Stalingrad "october" map - WIP

I'm trying to do two autumn maps for Stalingrad using my own edited Compans textures for the grassland and Andrey-Rus's Autumn textures for forests, famland and towns. So far, I'm reasonably satisfied. The Stalingrad map needs a lot of remaking to be really interesting and this will take some time.

These are screenies from the work so far.

I have a couple of problems. Despite substituting an autumn tree texture for the old "altered bush" .tga, the village and town textures still have green summer treelines.

And I would also be interested in suggestions for replacing the village texture with something that looks more "autumn-y".

[Image: autumn04.jpg]
[Image: autumn3.jpg]
[Image: autumn02.jpg]
[Image: autumn01.jpg]

looks cool 8)

To be honest, I prefer to see your other Stalingrad textures, those are really great, very realistic:
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...sc&start=0.

But the October textures look like little islands in a green ocean. In my opinion Andrey-Rus's textures don't combine very well with Compan's textures which is clearly visible in the last two screenshots. Both textures are great but not their combination.

I had to edit down some of the detail in the Compans textures, as it was too "pattern-like" at high altitude. There's an unfortunate trade-off when you deal with an older map like Stalingrad which has limited texture variety. Eye candy at low altitude looks like a tablecloth at 2000 meters.

I thought that a green grassland/ autumn forest would be a natural combination for October. Even if the colours don't really blend together.

Do you have in towns and villages the treeline (just the object we can also place in FMB) or the nice "random trees". To have the nice random trees (summer, winter or Andrey's autumn) you must run the game under "perfect" settings and also have forest=3 in conf.ini...

lowfighter Wrote:Do you have in towns and villages the treeline (just the object we can also place in FMB) or the nice "random trees". To have the nice random trees (summer, winter or Andrey's autumn) you must run the game under "perfect" settings and also have forest=3 in conf.ini...

I checked and I think you ave discovered my problem. I thought I had set the game up for perfect mode, but the game defaulted me back to excellent mode and won't let me reset perfect.

My old video card is probably not up to the challenge.

Maybe try Handy's crimea textures for the towns. The would probably match those midland textures better than the default towns would.

Bee Wrote:Maybe try Handy's crimea textures for the towns. The would probably match those midland textures better than the default towns would.

Are these still available? The page at Filefront doesn't exist anymore and the entry doesn't come up in a site search either.

i can upload them someplace new if you want. im on my lunch break right now but when i get off work ill throw them up someplace.

Cheers, m8! thanks for the effort.