How to repaint TGAs?

Hello mates,

my friend would like to start repainting some map to RoF style, but he got into troubles right at the beginning. Could you give me advice how to avoid this problem?

The TGAs that have been already repainted have size of 1.00MB. He uses Gimp and Paint.NET. He is able to repaint the textures, but he doesn't know to to convert it into the 1MB. If he compresses the texture into 256colors, the size is always around 1.05MB and incompatible with Il-2 engine.

There are many good and very experienced modders among you here, please, could you give me any advice for him? Thank you very much,

Vasek

Your problem might be related to which graphics program you are using. I know that Paint Shop Pro, a very versatile program, for instance cannot save tga files in the correct subtype. To get around that problem, you might for instance wish to convert the files you are working on into another format first, a jpg, a psd, bmp or whatever.

When you have then finished the changes you wish to do, save in the new format, and then open GIMP, a freeware graphics program, and in that program save the file as a tga file, while making sure to turn off the rle compression option.

Of course, you can always work in GIMP too, but that particular program is not the most versatile to work in.

I think it was about turning off the RLE compression. I guess compression to 256 colors is also needed.

I will forward your message to friend.

Thank you.

Do not put rle compression on.

This is how I do it when I sometimes edit a TGA file:

-I save the TGA file as a JPG
-Repaint the JPG
-Compress into 256 colours (8-bit)
-Save as a TGA file.

Now it is 1.0 MB and can be used as a texture for your map.
I work with PhotoImpact 10.

Yes, it works now without the RLE compression.

Thank you guys.