More texture slots in load.ini?

Hi guys,

I thought I'd ask this question here to see if a collective attempt can achieve something.

The ability to have extra textures in a map would be excellent, and I'm convinced that it must be possible.

I know it's possible to have 4 images on a texture and then by carefully placing textures you get four different small areas (like delvepier did with his airfield experiments)

The ideal situation would be the ability to add full 1024tga textures in additional slots which can be displayed at default texture compression (so auto-trees would be present)

Texture placement is governed by RGB values on map_t. There are 32 texture slots, to RGB 0 - 31 control those slots. Roads and rails are also governed by map_t, adding either 32, 64 or 128 to the RGB of the underlying texture. That means most RGB values are used up.

I can't think of a way to tell a map to display extra textures even if I could add them to the load.ini

Anyway, I'd appreciate any ideas/brainstorms/suggestions etc that might help us to make some progress with this

Cheers

Joe

Quote:There are 32 texture slots, to RGB 0 - 31 control those slots

this is incorrect. my list goes to 45. Also there are other RGB values for the roads, 60 something and 80 something, i don't have the list in fornt of me at the moment. it does exsist on the forum somewhere.

it would require altering the game engine alot, i'm thinking. you would have to code a new slot name for the new slot then code that new name to connect with the new RGB value. If you can do that i'll ask you to help me with my rescue mod idea (pilot times outs too quick)

This would be really fantastic!
It needs a java expert to look at the files. I found these files which might contain it, or if not at least point to those files which contain it

com.maddox.il2.engine.Land2D
com.maddox.il2.engine.Land2DText
com.maddox.il2.engine.Land2DText$Item
com.maddox.il2.engine.Land2Dn
com.maddox.il2.engine.LandConf
com.maddox.il2.engine.LandPlate
com.maddox.il2.engine.LandType
com.maddox.il2.engine.Landscape

BTW, I find the same number of "pure" texture slots is as canon said:32

Zephyr is currently suggesting (see clickable cockpit thread) that he can do "deep modifications" to the core game engine. He has asked for suggestions of appropriate projects.

I think that the 352nd people working on their BoB map have worked out how to add more texture slots, since they appear to have full landscape textures and still be able to add as many full-resolution airfield textures as they like.

I have asked but they're unwilling to share the information with me. (I know why they're not sharing - I didn't share some information with them a year or so ago) but I think it at leasts demonstrates that it's possible.

Joe

Maybe they are using painted plates for each airfield?

That's what I thought, but they've got autotrees and the texture looks like regular ground texture.

I experimented with making large airfield plates, and it seems that the problem there is that they would suddenly pop up at a certain distance. It would be a possibility if draw distance could be increased.

canonuk said, "(I know why they're not sharing - I didn't share some information with them a year or so ago)". Does that mean that you don't share and play well with others? LOL

niassogna - over that particular issue, no, I didn't share.

But that's besides the point. I'm not asking for their information anymore. The point of this thread is to try and work out the technique.

Canon, what about posting this request in the general mods discussion forum, maybe some JAVA M8 will consider it (I don't know how many of them are reading the map forum)?