Black areas and "crease-marks" on in-game map??

I loaded an early stage WIP of my Belarus-Smolensk-Bryansk map today and the result was fuggly. The areas around the rivers was full of black spots and "creases" in the map. I am guessing that these are due to failures of the map_t and Map_c to match up re land/ water. Can someone confirm this?

Since I was primarily anxious to see if the map would load, I didn't use the coast align tool prior to disassembling the map_c and creating the map_c table. Is there anything else I should be doing to avoid these problems?

I am going to further refine my map_c and then do a second stage load trial in a week or 2. 90% of the work on my map is drawing and editing the damn rivers!

Yes, water is spilling into land on your map_t (shows up black). Had the same issue on my Denmark map to begin with. I found out that if you use a 25% scale raw map_c as a basis for your map_t, they don't line up. No amount of shifting up, down, left or right would help, seemingly the skew is 100m i.e. half of the map_t resolution. This means that you'll never get them to line up properly. :evil:

My final solution was to use a 25% map_c with land expanded into water (mask and grow mask 1 or 2 pixels - fill in value 0 for land and 32 for water). This should give you a good template for further work. The map_c will take care of water/land so even if small inland bodies of water will be rendered non-navigatable, it will still look right.

Hint on the map_h: remember to switch off lakes to sealevel in MicroDem, this will put them at their correct elevation.

A map builders dream mod would be to unify the resolution of the important maps (_h, _t, and _c) to 50m/pixel, imagine the details possible! Big Grin

I've found that the simplest solution, once you have the coast elevations sorted out with CoastAlign or by hand, is to fill the black spots with the appropriate textures using the FMB. Mind you, on a map with a load of small islands that sure was a lot of work!

:cheers:

Thanks, guys.

Yes, Redwulf is correct. I made my map_t from a 25% map_c. I'll try and work thru the solutions you suggested over the next week or so.

I used a heavy amount of blur on my water in map_c. do you think that compounded the problem?

Oh, and the weird looking "crease-marks"?

Does anyone know the cause and solution for these?

mandrill7 Wrote:Oh, and the weird looking "crease-marks"?

Does anyone know the cause and solution for these?

I've had these too. I think, although it's only a guess, that it comes from the game reassembling the strips (newMWmap_c) created with the map_c compiler. Maybe there's a bit of blurring going on somewhere.

Edit: Just re-read your initial post. I've only seen these 'creases' on reassembled map_c's; I haven't noticed them in the FMB or in-game (yet!)

I've noticed them on the Philippines map and on the Russian-made South Ukraine map. Probably on some others as well.

Would love to know how to get rid of them.

Use the "Transform" function which came with the original map_c tools
Its in the Basic Map Tools pack.

asheshouse Wrote:Use the "Transform" function which came with the original map_c tools
Its in the Basic Map Tools pack.

Merci! That worked great. The creases disappeared.

I remade the map_t and edmap_t and the black areas were reduced a little, but are still plentiful. I will keep working on the issue.

dunkelgrun Wrote:I've found that the simplest solution, once you have the coast elevations sorted out with CoastAlign or by hand, is to fill the black spots with the appropriate textures using the FMB. Mind you, on a map with a load of small islands that sure was a lot of work!

This requires using land textures and manually inserting them into the "black" areas?

If so, it seems straightforward and I have already resigned myself to a few months more labour on this project. So a little extra hard work isn't the end of the world.

mandrill7 Wrote:
dunkelgrun Wrote:I've found that the simplest solution, once you have the coast elevations sorted out with CoastAlign or by hand, is to fill the black spots with the appropriate textures using the FMB. Mind you, on a map with a load of small islands that sure was a lot of work!

This requires using land textures and manually inserting them into the "black" areas?

If so, it seems straightforward and I have already resigned myself to a few months more labour on this project. So a little extra hard work isn't the end of the world.

Yes, that's what I've done. I find that overall it's the most satisfying of the methods available to sort out the black spots, even if it is timeconsuming.