Tramecourt airfield

Copied this from an external thread

Skua,

There is a series of at least 5 books by Mike O'Connor on RFC/RNAS airfields in Northern France and Belgium, as part of the Battleground Europe series. They are available through Amazon. Having been to a number of them myself, I must admit there's generally not much left apart from farmer's fields however, the view from above St.Eloi is certainly worth the look. Vert Galand and Bertangles are on a major road just north of Amiens, and Villers-Brettoneux is just out to the east. In addition to the British Air Services Memorial at St.Omer, there is a CWGC Flying Services Memorial at Arras.

SkippedOnce

Tramecourt was there in WW1 so perhaps these will help.

I've asked about this issue at the Luftarchi.de forum, and this is the interesting reply I received:

[quote]Tramecourt is a very touchy and strange airfield.
I do only have one information about the usage of this airfield: IV.(St.)/Lehrgeschwader 1 and this with different statements for the dates.
In one of the Findbuch of Bundesarchiv/Milit

Asheshouse : could you let me have the info you have on Saint Pol - Nuncq (from your Cd ROM)

Extract from Atlas Historique des Terrains d'Aviation

This is all that there is on St-Pol Nuncq
The concrete runways were built by the Luftwaffe.
The publication is not comprehensive. For example Caffiers is not listed.

Other web references to Framecourt refer to aircraft being based there to protect King George who was in residence at the nearby Chateau Framecourt. That is on the north side of Framecourt village. So maybe St-Pol is not Framecourt Airfield?

In map building terms, I think its interesting that the field pattern is maintained right up to the edge of the runway. Perhaps this was encouraged as a camouflage measure?

[Image: St-Pol-Nuncq.jpg]

Available from: Mission m

That's the one! I've managed to place that photograph on Google Earth, and it's just below Framecourt. Nothing is left of the airfield except a hangar/building block, and the dispersal wood.

I've just done this animation quickly:

[Image: framecourt.gif]

I've managed to match those up exactly. Thanks so much!

So, Tramecourt is actually Framecourt which is actually Nuncq-Hautecote which is actuall Saint Pol - Nuncq!

Sheesh!

Brilliant! I love that animation.

Here is a link to a slightly higher res. copy of the image

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff11 ... 52-001.jpg

and I think I can guarantee that you will like this

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff11 ... e/d052.jpg

The concrete runways are each listed as 950 x 50 metres. The site was requisitioned in October 1939 and handed over to the British forces for their use prior to falling under German control. The green line marks the limit of the field when in British use. The details in black are Luftwaffe construction, but not sure how much of the new concrete works were there in the BoB period, possibly none of it.

---but you do realise that there are two places, Framecourt and Tramecourt, at long/lat 50,19/2,18 and 50,27/2,9 , so maybe there is still a missing airfield?

Thanks asheshouse: I've been offline the last week but your links are certainly welcome, and very useful!