Bump Mapping for Ground Textures?

I recall seeing something in the past about bump mapping of ground textures using *.tgb files I think.
These would relate to the *.tga textures listed in the [FIELDS] section of the load.ini and introduce visual texture to the ground.

Useful for desert type stony landscapes or for irregular shell torn ground.

Am I imagining this? It might even have been on another game?

No. You are right.

Those are greyscale TGA files with the same filename like the textures, but ending with *.bumpH (rename the TGA).

Whats your question then?

check out Flushmeisters 'Bumpification' mod:
viewtopic.php?t=11609

This is in connection with the OOF project. I am providing some assistance to Easy with the mapping.
Some custom textures are being created for modelling of the front lines and I think bump mapping will be useful for modelling ground with high concentrations of shell holes and possibly with the visual appearance of trench lines when seen from altitude.

Thanks for the Flushmeister link. I will give it a read.

Which of the existing maps use the *.bumph files?

Has anyone got a sample set of normal *.tga ground textures and correponding *.bumph files?

I have added custom ground textures into

root/MODS/MAPMODS/maps/_Tex/land/summer

So am I right thinking I can make a simple bump map just by changing my texture to greyscale, changing it from *.tga to *.bumph and putting it in the same folder, or does it have to go somewhere else?

asheshouse Wrote:Which of the existing maps use the *.bumph files?

Almost all.

Quote:Has anyone got a sample set of normal *.tga ground textures and correponding *.bumph files?

This is one of our original Bessarabia texture. A full set, with TGA, TGB, BumpH and Tree-file:

http://depositfiles.com/files/w48imerpq

Sidenote:
There are a few textures around, that get claimed to be produced by others, but instead are basicly made by us or the Slovakia-Team. I wish, there was more care for correct credits here at AAA.

Quote:I have added custom ground textures into

root/MODS/MAPMODS/maps/_Tex/land/summer

So am I right thinking I can make a simple bump map just by changing my texture to greyscale, changing it from *.tga to *.bumph and putting it in the same folder, or does it have to go somewhere else?

Yes and no. Yes, they must be in the same folder. No, I don't think its as simple as just that. The BumpH has to be handled a bit different, i.e. if its too noisy, it produces pretty bad results. Its hard to explain, you'll see it when you test it. Generally with this file you tell the game the heights of the things painted on your initial texture. You should then paint it that way. Lower things/areas darker, higher thing/areas brighter. Don't do too much contrast between that and don't do pure white or black.

Another hint:
Textures, which are supported by bumpmaps, behave different to the ingame light than textures without bumpmaps.
If the sun stands high, they look brighter, if the sun stands low, they look darker than normal. You can say, bumpmaps make them more sensitive. Smile
So it would be good, when you do BumpMaps for most textures, if not ALL.

Here is another set:

http://depositfiles.com/files/n3n9tetmt

This time without TGB (I wanted to keep the map small) and without treefile (as I didn't want trees there).
You might notice the word 'fields' in the naming - the reason is following:

Generally on each map there are trees displayed randomly, if you run perfect mode. You can disable them by adding the word 'field' in the naming.
Also, if you want to use a special tree-file (XXXXXX.tree.tga), you NEED to disable the random placing in this way.

I had a Matrox G400 video card many years ago.. and they (I believe) started the Bump Mapping, but it never caught on as a standard. Everyone that made video cards went with T&L.
Confusedhock:

Thanks Casper. Great info.