Making Google earth textures?

The grass (steppe) is the hardest thing to do I think...in comparison to the crop fields. :mrgreen:

I'm having trouble loading the textures into a game. I installed the tex's into the MODS\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex\land\summer folder. I then substituted 1 of my textures for a texture in an existing map. The map wouldn't load.

I checked that the tex was exactly 512 pixels and saved to RGB. It was. The tex was saved to 24-bit colour - and not 32-bit colour - as that was the highest value on my PSP7 application. Would that be the cause of the failure?

Everything right on the load.ini? Proper filename, including .tga?

canonuk Wrote:Everything right on the load.ini? Proper filename, including .tga?

Uhuh.

Mandrill, possible to upload it somewhere so that I can download it and test?

Did you save the TGA uncompressed? The default in PSP is compressed - see 'options' when you select 'save as'.

Yardstick Wrote:Did you save the TGA uncompressed? The default in PSP is compressed - see 'options' when you select 'save as'.

Will double-check. I also saved as a .jpeg initially and then converted to .tga later. Not sure if this would sabotage me as well.

Lowfighter, I can either of 2 things: 1. Put the .jpegs on Photobucket and post here for you to d/l and reconvert. Or 2. Email you the .tga's.

Yes it might be the compression thing. I use gimp and there's a similar problem: if you open a tga which works in game modify something and then click "save" it will automatically compress it and the saved one will not work in game. Allways have to "save as" and then uncheck the "RLE comression"...

Thanks. will re-do on the weekend. Appreciate the suggestions.

Yardstick and lowfighter, you are geniuses! (But of course, you already knew that, didn't you?!) The compression issue was the problem. When I saved a new set of .tga's "uncompressed", suddenly everything worked just fine.

I saved some google earth samples from around Tobruk and inserted them into the mod Libya map. Interesting........ the game bleached them out and the sand brown became coral yellow. The darker brown detail became pink-brown. It still resembled desert, but very bright, intense desert.

So now I need to darken and dull my .tga's a little to have them show their "real life" colours in the game. Has anyone tried doing this in PSP7?

I am experimenting with the Stalingrad map. This is an "autumn" shot with the month changed to October and the temperature set at 10 degrees. I am using a Google Earth shot of the grassland around Stalingrad as the tile.

The original Oleg textures are still present along the riverbanks. Unlike the Tobruk map experiment with desert tiles, the game did not change the colour of these .tga's noticeably.

[Image: stalingrat-fall01.jpg]

I think the colors look pretty natural, maybe you can get some more "variation"? By variation I mean what you see for example by "sk_lowland0" , very good in that respect ( but the "grass" colors look a bit weird to me..)