Revise Sands of Time

Here is an idea/request:

Could someone revise the Sands of Time map using the same city names so that it is therefore compatable with existing DGEN. In other words, make a more realistic map that would then overwrite the existing Sands of Time data but look much more like the North African coast of Libyia, Tunisia and Egypt and perhaps have the southern tip of Sicily in it as well. I think there are enough markers and aifields to work with.

ps. I am glad to see that a number of people have finally put in an effort to crack some of these files to do these mods. Its long overdue. :wink:

why? when something like that is close from an alpha version? :wink:
Wait for that one before changing the Dgen Big Grin ..and the final malta also....and the tunesia map from maraz...
THe lybian map will not be necessary dogfight-friendly...but for coop pilots ...take your navigation tables!
:twisted:
[Image: tobruk-map.jpg]

wingstrut Wrote:Here is an idea/request:

Could someone revise the Sands of Time map using the same city names so that it is therefore compatable with existing DGEN. In other words, make a more realistic map that would then overwrite the existing Sands of Time data but look much more like the North African coast of Libyia, Tunisia and Egypt and perhaps have the southern tip of Sicily in it as well. I think there are enough markers and aifields to work with.

ps. I am glad to see that a number of people have finally put in an effort to crack some of these files to do these mods. Its long overdue. :wink:

i believe vpmedia did three or four versions of that map ..... and his work is IMHO the best it can be

look for them at maps download ...... AAA community map pack and Default Map Upgrade pack

it is really the best you can have

Z

Hello wingstrut,

Vpmedia has uploaded a default map upgrade pack which relooks the sands of time map, among others. We can also change the names of cities and places of this map, by modifying these into DGen briefing files. If you try my Tunisia campaigns included in French Wings 1943-1945, you will realize that I use Tunisia city names in the briefings (Kasserine, Bizerte, etc.), and they work well with the upgraded map by vpmedia. However this map has nothing to do with the real geography of Northern Africa.

What you are looking for is maybe different: are you looking for a completely different coastline and proper topography? Then at the moment we do not have this, and I believe that we will never have DGen.exe supporting a new modded map... unless:

I wonder whether we can "trick" DGen.exe, by replacing the Sands of Time map of the game by a different one, for instance the new MTO one but with the name of the sands of time map, making DGen.exe "believe" that we use the Sands of Time map. Then maybe we could have DGen campaigns working on this map, which would take the place of the Sands of Time map?

Cheers,

Vincent