Battle of Britain 'Online' Map WIP

fabianfred - that worked perfectly - thanks Big Grin

Ashes and CW - I'm happy to collaborate. I'll share any good links I find and if I manage to develop a decent airfield template I'll happily share Smile

canonuk Wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.

If you lay down invisbile plates, how do you know their orientation?

If you want to see someone not spending much time fussing with the invisible plates, open up the Desert Online map in the modified FMB... you'll see they just plastered blank plates all over the runway area. :wink:

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

lol Smile Sounds like a good plan Big Grin

so as not to waste resources.....best to lay down visible plates first....then change each one to invisible later

Or just place ivsible one and remember its size (it matches to grid). Keep rotation 0

Quote:Thanks, I'll try that.

If you lay down invisbile plates, how do you know their orientation?

Lay out green parking plate how you want. When your done, select all of the plates so the icons are red. then click on each one at a time turning its icon yellow then scrolling with your "home" and "end" keys on your keyboard to select blank plate. Work through until all are blank. Seems you can only change one at a time, but it works.

Hint: After you've made it all invisible, always have the blank plate turned off in display. It is VERY easy to accidentally move one of these while editing the airfield and not notice it's happened, causing landing gear to break off and other bumps and such.

Edit: oh, and only ever dead flat ground.

Cheers, Neil Smile

Thanks for the advice, all Smile

I thought I'd post pics of my first fully working airfield. Caffiers Airfield, one-time home to JG 26 consisted basically of a large field without any obvious strips. Aircraft were kept in hidden dispersals in woodland around the outside of the field. So, I've tried to get it as close to my sources as I can.

I've managed to get the aircraft to taxi exactly how I want them too, and it looks great when a couple of aircraft come into land at the same time Big Grin

[Image: caf_0.jpg]

[Image: caf_2.jpg]

[Image: caf_3.jpg]

[Image: caf_1.jpg]

Joe

When you map makers make all those maps which are in progress right now, this is going to be the best Sturmovik patch ever!
Big Grin

Ooh. I/JG2! A geschwader dear to my heart.What mrkings are you using? Default, skin, or MAT manager?
Looks great Canon. so that pic of all the thin dirt tracks is actually the airstrip? Cool.
Just thought about the tree objects you're using. Those one disappear quite short distances so I tend to sprinkle a few of the ugly but visible at longer distances dark green trees. I forget the FMB number but they're near the ones you're using. That way at least you don't get the entire 'forest' springing out at you at once.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FlatSpinMan's evil Haxxorroxorz bruvva

Looking good Joe, I bet that when you skinned that 109 you'd never have believed you be the first person to build it a home base on the Channel Front :mrgreen:

Nocturnum: The markings on the first aircraft are part of the skin (Helmut Wick). The other ones have been added by the games default marking system. I can never get Mat_Manager to work Wink

Thanks for the tip about trees - I'll try and mix and match Smile

Willy: Yep, and I'm really chuffed. I love Battle of Britain Emils (my favourite 109 variant) so it's so nice to be able to take off in France and fly over Dover Big Grin That's why I just had to make the Channel as my first map Big Grin

Joe

Hey guys,

Finally, an update from me.

I've extended my map east so that I'm able to include two of the airfields I researched at the archives - St Omer and Calais-Marck.

The plan and position (and rough type) of buildings is all based on authentic 1940s aerial photos of the airfield, so it's as close as you'll get to the real thing Wink

I've discovered that the AI is capable of following some pretty complex taxi routes. During the Battle of Britain many Luftwaffe units had their dispersals amongst the hedgerows, and deliberately left the hedges in place so they were'nt obvious. I think I've managed to get a good feel for that with my dispersal areas. Photos from Calais-Marck show that they used haystacks alongside their netting - I think it's a nice look.

Comments welcome Smile

[Image: calais1.jpg]

[Image: calais2.jpg]

[Image: calais3.jpg]

[Image: calais4.jpg]

Joe

MMMM Heystacks! When you stumble at a heystack, it burns and you must inhale... 8) Its cool to do some ground attacks... Nice screenies...

looking good...you should try using my new netting without posts...the 4m. high one is right for fighters.... and make sure the haystacks are far enough apart to allow to taxi inbetween them :wink:

Looking very very good... We appreciate the work going into these maps!