Navigable Rivers - How Does it Work?

Quite often it is difficult to get ships to move in rivers or in coastal.

I remember however that aside from the trick of changing mis files by editing planes into ships, there was also a better method. It consisted of making a new map, I think it was essentially a map_t.tga, but scaled down or something and then renamed into yet another map.

But I apparently didn't save the text containing the explanation, nor does a search give any results.

Does anyone happen to know what the procedure was? It would really come in handy for some new maps in the making ...

ed_map_t.tga is the key.

I cant remember all the details of how it works, but essentially you define land as black.
There is one in the ash_Bof map which came with UI 1.1
I think Canonuk's map also uses them.

Ashe

That was part ofthe solution. Saved the text this time.

Many thanks for the advice. It will be put to good use.

Hello Agracier, I took a copy of map_t.tga opened up in Gimp and added my rivers layer from making the map_c and ed_m01 and 2 to this. I took a reading of the colour from the sea area of map_t and changed the colour of my rivers to this shade, then flattened and saved as ed_mapt.tga.

As you can see from these shots part of my river is usable, sadly only the very widest part, it would appear
the rivers need to be a particular width for this to work.

[Image: Alongtheriver1.jpg]

[Image: Alongtheriver2.jpg]

[Image: Alongtheriver3.jpg]

So it all appears to depend on whether you want your rivers to look like a sea :???:

Hope this helps, wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Mission_bug Wrote:Hello Agracier, I took a copy of map_t.tga opened up in Gimp and added my rivers layer from making the map_c and ed_m01 and 2 to this. I took a reading of the colour from the sea area of map_t and changed the colour of my rivers to this shade, then flattened and saved as ed_mapt.tga.

As you can see from these shots part of my river is usable, sadly only the very widest part, it would appear
the rivers need to be a particular width for this to work.

So it all appears to depend on whether you want your rivers to look like a sea :???:
Hope this helps, wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Thanks. I did something a bit similar, using map_t as base for the new ed_mapt, but I copied the rgb value of 28 (instead of 31) for the water layer, since this was the rgb value on ash France's map ... I also had to do some careful editing of the map_h to make sure that the river only contained rgb 0 and not anything like rgb 1 or 2 or 3 - which is virtually indistinguishable from 0. And I did indeed end up making the rivers quite a bit wider at certain points ...

I asked this for the new Archangelsk map (coming out very soon). The city is a bit inland and we had to make at least one river channel navigable. Finally ended up with 2 navigable river channels to Archangelsk ...

Thanks to all for the help with this.

Just tested Agraciers rivers and they work allright!