Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

Asheshouse,

It's looking realy good, looking forward to a bit of BEF v's the Luftwaffe.

Not sure if you have this link for map info: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/france/

It is from one of the links I have posted in the Information thread.

CW

One more bridge to the west or east over the Nieuwe Maas is unknown to me. The railway and road bridge both run northwest-southeast over the island. It could be that you took the Maastunnel that was being built in 1940 for a bridge. They used the ventilation building on the northern bank as artillery observation point for shelling the airfield Waalhaven. Need any info? Got books about bridges.

By the way, the germans used the parking space of the football stadium Feijenoord as auxillary airstrip. The Aviation department sent Fokker reconnaisance biplanes to bomb both fields.

Edit - Nieuwe Maas in stead of Oude Maas.

So in 1940 there should only be two bridges? Is that correct?

These would be the rail viaduct and a road bridge.
After a quick Google I see both of these in 1940 photos after the bombing of Rotterdam.

The road and rail bridges need to be close together and the rail viaduct should remain elevated to the south.

More like this perhaps?

[Image: Screenshot-25.jpg]

Asheshouse - you're doing stunningly good (and HARD) work. Keep going mate.

The railway bridge is the eastern one and placed higher than the road bridge. The road bridge is at street level. The new road bridge is not on the same spot as the old one. The railway is in a tunnel now.

The railway viaduct is over 800 meters long on the north bank through the old city centre. The railway viaduct was a demand from the city so the traffic in the city would not be affected. The railway viaduct is built on the filled up old trajectory of the river Rotte. South the railway was on an embankment.

A map:
http://members.home.nl/bpieterson/Rotte ... ap1876.jpg

Here's another attempt, with the bridges in the correct order.
Thanks for the detailed map. I will use that to add more detail to the river banks later.

[Image: Screenshot-26.jpg]

Did you see these?:

http://appl.gemeentearchief.rotterdam.n ... .showframe (and click on Centrum-1940-Rhijn and PlancStationBeurs-1940)

[EDIT] This link might help in finding some inspiration from the pictures of pre-war Rotterdam:
http://www.oud-rotterdam.nl/

Great links. Thanks. I will add them to my references listed on page 12.

asheshouse This Project is simply Amazing!

My Buddy and I are big time Template building fans, but thats with the FMB on existing maps!
You have no Idea how many times I've said, I wish we could alter this map!

Watching you do this, and with the historical detail that you've put into it is thrilling!

I can't wait to get my hands on the finished product and start building Campaings in the FMB!

BTW: Do you have a round about Idea as to when you think this project might be complete and slated for release?

Edit: No rush ment at all, just filled with Curiosity and Anticipation!

Dixiecapt -- I always intended to make the basic map files available for those who were interested as soon as possible. For the first issue the map will be very incomplete, but it will be good to begin to get feedback and enable others to start scenery building for locations they are interested in.

For now the map is more or less complete for coastlines, rivers, principal roads, rail, bridges, principal forest areas and city/town ground textures. There will be errors in what has been done but they can be sorted later.

I have inserted a number of generic airfields. They are based on the layout of Calais-Marck. I want to copy a few more of these just to provide an indication of the airfield locations. More work can be done to make each field unique later.

I need to edit the map_T to show field textures. I intend to use two basic styles, irregular fields for France changing to a more regular pattern for Netherlands. The field textures need to be limited to the lower areas retaining a more general pasture type pattern for higher areas.

I have started to work on the Dunkirk layout. This will only have outline details at present but I want to get the east and west moles correct and improve the outline of the jetties within the harbour. The objects and style of Dunkirk can then be used to work up the other harbours later.

It would be nice to get all of this done within 2 weeks -- but much depends on work pressures.

Is it Possible to place Items on the Beta version of your map as you spoke of, and then have those Items be there on the Finished version later on?

I mean for example I have a Singapore template that my buddy and I spent 5 months on, and covered it in thousands, and thousands of objects. So it would be rough to build Scenery on the Beta version of your (Wonderful) map, (Because I plan to go All Out!) and then have to do the work all over again on a finished version.

Something tells me that its possible to have the items show up on the finished version as they were on the beta, but I just wanted to ask before I started peering over pictures of NE France to match the object scenery.

Yes. It is possible, provided the process is managed.

using the Full Mission Builder (FMB) in Map editing mode, scenery models can be created and saved in actors.static files.

Different versions of actors.static can be combined in FMB so that if one person builds an airfield or a town this can then be combined with the master file.

There are also tools available to convert actors.static to a text file which then allows you to paste in lines from a *.mis file. I've never tried this method but others are using it successfully.

Once the actors.static file becomes large only the second method will work, so I will have to learn how to use it eventually.

Heading for France from Dover

[Image: Screenshot-28.jpg]

asheshouse Wrote:Once the actors.static file becomes large only the second method will work, so I will have to learn how to use it eventually.

have no fear ... it works like a charm .... nothing more complicated than pasting objects from one mis file to another ...

BTW, great work you've done here .... i stand ashamed with my poor BoB Normandy in compare ....fantastic Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Z

Theres nothing poor about Normandy. That was the catalyst that got all the map making going, and look where its lead to. Smile