Building Airfield reference site

ashes:

Before you get too involved in this, remember that I'm revisiting the archive to improve the detail and information on my diagrams. So, don't make too much yet. Once I have the complete info (including scale and orientation) I'll be sure to re-draw Beauvais first.

Joe

I think Beauvais is actually off the bottom of my current map. I was just using that image to figure out how it all worked. Merville would be nice to have early though, if possible.

CW - I will try out the ,-2 multiplier. That should give a big enough area to cover any airfield.
----- Having tried it I see that only -2 works so maximum size is 3200x3200m, big enough for any airfield.

asheshouse Wrote:I think Beauvais is actually off the bottom of my current map. I was just using that image to figure out how it all worked. Merville would be nice to have early though, if possible.

I have Merville in 1940.. early enough? Wink

Big Grin

Merville 1940 would be great.

Now slightly off topic but to do with using textures as templates.
I've gone back to harbours. This is an extract from a Boulogne 1940 map.
I've selected a 3200x3200m square and sized it to 1024x1024 pixels. I had to invert the image otherwise it appeared burned out in the game map.
I've got it inserted into a temporary map to scale and can now accurately assemble the harbour and buildings, and then copy and paste them into my main map. Technique seems to work well and very quick to prepare the images.

[Image: Screenshot-41.jpg]

Found two images of another aerodrome in northern France, called Berck (sur Mer). It's just south of Boulogne and north of Abeville:

[Image: aerodromeberck19471ler8.jpg]

[Image: aerodromeberck19472ltu1.jpg]

I went to the archives again today and collected absolutely loads of photographs and diagrams of airfields.

I'll keep you all posted!

Are the dates of the images of Abbeville - Berck sur Mer known?

I've got archive photos of that field, and that looks like 1943/44

Not sure but I think in the Abbeville Berck sur Mer photos that might be the old 1940's airfield on the right, with a new Luftwaffe airfield constructed on the left.
I'm vaguely recall that the 1940's field was a grass strip, as were most of the strips in NE France. Some small fields were built by the Royal Engineers in the phoney war period.

IIRC these were shots taken in 1947, two years after the war. I'll see if I can still google the source.

[EDIT] Here you go:
http://berckhisto.free.fr/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=215

It seems that the definitive information on French airfields is on CD-Rom
Atlas historique des terrains d

Hmmm... ISBN 2-11-095385-3

I have tracked down the source of the French publication, Atlas historique des terrains d

I release some nice informations about an typical NW-german airfield: (it shows the airfield of Marx)

(The link is inoperative)

and

(The link is inoperative)