Battle of France Map - Part 2 - WIP

A minor update on progress. -- slow!

However, Dunkirk is taking shape. Here is the harbour. During the evacuation the inner harbour soon became untenable for shipping and most boarding was carried out from the east mole, on the other side of the harbour. The evacuation beaches and dunes are beyond. The fuel storage tanks didn't last long when the Luftwaffe arrived. The smoke from these burning was a significant benefit to the ground troops though because it provided a smoke screen for them. The plume of smoke over Dunkirk was visible from a considerable distance.

[Image: Screenshot-30.jpg]

I always wanted more smoke........that's why I'm always asking about a delayed start for the smoke/lights/fire Objects Cry

Awesome, lots of innovative ideas for object placement seems to be the order of the day. I think it's great that the new maps all have their own distinctive look.

I guess those airfield plates are visible for some distance eh?

I've got an idea formin' in my 'ead Idea

Cheers, Neil Smile

Neil Lowe Wrote:Awesome, lots of innovative ideas for object placement seems to be the order of the day. I think it's great that the new maps all have their own distinctive look.

Cheers, Neil Smile

They are visible from a long way off, which I think is good because you spot the outline of the harbour early. But the colour is too light. It would be better if they were a darker, oil stained concrete, like the grey shades on the ground on the factory area textures.

asheshouse Wrote:
Neil Lowe Wrote:Awesome, lots of innovative ideas for object placement seems to be the order of the day. I think it's great that the new maps all have their own distinctive look.

Cheers, Neil Smile

They are visible from a long way off, which I think is good because you spot the outline of the harbour early. But the colour is too light. It would be better if they were a darker, oil stained concrete, like the grey shades on the ground on the factory area textures.

Change the texture ,if you can't do it I'm sure one of the skinners will do it for you. In fact you can clone existing airfield plate and create new one.

FC

asheshouse Wrote:.. But the colour is too light. It would be better if they were a darker, oil stained concrete, like the grey shades on the ground on the factory area textures.

Yeah messed with the black matting a while back cloning it, making it a lighter colour etc. seemed to work ok. You could probably give the texture an alpha channel (like the grass plates) and get some interesting shapes going if you needed.

Beats me why they (pier objects) were made so small in the first place, as you need so many of them to make a reasonably sized pier. I guess that's why the have such a short draw distance :d'oh:

Ideal would be a long pier object (low poly) with a looong draw distance. Idea

Cheers, Neil Smile

Sounds interesting. I don't know enough about creating new plates, so would have to learn.
I would rather press on with general mapping for the moment.

Will it be easy to swap them later?
Won't be able to just swap all of the concrete plates because some will be used for airfields.

The existing plates are about the right width, but could do with being longer.
The set of riverside embankment objects provides a good choice of lengths 50m 100m 200m
-- but it would also be useful to have curved sections. Think of Scalectric sets.

In fact could the existing riverside embankment set be cloned to make quay sides, with the railing removed?

The other scenery plates which would be useful to expand the choice of is rail track.
You only have one straight and two points sets to choose from.

I have already done a small area of rail sidings east of Dunkirk.

Quote:Will it be easy to swap them later?
Won't be able to just swap all of the concrete plates because some will be used for airfields.

Not if you've used them elsewhere in the map you wouldn't want changed. Otherwise you'd just edit the actors.static in a hex editor to call on the similarly named new object/s when your ready. Did that with some trees I was messing with, was able to swap different ones in and out with relative ease.

Cheers, Neil Smile

I guess when the time comes I can make a temporary copy of my map. Change all the concrete tiles on the temp copy and then cut and paste the harbour areas back into the main map. Probably wont take very long because there are only a few harbours large enough to justify using these concrete tiles.

[Image: Screenshot-33.jpg]

Moving across to Dover -- early stage modelling of the harbour.
The strips of land on the line of the breakwaters is being used as a visual guide.
Angle of breakwaters is restricted by game engine object rotation limits.
They will get dropped below sea level when the breakwaters and main quays are all in place.
Modified map_c to show water in old inner harbours

[Image: Screenshot-34.jpg]

Basic outline of Dover Harbour is complete. A little bit of coastline adjustment to do.
The enclosed docks in the left foreground are the old harbour, mainly used by small fishing boats and pleasure yachts. To the right foreground is the rail ferry terminal and main cross channel ferry pier. The naval jetties were at the far side, where the present day car ferry terminal is. I recall seeing a photo of hardened concrete shelters for submarines in that area (post war photo). Mustr try and track that down.

Later the buildings can be added. Dover Castle, Langdon Battery to the east. Western Heights battery to the west. Has anyone succeeded in making radar masts yet? They were up near the Langdon Battery to the east.

[Image: Screenshot-35.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-36.jpg]

This stuff is incredible! You are indeed an artiste. Big Grin

Here is an amendment with the concrete surface darkened using Fabianfred's textures.
Not sure which I prefer. The repeating pattern is fairly strong using these.

[Image: Screenshot-37.jpg]

The originals look far to light, and FF's look great but a little too dark. Maybe a slightly lighter compromise?
Have to say though, the lower pic is still the favourite using freds colour change..