Trouble with trees

Hi guys i,m doing my first retexture of a map and have spent a lot of time reading and learning so as not to have to ask to many questions of you busy people, now however i need a bit of help with the random pop up trees. I would like to get rid of them! i understand that they are are generated in the load ini files by the lines

Trees0 = Trees/ AlteredBush9a.tga
TreeLightMask = Trees/LightM256.tga

If i delete one or both of these lines will that get rid of them or simply cause a load error? and if thats not the answer does any one know what is? any help much appreciated TIA

in your conf.ini file you can try to set Forest=2 or 1, that minimizes the randomness of trees.

Hi Ziggy,

It's been a while since I did any map modding so I could be wrong but I think the answer to your question is as follows.

Map_c doesn't just control water depth (from RGB 0 to about RGB 112 or so), but also random trees. Above a certain RGB level (I forget what it is) random trees will no longer appear.

If this doesn't explain it well, PM me.

Hopethis helps,

Cheers,

Tsb47

PS one way of finding out is to create a blank map with map_h a constant level over the entire map (e.g. RGB = 1) and map_t divided into equal areas of Lowland, Midland and Highland texture bands running East to West (e.g. 1/3 of the map each). Then, on map_c overlay this with a RGB spectrum from 0 - 255 also running East to West. Open this map in FMB and you should see autogen trees stop suddently somewhere as you scroll from East to West along the map in each of the texture bands.

PPS I think that the autogen trees only appear on some types of texture tiles i.e. Lowland, Midland and Highland. I don't think autogen trees will appear on the City, Airfield, Mount or Water tiles. You could test this theory using a similar method to that explained above.

PPPS I had planned on updating the map making guide, but unfortunately work / gf / friends etc have got in the way. I need to take a holiday and just concentrate on IL2!!!

PPPS If you runt he tests above could you please post the results here and in the community map making guide thread?

Thanks TSB47, i'm on the case now, will let you know