Ardennes Winter NEW

Hi everybody!

I have a big interest in The Ardennes Offensive and so I have been working on redoing the existing Ardennes Winter map which, I think everyone agrees, was one of the poorest ones in the game. I'm also a big Janes WWII fan and so thats the look I was going for. Relief map also changed to increase ground contouring.

Feedback welcome.

[Image: grab0006.jpg]

[Image: grab0005.jpg]

[Image: grab0004.jpg]

[Image: grab0000.jpg]

Map is released and is available here:

viewtopic.php?t=4548

Looks great! Please check Pm

Ya but do the gauges work?

Great work tab, really well done!

Great idea. I'm also a Jane's WWII fan, it was ahead of it's time. I think the trees were a little bit darker. Not sure it's been a while. Very nice work, it'll make these missions more enjoyable.

nice one ... i like it a lot Big Grin Big Grin

Z

Looks beautiful. Is this map will be bigger then default ?

Looks great! I agree that the trees should be darker, maybe sort of brownish. But this may not be possible.

If its the height of winter then decidous trees would have shed their leaves?
Any trees with foliage would be evergreens.. Just a thought.. Smile

@Trooper : good point. But, trees aren't white. And there are a high number of conifers in that region. Janes did their research and got it right - there used to be some aerial photos around comparing Janes to reality, and it came very close, even at the height of winter. That is the point of this mod - its is just an attempt at getting it closer. Here are a couple of web photos making the point.

[Image: 07.jpg]

[Image: 06.jpg]

[Image: 05.jpg]

[Image: 23465TArd.jpg]

... if you want darker forest .... you can use pine forest from italy_DF load.ini .... but i prefer present look though Big Grin

just a thought

Z

I did try that Zo, and I also prefer the current look....

Janes WWII;

[Image: ww22006-05-2422-49-00-93.jpg]

[Image: ww22008-01-0606-27-31-47.jpg]

@Whisky; at this point, no. To me the stock Ardennes map was just an afterthought, it has huge problems on terms of planning, and execution. You can't take off from most of the bases without going off map, etc, etc, etc.

I am looking at this project:

viewtopic.php?t=1559

As one that might just do all we want and more.

ps hey do you like a'bunadh? :wink:

I really like the look you've gone for Smile

Well done!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Timeline wise I am planning to have a beta out for testing by the end of today, and hope to release the project by this Wednesday.

tab_flettner Wrote:Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Timeline wise I am planning to have a beta out for testing by the end of today, and hope to release the project by this Wednesday.

then i would need your prefix m8 ... and here is procedure (just in case...)

(The link is inoperative)

thanks

Z