you get the most random looking. Even I get repeated patterns in the online4summer and Slovakia maps if I dont have the right combo. Its hit and miss doing this and it takes a while. Thats why I included my load lines in the instruction file for people to paste and save them time and see my work quickly after downloading.

Another thing is if there is a 3 or 4 at the end of the load line then repetition is high.
Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,4
At that setting, its not just one tile put in that area but 4 or more tiles crammed into that one space. The rocks are smaller but you may see repeats if not combined well with other areas. Try having 2 or 1 as below.
Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,2
I tried to minimize that by covering up the larger rocks and gaps in the actual photo when I edited this without loosing the rock face character of it.

BTW I would keep Zips snow caps and not use mine. I just like his better Big Grin

Ok fingers hurting. Sorry for long answer. Hope that helps. I havent figured this map out yet.

Thanks for the ideas phasmid. I went back and have only Mount0 and Mount3 your textures. If I am understanding the hierarchy correctly, that might be pretty close to what I am looking for. Will take a flight tomorrow to see result. Will take some snapshots of the results too.

I flew the Slovakia map hoping to check them out but that's a pretty big map, and my CO (wife Wink ) is grounding me for the evening :lol: So I will see if I can check out those tomorrow too.

The textures really add that feeling that you DON'T want to be flying into that heaving rock face Confusedhock:

Cheers

Triad

roger that.

I made some time for this map (wow, load time) and here is a combo that works for me. There is a bit of repeating pattern near Schio but the rest looks good to me. I would use the FMB to view changes on this huge map.

Mount2 = land/summer/fsmd_mount2.tga,2 //land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,2

Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount2.tga //land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,2

I would keep the snow caps Zip has. My caps dont cut it on this map.
Country0 = land/winter/snow3.tga

another Mount3 line I liked was this one. Could see more detail from a distance.
Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount2.tga,-2 //land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,2

You can blend textures in the same space by using these " //" between textures. It cuts down on the repeating patterns a lot.

This is a really nice map Zip. TYVM for sharing. I hope you dont mind us dabbling with it.

phasmid Wrote:You can blend textures in the same space by using these " //" between textures. It cuts down on the repeating patterns a lot.

Does that actually work then? I've just tried it and didn't have any luck. My understanding is that '//' tells the game to ignore that line.

Joe

It does seem to mix it up a bit.
Note
space slash slash after the "tga,2"
I think you might be missing the space.

Here are some screen shots with these settings:
Mount2 = land/summer/fsmd_mount2.tga,2 //land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,2
Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount2.tga,-2 //land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,2

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... -31-31.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... -53-98.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... -42-67.jpg

You can see I still have some repeats in that plateau shot near Schio because it is entirely Mount2. It is better though. I might experiment with some 1024x1024 tiles with smaller detail to fix that. I will get back to you on it in a few days.

Your textures seem to be very preeminent, may be, may be, they are best at steep slopes. I will test that, but 5 minutes before finishing the map i got a really serious problem. Don't know why and how to solve it, may be this will take some time.

phasmid Wrote:It does seem to mix it up a bit.
Note
space slash slash after the "tga,2"
I think you might be missing the space.

I've got it entered correctly. Have you tried it with two distinctly different textures, so you can see exactly where the texture has gone? And just modify one line of the load.ini

Joe

I think these new 1024x1024 tga's work much better. I have included a second tga with debris and trees for mountain base area. Very little repetition.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... gtile1.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp83 ... gtile2.jpg

try this with alpen map

Mount2 = land/summer/fsmd_mount3base.tga
Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount3.tga

download- Filefront
Phasmid_MountTex_LrgTile.zip

I will post at M4T after I get some feedback.

I have these in the Load.ini: all else is stock:

Mount0 = land/summer/fsmd_mount1.tga,4

Mount2 = land/summer/fsmd_mount3base.tga

Mount3 = land/summer/fsmd_mount3.tga

I concur in that I think the larger tiles really rid the map of any repetitiveness. I am generally pretty happy with it, except for one small area which maybe you can help me identify.

Here are some results:

[Image: aaalps-2.1-landtext.jpg]
I am certainly no geologist, but does this look OK? I live most of my life in the Great Plains- is this something occurring near foot hills?

[Image: aaalps-2.2-Mounttext.jpg]
I think this looks even better than it did before, although maybe it is the same from a different angle.

[Image: aaalps-2.3-Mounttext.jpg]
The tiling effect at higher altitudes seems to be gone 8) The larger texture seems to have done the trick Smile

[Image: aaalps-2.4-Mounttext.jpg]
Diving into a ravine where I might expect to see potential issues from the shear altitude changes, all looks fine!

[Image: aaalps-2.5-Mounttext.jpg]
This is the only anomaly I saw at high alt., and it is not a big issue, but only a slight distraction.

Sorry for multiple pix; if an issue I can just make them links. Was doing so demonstration purposes.

Thanks ZipZap for the great map, and also thanks phasmid for some really cool textures 8)

I love it :!:

Triad

Triad773 Wrote:.....Sorry for multiple pix; if an issue I can just make them links. Was doing so demonstration purposes....

Triad

No man, by all means, pour that stuff on... I am fairly sure not many people have 56k anymore... :wink:

And well, if they do, its less, WAY LESS, than 10% of the community...

So yes, bombard us with screens!!! I love WIP screens!!

And yes, you are doing a bang-up job, keeper up!!

TS

Hey ZipZap- is this beta going to be current for a while? Reason I ask is that I'd like to do an homage to this map and have it be at least semi-historical.

I've done some searches and found the list below a good enough starting point. I've got a few things going, but thought I could put together a couple of missions so myself and others could load this beautiful piece of work up and soak in some history that the geographic area would afford.

Operation Encore (Sept. 1944- April 1945)
http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/nap/72-34.htm
It took place in Winter, but I think we could still improvise Wink

Let me know when you can, and thanks again 8)

Triad

Well, i'm still in trouble with the final version, don't know if in can fix it. But i will try to post a Beta2 this weekend with

cleared roads
better cleared rivers
fixed big city zooming crash
reworked and populated Venice
some reworked airports
some fixed roads and rails, some smoothed river sections and
some changed textures

This would be very near to a final version (if i ever manage to get that working). Especially there will be no more major changes toh the starting /landing points and taxiways of existing airports. Missions will work for that also with a later version.

At your templates the rocky structures are still a little bit to cliffy to fill bigger areas with them, i think. So far they don't hamonize so well with other textures. I think stuctures should be a little bit smoother.

Cool ZipZap- will be looking forward to it Smile

Cheers

Triad