Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

Thats what got me started. I figured if Zo can add land to the Normandy map, than surely I can make a completely new map. Big Grin

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

yup, dream has become true Big Grin

thanks,

Z

An MS-406 of the l'Armee de l'Air flies past Dunkirk. (Harbour now edited to 1940's condition. East mole, on the left, became crucial for docking of vessels during the evacuation.) Might have the lighthouse on the wrong mole -- oops! :oops:

[Image: Screenshot-29.jpg]

You really need new MS406 skins Tongue

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Is this better?

This shot shows the evacuation beaches east of the harbour. Quite a bit of re-texturing to do. Need some sand dunes, and the built up area needs to be reduced a lot, but its beginning to shape up. I think there was a large oil storage area just out of shot to the right, but I've not found any photos of that yet. Despite the availability of crane objects in FMB I don't think it would be accurate to show many. Most of the unloading was still done either by hand or using ship mounted cranes at that time, at least thats what it was like at Dover.

The Moles are formed with two of the larger jetty segments back to back. I've kept the water shallow on the line of the mole (on map_c) so that you get the water colour change next to the structure.

I'm forming the entrance to the inner dock using concrete ground plates. Only one side of the entrance is done so far.

Its a pity that its not possible to lock together groups of objects. Its too easy to disturb things. I've also not yet discovered any "Undo" feature in Map Editor. That would save a lot of troubles.

Any French viewers may note the importance I'm attaching to sorting out the evacuation beaches before getting involved in anything else. :lol:

[Image: Screenshot-30.jpg]

Ashes, if you allow for 4.09, you might consider the kronstadt ground plate objects. Some are seaside.

tater

asheshouse Wrote:I've also not yet discovered any "Undo" feature in Map Editor. That would save a lot of troubles.
I know what you mean. I work with Pro-Engineer Wildfire. It too doesn't have an undo function. You start to work in a weird way.

Change a bit
Save
Change another bit
Save
Add a bit
Save
Move a piece
Save
Change a.... Ooops!!! Close window, erase memory, reload last saved. :roll:

I turn hide every object type I don't absolutely need to have up there.

Might be interesting to try to bind "select" to having the caps lock key depressed. Then you could turn caps lock off and never accidentally grab something when you are just scrolling around.

would set it off nicely for some JG26 abbeville missions with this map available

Any information on Abbeville airfield will be gratefully received. Smile

I'm currently working on Dunkirk scenery, which has involved editing the coastline adjusting road/rail links, bit of retexturing --- oh! and adding a few objects. Dunkirk will give me an "in map" palette of scenery objects to work on other harbours with.

But before going on to do the other main ports I want to properly sort out a selection of airfields around the map. Abbeville is likely to be on the list of those which I will do early on.

I don't have much info on Luftwaffe airfields in Germany, where early BoF missions would have been flown from. Its possible that some of the key airfields are "off map". Limit of the map to the east is Munchen Gladbach and the west edge of Krefeld and south as far as Luxembourg. I my be forced to use a little map makers licence and paste some large fictitious airfields on the eastern edge of the map.

On the northern edge I have already decided to shift RAF Martlesham south a few miles to fit it on. There were Blenheims flying out of there.

This map is looking extremely awesome! How soon until we see a beta?

Progress is slow at the moment -- but its still progressing.

I still intend to issue the map files when the map is in a fairly raw unpopulated state, but I really want to get a few key areas worked up to a good level of detail before I do that.

I'm afraid its taking longer than expected.

No problem dude, take your time. The longer it takes the better the result :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Forces-Con ... B000AN5E44

Get these books, they have tons of bda images

I personally cannot wait to see it. I do not have the knowledge to build one, but i hope you do. Good luck, and I will stay tuned patiently.